Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
This question may be better aimed at a steering wheel enthusiasts forum, if there is such a thing, but thought I’d run it past you erudite folk first.
I recently bought this moto-lita online and am delighted with the look, but only on receiving it did I realise that the centre hole is smaller than the current ones. The boss it came with (not motolita branded and with no number markings) sort of fits on the column of my early spit (and the horn works!) but it rubs and graunches a bit on the flange.
Looking at ML ‘s site tells me they can supply a B20 S/C. (small centre) boss that should fit better so i have it ordered, but I’m struggling to find any other info on these small centred wheels, other than that they are early and quite rare.
Does anyone know the story behind them, what if anything they were originally fitted to and and when, and why they were discontinued? To my eye it looks rather better than the current larger style.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
ED783838-68A0-42E6-BE5F-93D57BFEB937.jpeg    39.7 KB
ED783838-68A0-42E6-BE5F-93D57BFEB937.jpeg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
John,
I have no direct knowledge, but would remind you that the Triumph steering column was used by a wide range of low production makers over quite a few years. So something originally specified for (as an example) a Gilbern might now be available as an aftermarket wheel.
All the best,
Paul

Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster
1970 Triumph TR6
1978 Triumph GT6 "Scooter"
1978 Triumph Spitfire "Scooter"    & more
Paul and John
I have one of the small opening Moto Lita wheels with wooden surround. It came in a kit for the clamp on hub for the TR2-3. They had a bolt that slide into the shaft, kind of like the universal on the steering column on the Spitfire and other Triumph cars.
I'm in the process of having a small hub center turned down to fit the smaller ring and have already drilled out the holes. Still has 9 holes
My buddy with a Cobra recalls seeing them on the repo's.
I got it for the Roadster, but decided not to lose the original controls. It is a odd ball, but will look great on the TR6. Oh, has about 1 1/2 inch dish.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
The steering column is adjustable, so if it rubs it just needs adjusting.
Moto-lita made wheels to serve the aftermarket as well as some OE manufacturers.

I am a bit confused by your OP if you are talking about a small centered wheel or the wheel to column adaptor.

As Paul says, the Triumph column was used on many cars Lotus, TVR, Bond etc. Many added their own selected wheel from an aftermarket supplier (such as Les Leston, moto-lita, MilleMiglia, Formuling)

Yes No Thank
MCJ1 Mike J
Flintshire, North Wales, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1602030 by Efp This question may be better aimed at a steering wheel enthusiasts forum, if there is such a thing, but thought I’d run it past you erudite folk first.
I recently bought this moto-lita online and am delighted with the look, but only on receiving it did I realise that the centre hole is smaller than the current ones. The boss it came with (not motolita branded and with no number markings) sort of fits on the column of my early spit (and the horn works!) but it rubs and graunches a bit on the flange.
Looking at ML ‘s site tells me they can supply a B20 S/C. (small centre) boss that should fit better so i have it ordered, but I’m struggling to find any other info on these small centred wheels, other than that they are early and quite rare.
Does anyone know the story behind them, what if anything they were originally fitted to and and when, and why they were discontinued? To my eye it looks rather better than the current larger style.

That does look rather nice.

Yes No Thank
Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
Sorry guys if I didn’t make myself clear.

The centre hole encircled by the bolts on a current moto-lita wheel has a diameter of 82.8mm while my wheel’s hole measures just 57.2mm, thus requires a different sized boss/adaptor/hub, whatever you like to call it, attached by the nine bolts, between it and the steering column itself.

I attach a picture I’ve just found of another small centre wheel alongside a standard wheel for comparison.

Moto-lita sell a vast range of bosses/ hubs to interface their standard 82.8 hole wheels with car makers’ different columns, diameters, spline counts etc, but only one boss that fits the small 57.2 hole wheel, the H20S/C, which luckily for me, fits the Spitfire column splines. Also various Reliant, TVR and Lotus cars

So my query was really on the small wheel internal hole size and it’s history, and only incidentally on the boss, though I am curious as to why M-L only make a single boss for it.

Attachments:
56591D05-D6AB-4D44-9CC6-9E2D33AC1B8E.jpeg    36.5 KB
56591D05-D6AB-4D44-9CC6-9E2D33AC1B8E.jpeg

79E2CDD3-24AA-4EF8-9948-C5371A76793C.jpeg    32.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6
John, the first wheel is the one I have, small center hole for the TR6 now.. I'll try and get a picture of the hub in a few days as it's at a friends shop to be turned down.
The hub was designed for the large hole but it had the small OD hole edge for the small wheel. I'm thinking it's so the original horn button could fit into the center.
I did search for the correct hub for the '78 Spitfire, but could only come up with the later large hole one as the splines are different. So I took the wheel off the TR6 and will fit it on the large one for the later Spitfire and will use the reworked hub I had for a TR6 on this one. It's never easy.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Yes No Thank
Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
Hi Wayne
This is the new B20 SC boss that arrived this morning from Moto-Lita, if it helps. As luck would have it I’m away from the car for the next week so can’t fit it, but it looks right. Pretty certain that original horn button and associated clip should just drop straight in there.
As for the wheel itself, guess I’ll just ask the company direct what the story is re the small centres.

Attachments:
86259F88-ACDB-41AB-ACA4-54D56B474EB3.jpeg    16.4 KB
86259F88-ACDB-41AB-ACA4-54D56B474EB3.jpeg

90A9491A-F0C3-40F0-A90F-1A6ED0950968.jpeg    24 KB
F57CC9C8-9B05-4558-80B5-50CCD46C2727.jpeg    18.2 KB
Yes No Thank
Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
Wayne, a further thought. The boss which came with my wheel when I bought it is now surplus. The front face and splines are perfect for your wheel, it’s just the rear end that would need a little machining to fit into the column cowl better. It’s not a moto-lita original part and looks a bit rough, but you’re welcome to it if you want.

Yes No Thank
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
1970 Triumph TR6
John, what a great gesture. I would be happy to get the right one and will be glad to pay for and cost you incur.
PM is being sent..

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Yes No Thank
Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
Reply sent.

Yes No Thank
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I think I like the way the small boss hub looks better than the large one. Will keep this in mind for my TR4A.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster