e-bay/ and value of Spitfires

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
I just know my smiles/dollar are very high.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
Richard in a way your spitfire is quite rare. To be in excellent shape with factory paint and clean all over, nice factory interior is almost impossible to find. These are the types of cars I try to source and I have no issue paying a premium for that. New paint and stuff are nice, but I don't prefer restored cars vs original cars.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1594359 by 79bluespit Richard in a way your spitfire is quite rare. To be in excellent shape with factory paint and clean all over, nice factory interior is almost impossible to find. These are the types of cars I try to source and I have no issue paying a premium for that. New paint and stuff are nice, but I don't prefer restored cars vs original cars.

I'm sure most, if not all of us, agree with that.... but to find a 40 - 50 year old car with excellent factory paint, clean all over, nice interior...… pass me that doobie..... LOL.... They're out there... but rare, rare, rare....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
They are indeed very rare and shouldn't be used as any sort of indicator as to the likely selling price of "normal" cars. I remember a showroom fresh TR7 sold for somewhere around $20K a couple of years ago, it had some thing like 7,000 miles on it and was completely original. Useless as a driver since at the least all the rubber bits would be shot but the ultimate in originality.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
In 2013 my gt6 got backed into on my way home from a car show. Hagarty cut me a check for $3200 within a week of the accident, then cut an additional check 4 months later when we got the estimates finalized and found the parts (gt6 bonnets are not easy to locate). Did end up arguing some, but that’s because the parts pushed it over $6100 for the repair. Everybody I’ve e we heard, Hagarty stands behind their policy’s. Mine was the exception because the damage/loss to value exceeded 70%, which in Washington state says the vehicle should be totaled. Kyle.

In reply to # 1593887 by TheZster
In reply to # 1593863 by rich wino Maybe in the next couple of days I will get together some photos of my car and post them with some info. I know the car to me has the sentimental value witch never comes into play because I got the car brand new. But I am thinking that I would like to get more than the 10,000 if it is totaled.

Good luck with that!!! My insurance company (USAA - one of the best in the world)…. will only cover blue book - unless I take out a special (sub- policy) that requires evaluations, estimates, etc., as a classic..... Really and truly - for me - with maybe 10K invested and a $5K replacement policy.... it's not worth the hassle and "to be determined" issues - should it get totaled....

I did review my policy after reading your post... and couldn't find the "sentimental value" clause anywhere.... (Take that in the spirit intended... LOL)….

Personally - I would review - line by line - your policy with Hagerty..... If you drive off a bridge - are they going to cut you a check for $10K?? Often times the fine print is a touch different than the title on the policy......

Z

rich wino Richard Ruggiero
wallingford, CT, USA   USA
I would have to read my contract with Hagerty again but I believe if you have the car insured for 10,000$ and they agree to that figure if it gets totaled that how much you will get. I have seen some of the charts that show 79 spit number 1 condition as high 14,000$ I would say mine is a 2 but close to a 1. I have it insured for 10,000$. Am thinking of raising it. Neville I see you are in Branford maybe when the weather clears we can take the spits for some exersize. I am in Wallingford and owner of the Paradise Hills Vineyard and Winery. Take a spin over any time we are open as I am here most of the time. Or e-mail rruggiero@paradisehillsvineyard.com.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster