Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LucyThor12 Lucy Thorman
Newquay, Cornwall, UK   GBR
Hello everyone,

My key won't go into the ignition. Doesn't look like anything in the way and key is in good condition. No problems driving the car that same morning.

I was wondering if I can just change the ignition cylinder + key without changing the whole lock system?

Any advise or links to correct parts would be appreciated.

Thank you

- Lucy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
51785961_404691446970971_4389991544753487872_n.jpg    24.8 KB
51785961_404691446970971_4389991544753487872_n.jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Stick the tip of your key in there and jiggle back and forth to see if there is any movement.

'S all for now
Vic

LucyThor12 Lucy Thorman
Newquay, Cornwall, UK   GBR
I have done lots of jiggling ... still nothing sad smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Try turning the wheel while doing it.drinking smiley

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Try taking a paper clip and straighten it out and then use it as a rake to see if the tumblers are moving freely. You also might make sure the key slot is not rotated slightly as that will also not let insert the key. If the lock is dry ( no lubercant in it use just a little dry grafite to lub the key slot ) as this might free it up.
Hope this helps.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Notti Avatar
Notti Eric N
San Dimas, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595283 by LucyThor12 I have done lots of jiggling ... still nothing sad smiley
The key Lucy, not you, the key.

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 01:27 PM by Notti.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1595280 by LucyThor12 Hello everyone,

My key won't go into the ignition. Doesn't look like anything in the way and key is in good condition. No problems driving the car that same morning.

I was wondering if I can just change the ignition cylinder + key without changing the whole lock system?

Any advise or links to correct parts would be appreciated.

Thank you

- Lucy
Lucy,
I hope you have had some luck with this.
I'm afraid you will have to change the entire lock system if you can't get the key to enter the lock and turn. Removing the cylinder will require the cylinder to be turned to an unlocked position. Removing the upper steering column from the car makes the work easier.
Good luck,
Paul

moonweasel Avatar
Wellington, New Zealand   NZL
Im not familiar with later ignitions (my MK3's are in the dash), but is that the normal position for the ignition, to allow the key to go in?

If it is worn, it could be worn enough to let the key be pulled out but not go back in while the ignition in the wrong place, you may be able to GENTLY turn it back with the tip of the key, or flat blade screwdriver. Don't force anything. *edit* somehowmissed a bit reading, with the paperclip, ( or preferably a something that is not soft enough to be bent that easily) wiggle that around while trying to turn the ignition back . But again don't force anything, you dont want what ever you use to break off in there and make it worse

If it is in the normal position, as suggested above you could try raking it to try and loosen any stuck wafers. But for the love of your locks, don't put graphite in there, this is a much better option. https://www.jaycar.co.uk/inox-mx3-lubricant-corrosion-inhibitor-pump/p/NA1022, an aerosol version would be better if available, as the nozzle can be inserted in the ignition, and when sprayed could dislodge any unseen debris, just have a rag handy.

Any chance of a pic straight down the keyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 06:05 PM by moonweasel.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I would give it a shot of WD40.

Yes, I know graphite is recommended but considering the teeny brass springs need to freely slide both inner and outer tumblers and they've been sitting.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster