Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mandmind Avatar
mandmind Silver Member MICHAEL DAVIS
COCOA, FL, USA   USA
Is there a washer between the vertical link center shaft and the tie rod lever, the Haynes book I have shows the nut, washer, tie rod lever, washer and vertical link in the exploded view. The parts books show nut, washer, tie rod lever and vertical link.... which is needed, I don't trust it was put together right previously..
thanks

Happy to be clueless
I'll try anything
Mikey

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
The washer takes the bind off the arm coming across the vertical link. Makes it set flat.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is a photo I put together some time ago. It shows the setup as in many parts books and repair manuals. I don't think this has changed over the life of the car.
This question got me curious so I went searching and looking/. I checked Mk3, MkIV and 1500 repair and parts manuals and all of them show a washer in that space between the steering arm and the upright. However, none of my cars have one there and if there was one there it would be necessary to also have a matching one added to the secondary bolt position where the dust shield mounts. (I notice there are very few books that show the dust shields in place. They are left out of most parts diagrams. ) From what I can find there is no washer needed or wanted between the steering arm and the main upright where the stub axle goes through. I have removed the original photo and replaced it with two photos I shot within the last half hour of my cars.
da

Is there a difference between US and UK/Euro spec cars? da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 02:32 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190209_115047.jpg    41.6 KB
20190209_115047.jpg

20190209_115127.jpg    23.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mandmind Avatar
mandmind Silver Member MICHAEL DAVIS
COCOA, FL, USA   USA
thanks all… I didn't think there was one when I took it apart but who knows... Fits better without one anyway...

Happy to be clueless
I'll try anything
Mikey

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1595442 by mandmind thanks all… I didn't think there was one when I took it apart but who knows... Fits better without one anyway...

Yes, it will not fit right with it in there.
This is one of several errors that occur throughout the many years of parts and repair manuals for the Spitfires that were never corrected. The most discussed is the upside down water valve for the heater.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links