Leaf spring interchange

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pedelpusher10 Jim Frey
North Carolina, USA   USA
According to one blog with leaf spring specs series 4 and spitfire has same spring but earlier have same length but different thickness . Any advantage to switching or mixing these different ones

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
438C1E16-BECD-407F-A910-A53CC54ABAF3.jpg    31.5 KB
438C1E16-BECD-407F-A910-A53CC54ABAF3.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I am sorry the pic you posted is to fuzzy to read. I am also not too sure if you are talking about the Spitfire 4
or the Spitfire mk IV.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Manana thanked Tonyfixit for this post
Pedelpusher10 Jim Frey
You could got to site at the top so you can see the post

Yes No Thank
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I know the chart you are showing but not fully sure what your question is. Are you asking is it possible to switch springs from one car to the other, based on the different designs? Or, are you talking about mixing leaves of different springs?
Yes, you can switch spring from car to car but you need to use a spring that is matched to the weight of the car. Technically, any of the springs will fit onto any of the cars, the difference is how good or bad of job it does in the car.
Do you have an example of what you are thinking about doing?
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

Yes No Thank
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Is this going to be a track build?

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Jim,
The springs for Mk1-3 Spitfires differ from the MkIV and 1500 spring. The later spring is a swing spring. The earlier ones are not. So swapping an early spring into a later car doesn't work very well. The only leaves that may swap are the bottom ones. I don't think there would be a lot to gain by doing that.
GT6s split three ways, Mk1 has a spring similar to the early Spitfires, but stiffer. GT6+/ MK2 once again has the early style spring as does the MK3 with Rotoflex. The last MK3 GT6s have their own swing spring. Some vendors sell the late GT6 MK3 spring as an "upgrade" for the Spitfire. It doesn't work out that way. It raises the car requiring a lowering block to bring the car back to an acceptable ride height.
All the best,
Paul

+1 Yes No Thank
Harlen19 Avatar
Harlen19 Gold Member John Moore
Chocowinity, NC, USA   USA
Jim,
Welcome to the club! Where in NC are you located? I am in Chocowinity (land of many fishes) and have the only Spitfire in the county (I think) I have actually taken a trophy at a local car show since I was the only entry in the foreign car class! lonely out here.
Harlen19
75 Spitfire
72 GT6

Yes No Thank
Pedelpusher10 Jim Frey
Rocky mount ; have 2 -1978 spitfires ,1 complete original with overdrive and hardtop with luggage rack, The other I’m modifying a little to be a driver , I’ve seen 1 in Smithfield but that’s it . I’m going to try the original engine with an od trans for now for fuel economy but intend on a Vw 1.9 swap to make a diesel spitfire.

Yes No Thank
Pedelpusher10 Jim Frey
Yep to inter mix springs to get more roll stiffness but keep ride soft . With spring thickness different from a 7 spring pack and a 5 spring pack , was wondering about mixing them into 1 .Also I’ve seen air shocks which seems like a good idea , but then could or would it help to remove springs since the shocks hold the weight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 09:40 AM by Pedelpusher10.

Yes No Thank
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
FWIW: I've replaced springs on a Spit 24 months after it left the factory (back in 1981)..... due to driver lean..... My latest Spit had the same issue.... and my "long term solution" was the corvette air shocks - that allow me infinite leveling possibilities... without having to change leaf springs every couple of years. Best decision I ever made.....(Thanks Carter)….. Ride is sweet - ride is adjustable - and it cost me less than $100. Only other thing I did was a lowering block on the rear - as I added 330# springs to the front end....

Z

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1601159 by Pedelpusher10 Yep to inter mix springs to get more roll stiffness but keep ride soft . With spring thickness different from a 7 spring pack and a 5 spring pack , was wondering about mixing them into 1 .Also I’ve seen air shocks which seems like a good idea , but then could or would it help to remove springs since the shocks hold the weight

The idea of the Air shocks is to assist the spring, not carry a large share of the cars weight.
The reason is, Air shocks negate the swing spring effect and could encourage jacking.

My rear spring (original) was giving a bit too much neg camber for daily driving, but was great for slaloms etc.
The Air shocks allow for reasonable camber when daily driving or when touring fully loaded.

In my case I do not seperate left and right, but that is an option if needed.
They are actully darn good shocks, just as shocks :-)

+1 Yes No Thank
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1601612 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1601159 by Pedelpusher10 Yep to inter mix springs to get more roll stiffness but keep ride soft . With spring thickness different from a 7 spring pack and a 5 spring pack , was wondering about mixing them into 1 .Also I’ve seen air shocks which seems like a good idea , but then could or would it help to remove springs since the shocks hold the weight

The idea of the Air shocks is to assist the spring, not carry a large share of the cars weight.
The reason is, Air shocks negate the swing spring effect and could encourage jacking.

My rear spring (original) was giving a bit too much neg camber for daily driving, but was great for slaloms etc.
The Air shocks allow for reasonable camber when daily driving or when touring fully loaded.

In my case I do not seperate left and right, but that is an option if needed.
They are actully darn good shocks, just as shocks :-)

Can't disagree! I lower air pressure in my air shocks when I'm playing autoX.. increasing neg camber for the turns..... regular road work - where I worry not about jacking - I pump the shocks up to wherever I need them - depending on load... (both sides are adjustable on mine)… and enjoy a level, smooth, easy ride from there....

Z

+1 Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster