AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Timing light?

If programmable zero it out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594748 by holymolyitsclay Guys, I have some great news. I replaced the condenser, re-ground the breaker plate wire really well, and added a new rubber gasket where the points attach so they don’t ground out. The car is firing on every cylinder!!!!! But... still not starting. I am getting an occasional misfire when I try to crank it over, maybe once every 3-4 seconds. I have sprayed starter fluid in the carbs for 2 seconds before trying to start it. Any idea why this would be occurring when trying to start the car?

You added a rubber gasket ?
It's firing on all cylinders but its not running ?
You get a misfire on a non running motor ?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
So you now have a spark!

Check the ignition timing (aim for 10 degrees before TDC)

Clean the wet spark plugs.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Hey guys,

I got the car running last night!

Lizard, yes, I did add a rubber gasket to the underside of the bolt where the points and condenser wire connect. The points were grounding themselves on the dizzy because the non-metallic washer used from the factory was corroded enough to allow the point arm to be contacting metal. I took an old rubber gasket I had, cut a circle big enough to accommodate that space, put a hole in the center and put it on the screw. It's a little janky, and will be addressed later, but for now it works great.

There were a multitude of issues. The first, and most obvious, was the fact that my spark plug wires were out of order. I was setting my timing and realized that the diagram I found online showing the distributor order was in a different position from mine, even though it appeared to be the same. Set cylinder 1 to TDC and set spark plug wires in order, set the points at TDC, put some starter fluid in, and she started right up!

There is definitely a fuel issue. I'm thinking I didn't get all the old gas out (maybe 1/2 a gallon left), so I'm going to try to dilute it with new gas and hope for the best. There's a sizeable hole in the fuel line going to the carb, and once this is addressed I think the fuel pump will have enough vacuum to pump the gas to the carbs, keeping the car running for longer than 10 seconds.

One question I do have: How do I set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC? I found TDC by taking the valve cover off and rotating the engine, and confirmed this by making sure the timing mark lined up with the largest tooth on the lower front side of the engine. Do the corresponding teeth on either side of TDC represent a certain amount of degrees? I adjusted the timing to 3 teeth BTDC and it runs better, but how do I ensure it's 10 degrees?

Thank you guys again for your help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 07:56 AM by holymolyitsclay.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Clay,

Excellent job.

Fuel leaks are common and it's not terribly hard to replace the entire fuel system if you have to. I had to after my car sat for over 10 years. Fuel leaks are dangerous. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your car. Its old

For now just fix what you have to and make a list of things that you will need to do in future. Triumphs are always a work in progress.

As for timing is very simple once you know how to do it.

Do you have a timing light. Easily purchased or borrowed from FLAPS aka nappa advanced etc.

Here is a link to the thread about timing. https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1281642

Also once you have the timing. Valve clearance is also important to a proper running engine and also easy to do with a set of feeler gauges a screwdriver and a wrench.

You have made a great start and your grandfather will be pleased.

Unfortunately you will begin the voyage down the slippery slope of While I have this off I mine as well do .......drinking smiley

I'm 10 years older than you and have only been working on triumphs for two years, listen to the real pros on this site they really do know what there talking about and have been doing it since there cars were new.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Sam, thanks for the information! Exactly what I needed to get the timing sorted out. I am going to try to use the info you gave this weekend to get her running nicely!

I fixed the fuel issue last night and she runs and drives now! There was no fuel getting to the carbs so I used a bicycle pump to blow through all the lines to determine where the fuel was getting stopped. Couldn't believe the amount of gunk coming out of the lines, it just kept coming and coming. I took the gas tank off to get to the hard line that feeds fuel from the tank to the rest of the lines, and that hard line was full of gunk from top to bottom. Pushed all that out, buttoned everything back together and she started right up after a few cranks.

Just need to adjust the timing a bit now!

rammy Avatar
rammy Mark W
Ashland City, TN, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jasmine"
I wouldn't mind seeing the car, care to post a couple pictures ??

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Excellent work!

Tanks are on sale at bp north west if your fuel problem exists. https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/spitfire/fuel-system/fuel-tank-spitfire-71-to-80.html. After cleaning fuel system on side of rd 4 times i finally broke down... and replaced tank, pump and lines

Best thing is get her running and driving clean it out with seafoam and some back country roads. I alternate between a splash of seafoam and marvel mystery oil in my tank.

Also fuel filters are cheap (approx $5.50) at napa I have one at tank and one before carb. 3032 metal or 3002 plastic

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Here are a few photos of the car as requested! Would love to get a color-matched hardtop for it sometime down the road.

Attachments:
IMG_5209.JPG    85.7 KB
IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5230.JPG    85.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_9928.JPG    89.3 KB
IMG_5250.JPG    71.1 KB
65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Good job on getting it running. I'm sure it'll make Grandpa happy to see it on the road.

Great looking car too! To me, that is about the nicest color combination for a Spitfire.

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
That is a very nice looking Spit.

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
BTW, each tooth on the timing pointer should be 4 degrees on your engine, so with 3 teeth you are close. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you can get a timing light on it again.

Also, an original 1975 engine would have had a vacuum retard unit on the distributer. With the engine running at idle, the vacuum retard unit will 'retard' the timing to 2 degrees AFTER TDC (ATDC), if it's hooked up properly. That timing should go back to 10 degrees BTDC when the throttle is opened a little (about 1100 RPM or so). It should also be set to 10 degrees BTDC with the vacuum line to the retard unit disconnected and plugged. If you put a timing light on it and don't see that jump in timing, then the 'retard' unit may not be connected. Not a big deal. It was only used to pass the EPA emission tests at idle, in 1975.

rammy Avatar
rammy Mark W
Ashland City, TN, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jasmine"
nice looking spit you have there!!!

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
The top photo is missing the Moss Catalogue

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594829 by holymolyitsclay There is definitely a fuel issue. I'm thinking I didn't get all the old gas out (maybe 1/2 a gallon left), so I'm going to try to dilute it with new gas and hope for the best.

Old school is to add STP to the fuel.

I had a car once that had sat so long the gas had turned to varnish. I had to soak everything in carb cleaner.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster