Mk3 Hardtop rear seal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
I have an original hard top and glass. It seems the glass is either to big or the seal is wrong. The issue is in the corners, there is not enough room to fit the chunk of rubber between the edge of the glass and the hard top. The seal came from James Paddock in the UK. Was there variation in the overall width of glass or different seals?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601419 by carpecursusII I have an original hard top and glass. It seems the glass is either to big or the seal is wrong. The issue is in the corners, there is not enough room to fit the chunk of rubber between the edge of the glass and the hard top. The seal came from James Paddock in the UK. Was there variation in the overall width of glass or different seals?

Hi Drew H,

I don’t have a Spirtfire hardtop or car but have put windows in a number of different cars and hardtops. Are you sure the glass is oriented correctly and the original glass for the top. If so it might just need to be massaged in the rubber and top frame especially if the glass and seal has slipped down a small amount in the process of installing the window. Also did you start the installation from the bottom, I mean pulling the cord out from the bottom to seat the seal and window in the frame or did you start at the top. Starting at the bottom center is the best way as it lets the weight of the window and seal help seat the window and seal. Also a lot of lube will help let you move the seal and window around in the frame during installation.

Hope this helps.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Yes No Thank
carpecursusII Drew H
Unless there is a small differences between round tail hard tops I have the correct triplex marked glass. I started at the bottom. I've put a free windshields in so I'm familiar with the process. When I set the raw glass into the opening there is visible room for the rubber along the top and bottom but not along the vertical sections.

Yes No Thank
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601448 by carpecursusII Unless there is a small differences between round tail hard tops I have the correct triplex marked glass. I started at the bottom. I've put a free windshields in so I'm familiar with the process. When I set the raw glass into the opening there is visible room for the rubber along the top and bottom but not along the vertical sections.

Hi Drew H,

From your post it sounds like your glass in not for the hardtop you have. I think the square tail Spitfire hard tops are just a little wider than the round tail models and if the glass you have did not come out of the top you have then I would think your glass is for a square tail hardtop and not a round tail.
You might want to take a photo of the glass sitting in the hardtop to show how much to large the glass is compared to the top. You could always have a good glass shop trim the edges to fit the top with the seal but that is a last resort.

Hope this helps.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Yes No Thank
carpecursusII Drew H
The glass is tempered therefore cannot be trimmed. It is my understanding that square tails had corners, my glass is rounded. It's maybe a 1/4" too large

Yes No Thank
TRevor Avatar
TRevor Trevor Jones
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Hi Drew
I had a similar problem with Mk3. I got a old time glass guy who fitted with a generic rubber he supplied.
See if you can find someone like I did.

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1601477 by MHKflyer52
In reply to # 1601448 by carpecursusII Unless there is a small differences between round tail hard tops I have the correct triplex marked glass. I started at the bottom. I've put a free windshields in so I'm familiar with the process. When I set the raw glass into the opening there is visible room for the rubber along the top and bottom but not along the vertical sections.

Hi Drew H,

From your post it sounds like your glass in not for the hardtop you have. I think the square tail Spitfire hard tops are just a little wider than the round tail models and if the glass you have did not come out of the top you have then I would think your glass is for a square tail hardtop and not a round tail.
You might want to take a photo of the glass sitting in the hardtop to show how much to large the glass is compared to the top. You could always have a good glass shop trim the edges to fit the top with the seal but that is a last resort.

Hope this helps.

cool smiley
Martin,
The rear hardtop glass is not similar. . Round tail has glass curved similarly to the windshield. Square tail glass is much flatter and square cornered.
All the best,
Paul

Yes No Thank
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Drew- did the top and the glass come to you installed, or were they separate? In other words, does this top go with this glass?

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Yes No Thank
carpecursusII Drew H
It was not installed, the car came with two hard tops and one glass. My fear is that each glass was trimmed to fit each top and there is large variation in the tops. I have sold the other top.

Yes No Thank
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601549 by carpecursusII It was not installed, the car came with two hard tops and one glass. My fear is that each glass was trimmed to fit each top and there is large variation in the tops. I have sold the other top.
Forgive me, but these cars weren't exactly hammered out by hand; there should be no "large variation in the tops"! I suspect something is amiss with the seal, which is the only piece "known" not to be an original.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yes No Thank
carpecursusII Drew H
Ok, does anyone have info on different seals that people are selling

Yes No Thank
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Don't get me started on round-tail hardtops and glass. If you do a search on this site, you will find out what problems I had. Thus, my assumption that there were indeed a good number of variances in the tops and glass had to be mixed and matched to the tops.

That said, I ended up using the rear hatch seal from a GT6 (recommended to me by Nigel Cosh at Spitbits). The corners do not match that of the Spit Roundtail Hardtop but after a while, they ended up conforming and in the end worked out quite well.

Joe

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1601549 by carpecursusII It was not installed, the car came with two hard tops and one glass. My fear is that each glass was trimmed to fit each top and there is large variation in the tops. I have sold the other top.

Drew,
The hole in this is the glass is tempered. No trimming. It will shatter if cut.
All the best,
Paul

+1 Yes No Thank
  Herald948 thanked spitfire50 for this post
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601557 by Herald948
Forgive me, but these cars weren't exactly hammered out by hand; there should be no "large variation in the tops"! I suspect something is amiss with the seal, which is the only piece "known" not to be an original.

This.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 09:11 PM by grubscrew.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Herald948 thanked grubscrew for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster