AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada   CAN
Hey Guys,
I'm having some ignition trouble. Car cranks fine ,but no spark. I have power from the coil,but none from the dizzy to plugs.
The only thing I can figure is the Accuspark electronic ignition,I have. Has anyone else had trouble with these.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
I did. Installed the unit and like you, no spark. Spoke to the rep in the UK and sent them pictures of my wiring. They had no idea but sent me another unit. I had the same issue until... I moved the Accuspark unit closer to the pickup ring. If the gap is too big it won't trigger.
Try that...

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
If you are getting a spark from the coil (centre HT wire) the ignition is OK, the problem must be with your Distributor cap, Rotor or plug wires.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
It was working fine, until one morning. Of course, I went ahead and changed out everything else,. Ill give it a go.

holymolyitsclay Clay B.
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Have you put in a new condenser? I posted about a similar issue and had a ton of suggestions for new condenser and/or new points.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1594719 by holymolyitsclay Have you put in a new condenser? I posted about a similar issue and had a ton of suggestions for new condenser and/or new points.

He is using electronic ignition.

"I have power from the coil,but none from the dizzy to plugs. "

Please clarify!

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
Yes ,the accuspark eliminates the points and condenser. Yes. I tested the coil, even swapped it out for one I know is ok
The rotor spins, but still just cranking.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1594735 by 76SFIRE Yes ,the accuspark eliminates the points and condenser. Yes. I tested the coil, even swapped it out for one I know is ok
The rotor spins, but still just cranking.

If you disconnect the centre HT wire from the distributor and hold the end close to a good ground, do you get a spark when cranking?

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
I had an issue with my accuspark, during races I was getting a weird intermittent thing. Found my module wasn’t screwed down. Screwed it down and all was good. Later in race season I was having the engine mysteriously cut out. So I’d be wizzing around and have to turn my ignition key to get it running again. That time i found one of the wires coming from the unit was shorting out. I had my car running, I’d gently twist one of the wires and the engine cut out. I replaced as much of it as I could and all was good again.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
I picked up a cheap inline spark plug tester. Cranked it but no spark. Should I trust it. Ive tried two different coils, but no dice! The auucspark wiring is very simple.
red to positive ,black to negative. whats confusing ,is the rotor spins.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
might you have the old points and condenser to try out? not that hard to swap, see if its the accuspark unit that's the problem. but trying a different rotor would be an even easier test as well. I'd listen to tony though and test the main lead for spark.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
The rotor is on a shaft driven by the engine crankshaft. All it does is direct the HT current to each HT plug wire in the cap in sequence.

Rotor arms can wear at the contact or short to ground by forming a carbon trail (tracking) the same thing can happen with distributor caps which can also crack.

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
Thanks Guys,
I,ll give both a try.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
How to test a coil:

Disconnect all the wires.

Take a 12v + direct from the battery to the + terminal on the coil.

Make and break the - terminal to ground with a short wire.

Each time you break connection with the ground you should be able to see a spark with your spark tester from the HT cable on the coil.

Attachments:
spark tester.pdf    1.23 MB

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Which version is the accuspark in this car?

Is it the self contained or is it an external box with the dizzy housing only the sensor?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster