Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

If you don't want a loud sports exhuast, what is a good kit ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Quote: tuning with a WIDE BAND AFR METER.

And what , pray tell, is that for ? ( I'm off to Google. ) Considering the meter, you use to tune, is $150, I hope I need it more than once !

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
I see what it is. It's an O2 sensor and meter to read the output. I found a site that will sell them with or without a sensor ( assuming you already HAVE one on your car ) and with or without a digital display. I think it just has an indicator that travels around the dial, like a needle would, if you chose to not have big numbers in the middle as well. Much cheaper without the numbers.

https://www.truckid.com/apsx-wideband/apsx-wideband-d2-digital-afr-gauge-1242252398.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgpGAiLW04AIV1x-tBh3EeQpWEAkYDCABEgLCXvD_BwE

Can someone see any reason why the lesser cost one wouldn't be pretty effective ?

I found the manufacturer's page, where the sensor with LED display is $125.

https://www.wide-band.com/product-p/apsx_d2n.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 01:44 PM by JohnW63.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
i got the setup for my TR250 from British Stainless Exhaust. It was less than Moss even with the sale. Bell is supposed to be a quality brand.

http://www.british-stainless-exhaust.com/category/Triumph.html

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
The GT6 version, from the above link is $422.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I got my stainless GT6 exhaust in 2008 or 2009 from Rimmers and had it shipped to Washington. It’s been a couple years, but the kit fit pretty well (my car was missing several brackets and I lost the diff one and used a different one to mount...). I still paid around $500 for it. The Bell system is loud, but not horrible. On the other hand, drive it like you stole it and people will see you. These cars are very easy to not see and back over. Kyle.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, If you haven't noticed there is also a intermediate muffler in the original system.
I'm not able to use the rear section of the one that came off the GT6 I got, not rusty out side but a bunch of crap came out when I took it apart.
Looks like it was replaced before they covered it up with a tarp.
See what you find in your area, not cheap to mail it and used may not be something for you and the way you are doing the car.
Oh, I would have to think about it on price as I have just thought about selling it.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

JohnW63 John Williamson
Wayne,

I see SpitBits offers one with and one without the intermediate silencer. If his stock SS muffler wasn't so EXPENSIVE, I might consider him as a source. I guess I could get the rest from him, and save shipping. Sometimes, shipping from Rimmer is not that much more. Don't know how that works out.

What is the difference ? Did the Mark I not have it and the Mark II did ?

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, my engine is a MKl with the small manifold flange. It breaks at the back of the transmission, so I can't say for sure this is the way it should be. My son's 69 had the one in the middle,
Not sure what I will end up with, I've change direction a few times on this one. LOL
Glad to se you are getting lots of help, sure makes it go faster.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

JohnW63 John Williamson
Of course, the follow-up question is....does the second silencer sap even more HP ?

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596028 by JohnW63 Of course, the follow-up question is....does the second silencer sap even more HP ?

John
Rimmer Brothers RG1145 SS $290. Wait a bit and I'll bet they'll have a sale where you can save 15%.

Do not use the intermediate pipe with silencer, they hog a ton of room down the center of the car and suck power. Use the single muffler at the rear.

Just had a TR250 complete S.S. exhaust shipped to me and it was $50 came by UPS.

GH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 08:19 PM by F1000RACER.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, if that is a concern, you need a better than the stock system. That properly doesn't equate to quite.
Not sure mine would have any restriction, as much junk that fell out of it, It was a little loud but the rings were stuck and broken, we fogged the whole area.
A 2 1/2 inch pipe might be the best you can do through the frame, I had to bend the flange of the frame down to clear the middle silencer. Understand my frame is a 78 Spitfire.
If you are lucky you will get it like you want the first time, most don't.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

JohnW63 John Williamson
Quote: Use the single muffler at the rear.

What;s that setup sound like ? Teenager's first car cool, or I can still take this for a long drive and talk to the passenger cool ?

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596057 by JohnW63
Quote: Use the single muffler at the rear.

What;s that setup sound like ? Teenager's first car cool, or I can still take this for a long drive and talk to the passenger cool ?

Long drive and still be able to carry on a conversation. The TR250 and TR6 don't have an intermediate pipe muffler at the rear very close to size as the GT6, they're not loud by any stretch.

GH

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
If you're on a budget and just want to get a starting point, post in the "Buy, Sell & Trade" forum and maybe a Facebook group for a used system. You should be able to find something by the time you're ready to fit the body on the chassis for minimal cost as folks are often swapping out for something. Then if that's too quiet yo can look into other options - but at least you'll have a base.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596031 by F1000RACER Use the single muffler at the rear.

This is what I did. A single welded pipe all the way back to a discount muffler.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster