Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

If you don't want a loud sports exhuast, what is a good kit ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I and the wife have been checking out youtube clips of " Triumph GT6 exhaust sound " to see what she likes. Bottom line, she wants it to purr, not be loud and raspy. Unfortunately, few of the videos say what exhaust system they have installed. We're sticking with the stock manifold. We live in a pretty dry climate, so I don't think stainless steel is necessary. Since the car is still just a rolling chassis with the drive train bolted on, I can't just drive it to my local muffler/exhaust shop.

If you suggest one, it would be great if you knew of a video clip that sounded like the suggestion.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Midas.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Midas doesn't deliver and the car doesn't drive.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I looked through the Walker muffler catalogue and found a OE type muffler that just fits between the rear cross member and the rear valance. The off set of the mufflers inlet pipe helped also.

Some say the sound is too quite, but that's fine with me. If I do get my foot into it the sound is quite a pleasant tone (not whimpy)

Sorry I can't remember the application or part # it was just the shortest oval muffler that was listed.

The tail pipe was just some bent pipe.

You could of course use the stock OE muffler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 03:48 PM by Tonyfixit.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Since I have a GT6+, I don't have any rear cross members, that stick out from the chassis , behind the diff, like Spitfires do. That might give me more room, I think.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
A stock non-stainless muffler is as quiet as the original car came. It's not bad at all I think. I've had my car since new, it was a fairly quiet cruiser. In my mid forties I went to the Monza and thought it was "cool" to be loud but that soon wore thin on my ears and my wife wasn't impressed. Now I've gone back to a stock muffler.

BT

Attachments:
P5210624.JPG    57.3 KB
P5210624.JPG

JohnW63 John Williamson
off topic...

Nice to see YOUR car has positive camber at all 4 corners too. Some of the rubber bushes were really tight and I've wondered just how much weight and driving it will take to sit properly.

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595741 by JohnW63 off topic...

Nice to see YOUR car has positive camber at all 4 corners too. Some of the rubber bushes were really tight and I've wondered just how much weight and driving it will take to sit properly.

John
Spend the extra bucks and go Stainless Steel and go STOCK. When it's all said and done you will save money in the long run.

Don't forget to install a LAMBDA BUNG on the down pipe for future tuning with a WIDE BAND AFR METER. Clock the bung so that the sensor doesn't interfere with anything. This takes all the guess work out of tuning. I do this to all my cars. You can buy a AFR METER for about $150. I usually just temporarily rig them up strictly for tuning then remove them along with the sensor then put a plug in the threaded bung.

And ALL GT6 will have positive camber with no body attached, if it didn't I'd be worried.

GH

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
As Gary highlighted, it will be positive without the body. I can stand on the rear and it starts to come down but not by much, but the car body is much heavier than my body I hope. It will settle down if I ever get this GT back together.

Stock Stainless steel would be ideal but considerably more expensive plus you are in a relatively dry climate.

Just for example, my TR250 has a stock steel muffler but my car rarely sees rain. We get plenty of it but it's a fair weather car only. This muffler is now 24 years on this car and still very nice. I'm approaching 70 and it will probably out last me.

The muffler I show in my picture is a NOS. I found a source that had some still on hand. They may still have a few. I'll check and see if they still have more available. You may have noticed it is a 71-73 muffler. Same muffler just has different tips than the 69 and 70. Could cut them off if you needed to. The price was right for me. It's made by Burgess in England.

BT

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
I agree with the stock but stainless recommendation. Stainless is slightly louder than mild steel so the stock exhaust will have a little more growl to it, but stainless in addition to not rusting, will be easier to separate if you need to remove it and it looks 100% better all the time. It is worth the extra in my opinion, the mild steel will perhaps last longer in a dry climate, but it will still not look very good and will rust.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Spitbits has the MK2 GT6+ in SS steel for $499. Plus shipping. That's a big OUCH to me. You can buy 3 of the stock non-ss for that price. Decisions-Decisions. Just options for John to think about. Stainless is the best if the wallet can take it.

BT

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
Well that is too much, you can get it from Rimmers for $290, looks great too!

GT6 MK2 stainless exhaust

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's nice!!! Wonder what the shipping from UK to CA. USA will be. And IF that is for the complete system that's a good deal. Spitbits at $499 was just the muffler.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Canley lists them for $205.00 but currently out of stock. Just the muffler. Plus shipping of course.

We sure do like spending Johns money--grinning smiley

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
If you catch Rimmer during one of their sales you can typically get the complete SS stock exhaust for around $230. I just had a TR250 exhaust sent to me by Rimmer and it was $50 which came by UPS and arrived 4 days later.

These exhaust systems are made by Bell in the Uk. They fit very good. Fairly certain the ones Spitbits sells are Bell also.

Don't forget the Lambda bung, you can get them at almost any muffler shop for about $8-10.

GH

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links