Fun article about affordable fun sports cars

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MiniTriumph Ken B
Strongsville, OH, USA   USA
I came across this article about affordable sports cars. Guess which one comes out on top!
https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/windup-sports-cars-small-sizes-can-yield-big-fun/

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+2 Yes No Thank
  Spiffy, chrisrintz, and mgchef thanked MiniTriumph for this post
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
When I see them described as wind-up cars I stop reading immediately.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Yes No Thank
rvmeisen Avatar
rvmeisen Ron M
Loganville, GA, USA   USA
The 'cavernous interior' must have been a factory option mine didn't have. I'm 6' and seem to be challenged in that department. If anyone knows how to get an inch or two more I'd be grateful..

Ron

Ron M.
72 Spitfire MK IV 'Eileen'
15 BMW R1200RT
11 Jeep Overland Summit

Yes No Thank
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602254 by grubscrew When I see them described as wind-up cars I stop reading immediately.
Geez, Dave, if only you'd read a bit further...you would have discovered that, like so many articles of this kind, it seems to have been written at least in part by a millennial who majored in rumor, with a double-minor in hearsay and snark. If only the author had even glanced at one old issue of Road & Track, Sports Car Graphic or Car and Driver, they might have been able to better supply some perspective. eye rolling smiley

Still, it was nice to see the Spitfire come out more or less on top (of an extremely short list). smileys with beer

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

+1 Yes No Thank
  grubscrew thanked Herald948 for this post
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602262 by Herald948
In reply to # 1602254 by grubscrew When I see them described as wind-up cars I stop reading immediately.
Geez, Dave, if only you'd read a bit further...you would have discovered that, like so many articles of this kind, it seems to have been written at least in part by a millennial who majored in rumor, with a double-minor in hearsay and snark. If only the author had even glanced at one old issue of Road & Track, Sports Car Graphic or Car and Driver, they might have been able to better supply some perspective. eye rolling smiley

Still, it was nice to see the Spitfire come out more or less on top (of an extremely short list). smileys with beer

I agree completely. The writer doesn't know much about cars of this era. The first statement about the Spitfire was erroneous. "Introduced in late 1962 as a 1963 model". Cars made in 62 wew 62 models and cars made in 63 were 63 models because Triumph until 1967 declared the year model according to the year it was built.

Yes No Thank
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Wow... do we get possessive of our LBC's? LOL....

Anyone really expect someone who was born after our cars were built to have a clue about them? We love em… no matter what.... our fans love them.... strangers on the road love them.... and nothing written by an 'automotive expert" will ever change that....

Z

Yes No Thank
leigh0680 Leigh Sprague
Minneapolis, MN, USA   USA
Thanks for posting! Fun article - made me want to get out and drive.

Yes No Thank
79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
ron… 6' flat and you're having difficulty?

these are funny cars... i'm 6,4... and its tight getting in with the top up, but once in, i'm good to go. must be torso to leg ratio.

more funny is I originally wanted a tr6...no go for me. how triumph made a bigger car with less room I will never know. elbow room is more on a tr6... but only just.

for a millennial it was well written lol

Yes No Thank
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602284 by spitlist ...The first statement about the Spitfire was erroneous. "Introduced in late 1962 as a 1963 model". Cars made in 62 wew 62 models and cars made in 63 were 63 models because Triumph until 1967 declared the year model according to the year it was built.
Joe, I have to disagree with you on this point. That argument might be made for the Spitfire's introduction elsewhere, but the fact is that the first Spitfires to reach the United States didn't do so until January 1963, when the press introductions were held. As I recall, Mike Cook's Triumph Cars in America details the story.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yes No Thank
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602343 by Herald948
In reply to # 1602284 by spitlist ...The first statement about the Spitfire was erroneous. "Introduced in late 1962 as a 1963 model". Cars made in 62 wew 62 models and cars made in 63 were 63 models because Triumph until 1967 declared the year model according to the year it was built.
Joe, I have to disagree with you on this point. That argument might be made for the Spitfire's introduction elsewhere, but the fact is that the first Spitfires to reach the United States didn't do so until January 1963, when the press introductions were held. As I recall, Mike Cook's Triumph Cars in America details the story.

You can disagree all you want, Andy, but according to the BMIHT, the cars were dated according to when they were built, not as any particular model year.

If you think about it, until the mandate of emissions ans safety standards, Triumphs were not built to any particular year model, rather they were built to a car model specification which spanned several years. So as far as Triumph was concerned the particular year was irrelevant. It was only the Dealers who has a problem with it since it did not correspond to what was being made and sold domestically. So it was often difficult to explain to a buyer why they were selling a car as new that was called last year's model by the manufacturer. That is exactly why the STC plates came to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 11:21 PM by spitlist.

Yes No Thank
bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
The author was spot on about the way the Midget and Spitfire are different in the way they feel and handle when driving them. I enjoyed the article.

Yes No Thank
Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
I thought it was a positive article, they enjoyed the cars and their comment about a rough engine on the Spitfire was also mentioned in a earlier test I read from the 70s where they called it ‘rough his old boots’ but again, I thought it was pretty positive and enjoyable. And compared with your average modern cars when even minivans have 250 hp, a 67 hp engine sounds like ‘windup’.

A penny for your thoughts but everyone gives their 2 cents' worth...somebody is making a penny.

Joao

197? GT6 Convertible
1965 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe
1950 Dodge Meadowbrook

Yes No Thank
T-Bolt Ted Teddy Bear
Wildmansbeach, South-Carelia, Finland   FIN
In reply to # 1602331 by TheZster Anyone really expect someone who was born after our cars were built to have a clue about them?

Z

That one cracked me up pretty good.

Just relax lads, it's not that serious. Besides, they chose the right go kart for winner.

Yes No Thank
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602357 by T-Bolt Ted ... they chose the right go kart...

ARRGGGH.
Next thing somebody will say is “roller skate”...

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

+2 Yes No Thank
  Herald948 thanked grubscrew for this post
dklee12 Avatar
dklee12 Doug Klee
Toms River, NJ, USA   USA
Great article Ken.
Thanks for sharing.

Doing

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster