Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada   CAN
The accuspark unit consists of a round magnet that slides over the rotor arm shaft,and a pickup that sits in the dizzy itself .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Jason this might clarify things for you.
My scratchy illustration shows a conventional ignition (simplified)

A cam on the distributor shaft opens and closed a switch (points) that switch the coil on and off 4 times with each revolution.
Each time the coil is switched off a spark is produced.
That spark power is directed back to the distributor cap where a rotor arm also on the distributor shaft (not illustrated)
'Distributes' that spark to the appropriate spark plug.

Your accuspark is much the same, only the switch is electronic and instead of a cam a magnetic ring operates it.

The cahances are you accuspark is fried, and all you can do is replace that. But before you shell out any money you may as well check that the other components work.

All you need do is create that switch manually (as I advised in a previous post) and see if a spark is produced .

Attachments:
IMG_20180731_083728.jpg    15.8 KB
IMG_20180731_083728.jpg

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
Thanks tony,
Im going to try and dig out my old points and condenser as well. Lol. snow will still be around until June,on this coast anyway.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1595056 by 76SFIRE Thanks tony,
Im going to try and dig out my old points and condenser as well. Lol. snow will still be around until June,on this coast anyway.

Snow! Tell me about it. they gave us a weather warning last night, I was asked to drive someone to Victoria because of it
(I am there now)

They warn we could have accumulations of up to 1/2" eye popping smiley

76SFIRE Avatar
76SFIRE JASON HOBBS
Yikes,
That would even make us Newfies nervous. I have an old land rover, if your looking for a swap.Studded snow tires and all.Lol.
Although, you may need a Unimog for that kind of forecast.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I WILL NEVER,NEVER, NEVER MAKE SNIDE JOKES ABOUT OUR NORMAL LACK OF SNOW IN WINTER EVER AGAIN!

Attachments:
20190212_084249.jpg    48.8 KB
20190212_084249.jpg

T-Bolt Ted Teddy Bear
Wildmansbeach, South-Carelia, Finland   FIN
Nice to see you're getting some too. About six inches here today, kept me and the other British Leyland product busy for a whole hour.

Abington, PA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "Rodney"
Hi all,

I still have a 1976 MG Midget 1500 that i bought brand new. It came from the factory with the Spitfire engine and Lucas' first electronic distributor. That unit worked fine until about late 1989. Then at full speed on an interstate highway the engine would suddenly stop and I would have to crank it again while coasting at about 50 mph. This happened a few times on other roads and I would pull off, wait a bit and then it would fire up again and run fine all the way home. Finally in 1991, I carefully mothballed the car in my garage and spent my money on a larger house now that I had three sons from 2 to 13 years.

In late 1999, I did a modest refit on the car to preserve it and that's when I studied the distributor closely. Well, the pick up on the electronic Hall effect unit was pitted from arcing, probably because of moisture getting into the cap. So, I bought a Pertronix electronic set up and put it in in place of the Lucas one. The car fired up immediately but I've never gotten the timing correct. Now doing a much more extesnive refit of the car since I'm retired -- and I ordered a brand new points and condenser distributor from Victoria British in case I give up on the electronic one. The VB unit is the same one that was fitted to Spitfire 1500s and MG 1250 engines up to about 1974. Old stuff is oft times better and easier to fix than "modern" stuff.

Cheers,

Richard

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
"The VB unit is the same one that was fitted to Spitfire 1500s and MG 1250 engines up to about 1974. Old stuff is oft times better and easier to fix than "modern" stuff."

Interesting! Is the VB distributor NOS Delco* or is it Lucas? Or is it aftermarket? (Caveat emptor if it is!)

*Spitfires used a Delco distributor with mechanical tach drive up to @75

Abington, PA, USA   USA
Hi Tony,

I'll go into the garage tomorrow and check the new points distributor, and get back to you. Have not looked at it since I ordered it. I do remember a "made in UK label" on it when I opened the box and pulled it out to inspect. It's a complete unit with cap, rotor and dog on the shaft. The Midget's present distributor is the one it came with in '76 and it's definitely a Lucas, a bad attempt at electronics apparently -- it was dropped and replaced with a different type the next year in '77. Parts for both types are unavailable today. Anyway, I'll see if I can find a maker's mark on the new "old" distributor. That would be interesting. I just sent a note to an MG friend, Jere McSparran, who rebuilds MG and Triumph 1500 engines ( see http://jmacengineshop.weebly.com ) that in Aug/Sept when I started disassembly of engine emission components to clean them up and reinstall them, I found the AIR Pump is a US Saginaw product, the Check Valve is AC/Delco and the EGR Valve is GM, not mention that the first two mechanical gas pumps that I replaced decades ago were terrible, leaky AC/Delco pumps. Guess "global sourcing was nothing new back in the 70's.

Regards,

Richard

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596126 by Tonyfixit I WILL NEVER,NEVER, NEVER MAKE SNIDE JOKES ABOUT OUR NORMAL LACK OF SNOW IN WINTER EVER AGAIN!

Looks like Michigan in 77.

Then another storm comes along and dumps another two feet on top of the original two feet.

Abington, PA, USA   USA
Hi Doug, and you're in Las Vegas?! I thought that the only signs of snow in Nevada were on the mountain tops -- but I haven't been in that state since traveling with an military convoy about 1970 in winter. It was cold then.

Do you have something better than a sand shovel like we use at the Jersey shore?

Just kidding, stay warm and good luck,

Richard

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
That was memories of Battle Creek, Michigan.

Abington, PA, USA   USA
Wow, then you've really experienced some "climate change." Battle Creek to Las Vegas, that's some difference.

Richard

Abington, PA, USA   USA
Hi Tony,

I have the new VB replacement distributor on the desk in front of me. There are no maker's marks anywhere on it externally or internally. The box has 2 labels, one is VB's which states it is a 45D unit from the UK (and it's identical to my eye to every one of those I've had before). The VB catalog describes it as "Lucas Style 45D distributor." The other box label is from British Motor Heritage and states it is a 45D distributor made in Taiwan. I and my partners have had a few business chats directly with BMH on part supply matters in the past. I do know that BMH holds most of the copywrites and designs and patents for British Leland vehicles and out-of-production Leland vendor's parts and has a number of contract vendors in Taiwan and elsewhere. So, it appears VB got the unit from BMH which makes sense. Moss offers what they claim is a 45D unit that looks the same but is already fitted with a Pertronix electronic ignition. The VB points version is $ 69.95 ( a lower price than its former $ 89.95), and the Moss version is $ 254.99. It is more cost effective to buy the VB unit and a Pertronix kit for $ 109.99.

Regards,

Richard

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster