Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Is It Legal to Change from Rubber to Chrome Bumpers?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
CHarles,

IMHO is your car do what you want. Chrome may look better and resale value is not a concern to you. As stated above keeping stuff to put back on or sell with car is usually advised in these forums.

The only two concerns are:
Laws very from state to state, best to ask someone from your own state, preferably someone who is qualified to comment . In CT we have to have bumpers, but it does not specify that they be "stock"

What your insurance company would say. They look for any reason not to cover a claim and or subrogate.

You could probably ask three different police officers, lawyers, and or DMV inspectors and get three different answers.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
silverlight7 Charles Morris Jr
Louisa, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594736 by sampattr250 CHarles,

IMHO is your car do what you want. Chrome may look better and resale value is not a concern to you. As stated above keeping stuff to put back on or sell with car is usually advised in these forums.

The only two concerns are:
Laws very from state to state, best to ask someone from your own state, preferably someone who is qualified to comment . In CT we have to have bumpers, but it does not specify that they be "stock"

What your insurance company would say. They look for any reason not to cover a claim and or subrogate.

You could probably ask three different police officers, lawyers, and or DMV inspectors and get three different answers.

The Virginia State Police website doesn't seem to stipulate any regulations for bumpers on antiques, so I should be fine there. I'll probably ask Hagerty Insurance what they think about the bumper swap.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

chrisrintz Avatar
chrisrintz Gold Member Christopher Rintz
Winnetka, IL, USA   USA
Never had a problem in IL...now that it is red I may attract a bit more attention though///

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2434.jpeg    43.6 KB
IMG_2434.jpeg

Spit driver Avatar
Spit driver David C
Concord vicinity, NH, USA   USA
I ran the chrome on my car when I lived in south side VA and never got questioned. As was mentioned the inspectors won’t even notice. In fact when I pulled the car in for the first inspection I had done, the mech asked me what kind of Corvette it was. I immediately made a mental note to never go to that shop for repairs

silverlight7 Charles Morris Jr
Louisa, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594797 by Spit driver I ran the chrome on my car when I lived in south side VA and never got questioned. As was mentioned the inspectors won’t even notice. In fact when I pulled the car in for the first inspection I had done, the mech asked me what kind of Corvette it was. I immediately made a mental note to never go to that shop for repairs

Funny. Everyone seems to know about old Corvettes and Beetles and whatnot, but no one remembers what a Spitfire is.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594833 by silverlight7 Funny. Everyone seems to know about old Corvettes and Beetles and whatnot, but no one remembers what a Spitfire is.

They used to offer the Spitfire as a prize in a raffle.

I don't think the public ever took the car seriously.

Add to that the dads who bought one for their kid in college and had to pay out of state mechanic's bills because the kid's major is beer bongs.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1594875 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1594833 by silverlight7 Funny. Everyone seems to know about old Corvettes and Beetles and whatnot, but no one remembers what a Spitfire is.

Add to that the dads who bought one for their kid in college and had to pay out of state mechanic's bills because the kid's major is beer bongs.

Thanks for that thought - as my daughter approaches college age as the proud owner of a classic Spit.... Sheesh!!!!!

Z

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
In reply to # 1594505 by silverlight7
Yeah, unfortunately, Virginia says you can't drive a car with antique plates to and from work (which is all right, I suppose, I do have another car I can use as a backup). You can only drive the car occasionally for pleasure, not daily, and not more than 250 miles from home.

Not such bad restrictions, although one of my friends who had antique plates said he switched back to regular plates because cops kept pulling him over asking where he was going, etc.

On the other hand, I see some other guy's car with antique plates where I work every day. Guess he just knows how to avoid the cops. smiling smiley

The antique plates may still be worth it just to avoid another darn inspection every year.

How infuriating. GA had antique plates with no limitations but decided to charge an additional $50 per plate. I think they figured X number of antique plate = X x $50 for the State. What happened is everyone turned in their antique plates for normal plates. Morons.
I had antique plates on all my cars and motorcycles. Guess how many I have now? LOL.

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595133 by TheZster
In reply to # 1594875 by Doug in Vegas

Thanks for that thought - as my daughter approaches college age as the proud owner of a classic Spit.... Sheesh!!!!!

Z

These days the mechanic can come here for any questions.

65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha!
I bought one with my paper route money. Took me and Dad two years to get it on the road, THEN I drove it to college. At least I learned enough to get it home every time it needed to be fixed. Except that one time I fixed it in the parking lot at college. Lots of blood involved there, but it was back on the road! No beer bongs were harmedgrinning smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster