Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1595533 by Doug in Vegas Do not rely on the Temp gauge.

They usually are wrong.

Well seeing as they are not calibrated. .........

But yes, they can be misleading.

I have spent some time trying to get to the bottom of this, the gauges themselves seem to be pretty reliable but there are other components the may cause readings that are not.... intuitive.

Both our Fuel and Temp gauges are powered through a voltage stabilizer. An electro mechanical device that may cause erroneous gauge readings. Also the sender units used read temps at the engine, may be inappropriate for their application.

The photo below shows the gauge readings of two differant sender units used on the same car on the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 11:52 AM by Tonyfixit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1506632152211.jpg    34.3 KB
1506632152211.jpg

booley Bruce H
Latham, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595503 by gweers Kyle, I have the yellow fan and yes I have the radiator duct in place. I have the side valances but haven’t figured out how to install them.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the side valances were part of Triumphs "plan" for engine cooling. Maybe they were supposed to create a low pressure area behind the radiator thus drawing more air through it?

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595492 by clshore
In reply to # 1595385 by poulsbobill The hotter mine got the worse it ran as well.

Probably fuel related. ( well could be a lot of things)

I have cold air intake, insulated the fuel lines, cold air intake around the carbs and a bigger heat shield, a cowl to shove cold air around the sump.
I use a 160 degree stat during the summer. Adjusted the idle emission control valve to run a little richer on the carb.

Everything i add it runs better and better. Mine hates heat.

Bill

That's not how car thermostats work.
A thermostat sets the MINIMUM temperature when the flow to the radiator is in bypass, not the MAXIMUM temperature.
It does not cause the coolant to run cooler in the Summer, unless the cooling system is already capable of 'over cooling'.

My theory on why this works (and it does) is the type of driving i do. Not flat out all day. ie coasting down a hill or other low throttle activity allows the coolant temp to come down to 160 vs 180 or 190. Thus when i throttle up it gives the car more time to heat back up. Yes while highway drive it does go above 160 and stays here.

I just know when i have the 160 in she runs better.

Anecdotal i know.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, WI, USA   USA
Check it for vapor lock, and maybe install carburetor shields. Pour cold water on the fuel line when it stalls. If it starts right up it's the gas line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:08 PM by Falkon.

Davis Avatar
Davis Gold Member Davis Gregg
Santee, CA, USA   USA
I am running the stock yellow fan with no shrouding. I had my front license plate mounted to the plastic grill in front of the radiator originally but moved it below the bumper with a custom bracket as I was concerned it blocking air flow. Not sure if it made any difference but it made me feel better. The needle on my temp gauge usually swings between 1/2 and 3/4 depending on if I am driving or sitting in traffic.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster