Fitting T 50 gear box into a spitfire chassis

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601975 by JohnW63 I have a Jeep with a hydraulic slave/throw-out bearing setup. I don't like it, because it is buried IN the bellhousing and when it leaks you have to pull the 4WD transmission out to fix it. I would think the hydo throw out could be the same thing.

Most modern slave cylinder don't fail regularly like our Spitfire ones do, and last longer than the clutch itself.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Ratranger Ian B
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
If you are going whole hog with the 4AGE and matching t50, move the front crossmember and get the crank pulley right over the steering rack. That will put the shifter in a comfortable spot, the throwout arm will clear everything, and it'll all fit under the stock bonnet.

I only say this because I have a 16v 4AGE with a t50 in a 73. I barely have the room to replace the alternator belt between the crank pulley and steering rack.

Yes No Thank
Brimin Avatar
Brimin Brian Minnaar
Jeffreys Bay, Eastern Cape, South Africa   ZAF
Are you fitting the complete Toyota enyine and gearbox? If yes then your existing question as to which operating mechanism to use remains valid. If the answer is no and you remain with the Spitfire engine and a Toyota T50 gearbox another solution unfolds. It is a tried and tested installation to fit a Soitfire engine, Spitfire bell housing, new adapter plate between bell housing and gearbox and T50 gearbox. This way the engine, bell housing and clutch mechanisms remain standard. The point to note with this arrangement is the thickness of the adapter plate, the length of the input shaft and the requirement for an extended pilot bush in the crankshaft. I cureently have on Spitfire MK3 converted in this manner.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links