Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
I've been installing all the new plastic pieces our member Brian made for the door handles plus the outer door gaskets. Thank goodness they are poly ones as many times as I had to take the door apart on the passenger side. Long story short, when using old parts just because they were the cleanest of the parts in the box, doesn't mean they work. Turned out the lock itself was bad internally, wasted a bunch of time on that.
Put in new inner and outer seals. Biggest headache was getting one of the windows on track, turns out somewhere in it's life before I got it, someone had dropped it on the channel and bent it just enough the roller part wouldn't go in, just looked like it should. Took all of that apart and window out to check, din't take long to say dumb ass.
Lining up the door with the bracket was fun, as info, I found the brackets that mount on the door are a little different over the years and I had to find the one that matched the locking mechanism. Who knew, I sure didn't.
Added just enough chrome with the vents to look good on this color car., I like it.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
CIMG0352.JPG    60.5 KB
CIMG0352.JPG

CIMG0353.JPG    56.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Are you going to put on a soft top? How's that going to fit with the quarter glass?

'S all for now
Vic

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Victor, same size window as the later Spitfire. Early ones had the rounded window at the back. That would have required some special effort on one of the early ones and that is another problem with doing those year conversions.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pastor J James Porter
Varnville, SC, USA   USA
Wayne, who is Brian that you mentioned with new door parts? I am needing some.

65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Nice looking conversion Wayne. Ain't door guts fun? I still think that was the cause for all the labor troubles in England.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
James, our member Brian Tilton 3D prints the plastic parts for the door latch. I've tested them as others have, much better than originals.
You can send him a PM at Bpt70gt you won't be disappointed, be sure and get the new door gasket.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The windows roll up and kinda seal the top but with the vent glass you're going to have another issue. Spitfire tops are semi dry to start with, so you're good.

'S all for now
Vic

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Victor, I owned a '37 MG TA for many years, fold down windshield and side curtains, you got wet if it snowed. The top is there for downpours to kept the dash dry, no big expectations with TR tops. The '49 has the best one of the TR's I've had, but I pretty much made it to fit.
The Jag does one heck of a job. and quite too., but you could buy a Spitfire, a good one, for the price to replace it.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links