AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1595068 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1594829 by holymolyitsclay There is definitely a fuel issue. I'm thinking I didn't get all the old gas out (maybe 1/2 a gallon left), so I'm going to try to dilute it with new gas and hope for the best.

Old school is to add STP to the fuel.

What! That thick oil Goop?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Tony,

They also made a carb cleaner and a whole host of other products. Made famous by "The King" Richard Petty since 1972 cool smiley

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/345018021422889236/

http://www.stp.com/racing/richard-petty

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:21 AM by sampattr250.

Mgro1959 Rob M
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Take coil wire crank and put to #1 plug. Get a spark and fires cylinder coil good. Take meter and check continuity from dist cap to lead at plug. If all show continuity then the leads good.
My experience two things have surviced. Faulty rotors and condensers. Black repro rotors have shown to be faulty. I had perfect rotor where spark went into distributor shaft instead of going to end and jump to the dist terminal. Brown Echlin rotors are good. British parts NW no affiliation are good. Condensers were also problematic. 2 bad in a row on TR6. Would show spark but one would die immediately and second would run two minutes then fail. Get new points and condenser from different source from original source. Good luck. Thabks Rob.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595086 by sampattr250 Tony,

They also made a carb cleaner and a whole host of other products. Made famous by "The King" Richard Petty since 1972

They had stuff like gumout.

I suppose fuel injector cleaner is close.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Some people call that diesel.

In reply to # 1595476 by Doug in Vegas

I suppose fuel injector cleaner is close.

'S all for now
Vic

holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Took her for her first long drive on Friday, went to get gas afterwards and filled her up. Pulled into my garage about a mile after going to the gas station and noticed a very heavy smell of gasoline. I pop the trunk to gasoline literally water falling out of the sending unit on the tank. There was probably about a gallon and a half to 2 gallons of fuel sitting in my trunk! Spent the next hour or so siphoning gas out and trying to clean the trunk. Someone earlier on in the thread said Triumphs are constantly a work in progress… I am quickly finding that to be true! All part of the fun though.

Does anybody have any recommendations on getting that to stop leaking? I hammered it in counterclockwise and that got it to stop water falling out but it is still leaking a bit. Maybe some gasket sealer designed for fuel or perhaps replacing the entire unit altogether? It’s “fixed” for now by only filling the tank to the halfway point which reduces the leak to a smaller non-constant flow.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595511 by carChips
In reply to # 1595476 by Doug in Vegas I suppose fuel injector cleaner is close.
Some people call that diesel.
In WWII they used diesel for engine flush. I used mineral spirits once. Dissolved the tar like deposits in the oil gallery.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
It’s probably an old gasket under the sending unit.

Both the unit and gasket are $30 or less from any of the usual LBC part suppliers.

http://spitbits.com/1500/1500fuelbits.htm

I too have had this happen. As well as a weld/ rivet crack on sending unit. Moss was great about warranty. I eventually had the first one back welded by a friend with a tig and keep it as a spare.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 10:47 AM by sampattr250.

Mgro1959 Rob M
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
There is a seal under the unit. Order a new one. Get catalogues for The roadster factory (mostly triumph and a tech support line), Victoria British, and Moss. Then at night read and drool. The list is endless for the wish list. The catalogues are good references as they breakdown the systems. The best is the factory parts books. British parts NW is also an excellent source for more common items. Other good places but these are the main ones in Canada,US. Thanks Rob.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1595525 by holymolyitsclay Took her for her first long drive on Friday, went to get gas afterwards and filled her up. Pulled into my garage about a mile after going to the gas station and noticed a very heavy smell of gasoline. I pop the trunk to gasoline literally water falling out of the sending unit on the tank. There was probably about a gallon and a half to 2 gallons of fuel sitting in my trunk! Spent the next hour or so siphoning gas out and trying to clean the trunk. Someone earlier on in the thread said Triumphs are constantly a work in progress… I am quickly finding that to be true! All part of the fun though.

Does anybody have any recommendations on getting that to stop leaking? I hammered it in counterclockwise and that got it to stop water falling out but it is still leaking a bit. Maybe some gasket sealer designed for fuel or perhaps replacing the entire unit altogether? It’s “fixed” for now by only filling the tank to the halfway point which reduces the leak to a smaller non-constant flow.

You just need a new seal for the sender unit https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ARA1502

or, at a pinch, add a ring of suitable gasket material behind the sender unit plate so more pressure can be applied to the old ring when the locking ring is tightend.

There are gas resistant sealers available, but don't get carried away. You don't want to end up with a blob of sealant getting in your fuel line.

holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well! I believe for now I have the fuel issue sorted. I went on eBay and found a new gasket and sealer ring for the sending unit and have that all buttoned up. I was able to drive the car when I first got it started up after sorting the spark issue but it is now running really rough. I parked the car for the night and came back to her in the morning. Now, when I started it up, it runs but pretty rough for about 1 to 3 minutes before it starts bogging down and eventually dying. Won’t start back up without wide open throttle and a few seconds of cranking. While it is dying, the car shakes enough to rattle loose some things that are in the passenger seat.

I checked the spark plugs and they are completely fouled... all smell like fuel and are black. I did a compression test and found that cylinder one was on 150 psi, cylinder two was on 130, cylinder 3 is 175, cylinder 4 is 150. Obviously not good at all.

Also noticed there is quite a bit of (what is believe is) grey smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, and a little coming from around the engine itself.

I know there are people on this forum with a lot more experience than I have... If you were in my shoes, would you go for a complete engine rebuild at this point? If not, what would your first steps be to get the compression where it should be?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-17 04:03 PM by holymolyitsclay.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I would check the valve gap and not worry too much about those compression numbers.

If you suspect it's flooding try clamping the fuel line shut and see if there's a period as it runs out where it runs great before it dies.

holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Thank you for the reply. I adjusted all the valves - some were a little bit off but most were in line. All are to spec now (.010) but it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference in the performance of the engine. I was cut short tonight when the wire from the starter solenoid to the coil got torn out of the connection going into the coil, so now the car isn’t starting at all. Alas, any suggestions you all have for me will have to wait until tomorrow!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-17 09:35 PM by holymolyitsclay.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster