Differential time bomb?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
If your car is a true 1972 US model (VIN FH25001-FH45740) it came with a 4.11 diff -- great for hill climbs or autocross but not so good for highway cruising.
It may have been changed by a PO (especially since a drain plug has been added).
Check your VIN and diff number. Look for a good used 3.89 or get a (rare) 3.63.

Dennis smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 11:35 AM by 14GPDJENGINEERING.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GT6M Avatar
GT6M Markus Bewley
Scaryport, Cumbria, North West Englandshire, UK   GBR
that spring wesha is most likely oft bearing cups ont diff unit.
t,other bit could still be stuck under the bolt.

Ift bolts ed a bit of loctite onit, then it prob wont come adrift.

BUTT, it it does start working loose, then it may well no actually come reet oot, but it,ll deffo put strain on the other bolt on same cup

they are sat in pins though, which may help a wee bit
and ye aint got much power thru it,
but ona 2.0 or 2.5, then id ev a look inside.

can actually tek the diff frunt off , the bit wid the diff init wid oot tek,n the whole diff oot.

tek 1/4 drive shafts oot
prop off
ex off
undo pin flange { if a nyloc nut, center punch it, an count the turns t,get it off, as it,ll be a collapse spacer, total nightmare they are, }
slacken frunt cross plate off the diff
undo cross plate t,chassis
part diff casing, wont come, use a shaft chisel, an gently prise apart.

rgds M

Scaryport, Cumbria, Farr Northwest Englandshire, UK

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594662 by Doug in Vegas I had a valve cover off on an engine when another guy snapped a clip and it flew over 30 feet and I watched it go down the oil gallery.
A guy on another forum found a part of a piston ring , I said it's no big deal if the compression / leak down was ok . He tore it all apart and found that all of the ring were ok and not broken / missing sections .

In reply to # 1594662 by Doug in Vegas another guy snapped a clip
The proper name is , "damn it clip" ! Why they build them with wings I'll never know .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jediscuba Avatar
Jediscuba Steven Spandorf
Southampton, NY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph Spitfire "Pussycat"
1970 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "PussyCat The 4th"
1972 Triumph GT6
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Pussy Cat"
This is not something you want to ignore.
If the spring washer/lock washer broke, chances are the bolt is about to join
the other debris at the bottom of the pumpkin and probably entangle gears on the way.

I would not drive this vehicle without first rebuilding the differential.

If you don't feel comfortable rebuilding the unit, then just take it out and send
it off to someone who is experienced in our LBCs.
You may even want to invest some more money and have it converted to
a Quaife LSD while it's out. These gear sets seem to be able to take
more abuse as well.

It all depends on your budget.

Steve

Attachments:
differential snipet copy.jpg    42.4 KB
differential snipet copy.jpg

T-Bolt Ted Teddy Bear
Wildmansbeach, South-Carelia, Finland   FIN
I'd say looking into the diff would be worth it for the peace of mind alone. Not a big deal to take it out of the car and split the case, a good chance to take a look at your sun gear thrust washers as well.

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594720 by Lizzard
The proper name is , "damn it clip" ! Why they build them with wings I'll never know .

I always thought they were called "Jesus clips"...

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
If it were my car, I would just get a used one and swap it out. I sold 3 of them last year on Ebay for cheap, they can be found relatively easily. You could could continue to drive it and be just fine, but it is a "time bomb" when in perfect condition, so when you know it has internal damage, it is just a matter of when, not if. My history with British cars is that they fail at the most inopportune time so fix it now, so you can enjoy the car this summer.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
I agree with Michael. That's what the older mechanics that I grew up with called them.

Not to be blasphemous but faith alone is holding them in.

I had a two speed rear end lock up on me in an old ford 800 oil truck in the snow. One of the scariest driving moments of my life.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Bowshock Avatar
Bowshock Larry J
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Miss Fire"
Ok. I’ll pull it and see what I can do. I’m not very mechanical so if it gets too deep I will seek a professional or seek out a used one.

I’ll post my progress.

rammy Avatar
rammy Mark W
Ashland City, TN, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jasmine"
pictures of what your seeing/doing would be lovely. I am going to start my diff inspection/tear down and rebuild in the near future

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594831 by Smithisretired

That's weird because I pictured wings that were membranous.

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Hi Larry, there are some wonderful u tube videos showing how to work on the spit diff. They were posted by Calvin "Colorado Dad" who is a forum member. You will need to watch these; a manual alone is not much help. Can someone post a link for Larry? Or just search u tube for 1979 spitfire differntial. John

Bowshock Avatar
Bowshock Larry J
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Miss Fire"
I will watch all videos or read any articles posted here. I hope to start this weekend. I’ll create a new thread linking back to this one.

Fair warning, my grandfathers were both mechanics but I have the mechanical aptitude/skill of a three fingered Highland Gorilla.

I have replaced the rear brakes on a spitfire 8 times. It was only supposed to be once, and it was all on one car, and it took about 1 year. I got it done but it was a journey!! The car was on blocks the entire time.

This should be exciting!! Or at least interesting/entertaining.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 01:32 PM by Bowshock.

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594870 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1594831 by Smithisretired

That's weird because I pictured wings that were membranous.

I was told back in the 1960s that they got their name because, when they sprang away out of sight, the mechanic would ask "Jesus, where did that damn thing go?"

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
EVERY Spitfire diff (and trans) is a ticking time bomb.
They are consumable resources, like a candle.
As they are used, they are consumed, until at the end there is nothing left, and they must be repaired or replaced.

This is true of ALL cars and parts, racers learn that lesson early on.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster