AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bowshock Avatar
Bowshock Larry J
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Miss Fire"
My 72 has been parked for about 2 years. It stopped leaking out the differential a while ago and I decided to replace the pinion seal to hopefully stop the leaking.

I removed the drain plug and no fluid came out. Not too surprising as it had been leaking for a while. What did come out (stuck to the magnetic drain plug) was what is pictured below.

I hadn’t planned on rebuilding/replacing the differential but this scares me a bit.

If I replace the pinion seal and refill with fluid am I just driving a time bomb around waiting for the differential to explode? Or will I probably be OK for a while?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
65EEF7DC-9DD7-47B3-80CB-3C107133BE2B.jpeg    6.7 KB
65EEF7DC-9DD7-47B3-80CB-3C107133BE2B.jpeg

E95CD1E8-D476-46F0-8368-D9230EF1310C.jpeg    20.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Where is the rest of the circle , I wonder ?

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

Bowshock Avatar
Bowshock Larry J
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594573 by JohnW63 Where is the rest of the circle , I wonder ?

Exactly!!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
1937 Dodge Magnum "The Dodge"
1947 Unknown Unknown "My Autocar"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Vicki's Little Red Car"
It's a bit difficult to gauge size and I don't recognize it as part of a differential, but I wouldn't want another piece of it to get between gears, probably break the case.

Bowshock Avatar
Bowshock Larry J
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Good point on size. Posted another picture.

MKIII Avatar
MKIII Norbert S
Moerfelden, Hessen, Germany   DEU
It is part of the spring washer 118977
https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rear-axle-centre-details

Regards Norbert 1969MK3

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Yup.

Tear it down.

Bowshock Avatar
Bowshock Larry J
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594579 by MKIII It is part of the spring washer 118977
https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rear-axle-centre-details

Will this require a complete tear down and rebuild? I don’t think I have the mechanical skillls for that.

MKIII Avatar
MKIII Norbert S
You have to remove the two quarter shafts 139531 and seperate the housing, then you see where the missing washer should be. No adjustment or spezial tool is needed.
But you have to pull the diffconfused smiley

Regards Norbert 1969MK3

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Reseal and fill . The other part has been in there awhile and has done nothing , its not likely to do anything just now that you have removed the broken off section . I'd take a chance and run it , if it makes no bearing going south sound or gear noise , I'd run it till it's showing a need . I'd also try to have a replacement stashed away .

MKIII Avatar
MKIII Norbert S
If that screw comes loose you will have a completely damaged Diff. Also it could block the rear axle and a serious accident can follow, I wouldn't drive the Diff any more.

Regards Norbert 1969MK3

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
get a used replacement for a 100 bucks, they come up on buy/sell now and again. pull your diff and replace with the newly obtained. then tinker with the one you pulled. it might be an easy fix for you, maybe impossible. it might look like it's not even worth rebuilding.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
1937 Dodge Magnum "The Dodge"
1947 Unknown Unknown "My Autocar"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Vicki's Little Red Car"
It might also be possible that it is residue of a previous teardown, and there is nothing wrong with your differential now. "Feelin' lucky punk"! I'd prepare for replacement.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594628 by MKIII If that screw comes loose you will have a completely damaged Diff. Also it could block the rear axle and a serious accident can follow, I wouldn't drive the Diff any more.

It's unlikely that he found the thing attached to the magnet right after it broke , so he has been driving with that washer broken and nothing bad has happened . Its very likely that nothing bad will happen .

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594656 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1594628 by MKIII If that screw comes loose you will have a completely damaged Diff. Also it could block the rear axle and a serious accident can follow, I wouldn't drive the Diff any more.

It's unlikely that he found the thing attached to the magnet right after it broke , so he has been driving with that washer broken and nothing bad has happened . Its very likely that nothing bad will happen .

What gets me is when you tear something like this down and everything is fine (apart from the piece) and it turns out someone worked on it before and missed getting that piece out of there.

What's even more fun is when someone has something go "boing" and fly accross the shop and land in someone else's work. I had a valve cover off on an engine when another guy snapped a clip and it flew over 30 feet and I watched it go down the oil gallery.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster