Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tr0078 Bradley Vermont
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Hi folks,

My first time posting on here so apologies if I break any subtle etiquette...

I have 2 projects on the go at the moment, a Mk3 GT6 and a collection of parts that will become a Spitfire 1500.
I say parts because at the time I acquired the Spit it was just a body tub and interior, and was intended to be donor parts for the GT6.
I since got my hands on a 1500 bonnet and an earlier chassis, so I have enough of a car to make it viable in it's own right.

Converting the earlier chassis to suit the 1500 bonnet has prompted some questions about the later hinge bracket locations.
I have already cut off the earlier hinges and have a pair of the new 1500 brackets from Rimmers.

I had thought it would be simple to take measurements off my GT6 chassis to accurately locate the new brackets - but now that I have paid closer attention to the GT6 it is clear the front crossmember has been replaced with box section and I'm no longer confident that everything lines up as it should.

Working from the workshop manual dimensions I have plenty of information about locating the hinge brackets in the axis perpendicular to the car centreline. I'm in the process of making a jig to position them accordingly.
What I don't have is a clear dimension how far forward of the front crossmember the brackets should end up. The manual doesn't give any dimension further forward of the outermost holes in the crossmember.
The new brackets don't fit sufficiently well for me to be confident about them. Each side of the bracket has two skins - on the outer side of each, I will either need to trim the inside skin or add a fillet plate to the outside skin to finish up square to the chassis. (perhaps both)

So Question 1 - Is anyone able to help with a dimension where the front of the hinge bracket ends up forward of the crossmember?

Question 2 - The same brackets on my GT6 chassis and pretty much all of the images I have seen online have a heavy plate at the end of the bracket - about 9mm thick steel with two holes cut into it where the hinges mount.
(the blue chassis in the pics is my sad looking GT6) I can't see these illustrated in the workshop manual or parts book. Anyone have any clues where these come from and whether they are necessary?

Not sure if relevant but I'm in Australia so the Spitfire is chrome bumper from factory (1978) - we didn't get any rubber ones down here as far as I know

Many thanks to anyone who can assist

Cheers,

Brad

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20190105_163405.jpg    41.5 KB
IMG_20190105_163405.jpg

IMG_20190207_195755.jpg    37.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20190201_201428.jpg    67.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Brad,
I'm not positive, but I suspect the reason the hinge brackets don't fit tightly to the crossmember is that the curve of the crossmember is different on the later frame.
All the best,
Paul

tr0078 Bradley Vermont
Thanks Paul,

I considered this possibility, but the cross member part number does not seem to change throughout the GT6 or Spitfire models. If the shape changes, I would have expected a new part number would be necessary?

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else knows better though

Brad

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Brad,
How early is your Spitfire chassis? Although the vendors are listing the same crossmember for all Spitfires and GT6s, there were changes during production. The one now available is the last one produced and may not be a good match for the earlier ones.
All the best,
Paul

tr0078 Bradley Vermont
Thanks Paul,

The chassis plate starts with FC07... so I suspect it is a mk1, probably early even for mk1s.

I'll go over the dimensions again, but I unless anyone is aware of this being a problem for the lower valance or grill fit later on I would prefer to modify the hinge brackets than attempt to replace an otherwise rust free cross member. If the later shape can work as a replacement backwards, it follows that the difference can't be that great?

I think this just underlines the need for a dimension, perhaps from the rack or engine mount holes as I don't imagine these changed during production.

Brad

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster