Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

My72Spit Avatar
My72Spit Keith Williams
Irondale, OH, USA   USA
When i bought my 1972 Mk.4, I found that one of the POs had installed an air horn (and it is LOUD!) as well as installing the horn botton on the lower right part of the speedometer/ tachometer section of the dash. The center of the steering wheel (see pic) is an after market piece. So.....2 question: #1 - what was originally in the center of the steering wheel? #2 - where was the horn actuator originally located? Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190206_120521.jpg    51.2 KB
20190206_120521.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
The horn button was in the middle of the steering wheel.

I could be that the steering wheel adaptor used with your aftermarket wheel would not allow for a contact plunger or horn button.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is what an original 72 looks like. I have a lot of photos of that section of the wheel and column if needed.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
72 Spitfire horn push50a.jpg    44.9 KB
72 Spitfire horn push50a.jpg

My72Spit Avatar
My72Spit Keith Williams
Irondale, OH, USA   USA
Thank you both. I'll see if I can find the right wheel for it.

Keith

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Could be you just need a horn button that is suitable for your wheel.

Is there a manufactuers name anywhere?

Attachments:
B45__00112.1435846328.1280.1280.jpg.jpeg    34 KB
B45__00112.1435846328.1280.1280.jpg.jpeg

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
The original circuit for the horn is, to my mind, a bit weird. No doubt you can find it on the circuit diagram, but the horns have a permanent live feed, earthed via the contact under the horn button. The earth is via the steering column, so that there must be a flexible cable around the rubber UJ in the middle of the column, and one on the steering rack if that is still mounted on rubber bushes. Plus many find that the horn ring contacts the fairing around the steering wheel boss, and earths, causing the horn to sound on turns! All problems you will have t solve, and maybe why your DPO may have gone for dash-mounted button in desperation!

John

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Agree, I had a Herald that would sound it's horn on right turns.
Not what you want when you are on a roundabout behind a police car!

My72Spit Avatar
My72Spit Keith Williams
Irondale, OH, USA   USA
Thanks guys. Im going to try and find a Triumph center for the wheel I have. I kinda like it. As I mentioned earlier this car has a loud air horn. I'm positive it's not stock but again, it's cool. I don't plan on spending a lot of time getting the horn to operate from the steering wheel, at least not now, so I have no problem adding a nice little actuator for now. Too many other things to do. I'll have a horn. Thats all that matters.
Keith

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Keith, you may need a longer one of these?

https://rimmerbros.com/ItemSearch--search-Horn-Brush--srcin-1

'S all for now
Vic

rich wino Richard Ruggiero
wallingford, CT, USA   USA
Keith I like the wood with the rivets that is a great looking wheel. I have a 79 spit and it has a stock wheel that is thick and rubbery and have never liked it. My horn switch is part of the turn signal. Good luck getting your horn to work.

Spiffy Avatar
Spiffy James P
Kirkwood, MO, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Little E"
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spiffy"
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Brit AKA El Diablo Rojo"
1985 Honda MC CB450SC "Blue Angel"    & more
Keith,
That looks like a Grant steering wheel. I used one when I built a Porsche 550 replica and it did have provision for the center cover to operate the horn by pushing it.
See
http://www.grantproducts.com/products/browse/steering-wheels/automotive/

My72Spit Avatar
My72Spit Keith Williams
Irondale, OH, USA   USA
That's it! Great! I do like that wheel. I found a Triumph center horn kit that I can install in the middle I think. The other day I i took apart the top of the steering column down to the turn signal/headlight control switches. Another problem I am addressing is my turn signal lever. Its very close to the steering wheel. It's almost touching it. Every time I turn the wheel I hit the turn signal. Rather aggravating. Anyway thanks for showing me where it came from. $178 for that wheel, I'm keeping it.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This photo shows the distance between the wheel and switches on the original setup. Perhaps some of the hub sections are not used with the wheel on there now. I think the standard measurement was two and a half fingers between the wheel and the levers.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

Attachments:
004.jpg    38.1 KB
004.jpg

My72Spit Avatar
My72Spit Keith Williams
Irondale, OH, USA   USA
Very helpful Dan, thanks! I took off the lever and put it in a vise up to bend and bent the long end parallel to the end going into the switch. Now instead of one bend its a Z shaped lever. I filed off the burrs caused by vise and channel locks and repainted it. Looks great and problem solved. I'll post a picture when it's reassembled. As I held it in place with the wheel I now have a 2" gap which is much better than it was.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster