Electric Fan or Better option for GT6

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gweers Gary Weers/A
The Colony, TX, USA   USA
I purchased a 68 GT6 about a a year ago and because of brake issues I have only driven it twice. The first time was a very hot July day and after a twenty minute drive with about fifteen minutes a idling, the temp gauge was reading about 3/4 scale. When I purchased the car, I asked the individual what he had done and was told that he had flushed the radiator, replaced the water pump and thermostat. The car had sat for quite awhile before he had done the rebuild. Would it be a safe assumption to say that flushing the radiator was not sufficient in correcting the problem. The car came from the northwest and was finished in the dead of winter so when he took it out for a test drive (which he video taped) the temp gauge was left of 12 o’clock. I see my options as, recorring the radiator or replacing the radiator. If I replace the radiator I was thinking of purchasing a radiator with an attached fan. Any ideas or suggestions.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Davis Avatar
Davis Gold Member Davis Gregg
Santee, CA, USA   USA
Hi Gary,
My 73 GT6 normally runs around 1/2 to 3/4 on the gauge. I live in San Diego where will get into the high 90's during summer time. I was worried about my car running that hot then checked the the motor and radiator in various spots with an inexpensive infrared temperature gun. Realized I was worrying about nothing. I could never find any temp over 190 on things like thermostat housing, hoses, upper radiator. I think the gauge reads a little high. Have you checked your motor like I did? I would recommend that before you go crazy chasing a problem that might not even exist. Never once has my car overheated to the point of pegging the gauge or blowing past the radiator cap. Now as far as my legs getting cooked, that is another subject!

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Why do you think 3/4 is a problem?

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gweers Gary Weers/A
The reason I suspected an overheating was that when the temp gauge started creeping up, the car began to start losing power and eventually stopped. I pulled over and left it for about an hour, came back and started it up and drove it home.

Davis Avatar
Davis Gold Member Davis Gregg
Santee, CA, USA   USA
Sounds like you have some other issues. Maybe a compression check/oil check to see if you have blown a head gasket?

gweers Gary Weers/A
Thanks Davis, I will check into that when I get home.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595297 by gweers The reason I suspected an overheating was that when the temp gauge started creeping up, the car began to start losing power and eventually stopped. I pulled over and left it for about an hour, came back and started it up and drove it home.

Ah, now that sounds more like possible vapor lock. Lots of discussion on that, try a Search on this forum.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Normally, if it is not spewing water into the overflow, it is not overheating. That does not mean the normal expansion of fluid into the overflow bottle, but the actual spraying everywhere and overflowing that bottle.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
The hotter mine got the worse it ran as well.

Probably fuel related. ( well could be a lot of things)

I have cold air intake, insulated the fuel lines, cold air intake around the carbs and a bigger heat shield, a cowl to shove cold air around the sump.
I use a 160 degree stat during the summer. Adjusted the idle emission control valve to run a little richer on the carb.

Everything i add it runs better and better. Mine hates heat.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 05:33 PM by poulsbobill.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Nothing wrong with having an electric fan if you want one. They do work better than the stock engine fan when you are stuck in traffic. And don't run when not needed.

The stock temp gauge may often read at the 3/4 mark at normal temps. This causes many owners to spend lots of money in order to get their engine to run below optimal temps.

Do a search on temps, over heating and vapour lock.

gweers Gary Weers/A
Thanks for all the input, you all have given me a lot of things to think about and experiment on. I’ve had three triumphs and have never had this problem and have never had to make any modifications to any of them. I will probably have to wait until this summer to see if any of the things you have suggested correct the problem. Thanks again for all the great input.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I’d like to ask a few questions regarding your car. What type of fan do you have on it now? Yellow plastic or metal 6 blade? Do you have the radiator duct in place? Kyle.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595385 by poulsbobill The hotter mine got the worse it ran as well.

Probably fuel related. ( well could be a lot of things)

I have cold air intake, insulated the fuel lines, cold air intake around the carbs and a bigger heat shield, a cowl to shove cold air around the sump.
I use a 160 degree stat during the summer. Adjusted the idle emission control valve to run a little richer on the carb.

Everything i add it runs better and better. Mine hates heat.

Bill

That's not how car thermostats work.
A thermostat sets the MINIMUM temperature when the flow to the radiator is in bypass, not the MAXIMUM temperature.
It does not cause the coolant to run cooler in the Summer, unless the cooling system is already capable of 'over cooling'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:57 AM by clshore.

gweers Gary Weers/A
Kyle, I have the yellow fan and yes I have the radiator duct in place. I have the side valances but haven’t figured out how to install them.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Do not rely on the Temp gauge.

They usually are wrong.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster