AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

John Preston Avatar
John Preston John P
ATHENS, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph Spitfire "The Angry Hornet"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
I just got a cool new Ebay UK find in the mail this week. A collection of all the paint chips for Standard and Triumph cars from 1957 to 1964. According to the ad, the paint chips were produced in 1964 and have not seen the light of day since 1964 and were found in the back of a closet. I have seen all the paint codes posted on the internet, most of them look to be the size of a thumbnail and most look washed out. These are all 1 inch by 3inches and look like they were painted yesterday. For those of us who were borne after the 60s, its nice to see a paint chip with bright vibrant colors. I am amazed to see the variation on the white colors. Pearl (Spa) white, Beach White, Nimbus White, Sebring White, White, Ivory White and Valazquez cream. Damn I wished they painted new cars with such great colors. I didnt realize that Nimbus white and Sebring White had so much blue in them. I dont think I have ever seen an original car with these colors. I dont think I have ever seen a triumph painted in Coffee or Beige as well.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
paint codes chips.jpg    42.1 KB
paint codes chips.jpg

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hi John,

You might want to take them to a good automotive paint supplier and have them read / scan the pigment and note the mix ratios for the colors so that others can have that information. I know that when I redid my GT6 I had to find an original area of paint that had not been exposed to the elements to get the correct color scan so the paint could be mixed to be as close to original Signal 32 Red and it was just lucky that the dash pad had never been removed so the paint under the original dash pad was the original paint and color.
Just a suggestion that might help someone down the road.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595705 by MHKflyer52 Hi John,

You might want to take them to a good automotive paint supplier and have them read / scan the pigment and note the mix ratios for the colors so that others can have that information. I know that when I redid my GT6 I had to find an original area of paint that had not been exposed to the elements to get the correct color scan so the paint could be mixed to be as close to original Signal 32 Red and it was just lucky that the dash pad had never been removed so the paint under the original dash pad was the original paint and color.
cool smiley

I second that motion! Here is your chance to make a major contribution to Mankind. I had the same issue when I resprayed mine in the original Conifer, but did not have any useful chip as a PO had sprayed the car some sort of red.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595693 by John Preston I just got a cool new Ebay UK find in the mail this week. A collection of all the paint chips for Standard and Triumph cars from 1957 to 1964... I am amazed to see the variation on the white colors. Pearl (Spa) white, Beach White, Nimbus White, Sebring White, White, Ivory White and Valazquez cream. Damn I wished they painted new cars with such great colors. I didnt realize that Nimbus white and Sebring White had so much blue in them. I dont think I have ever seen an original car with these colors. I dont think I have ever seen a triumph painted in Coffee or Beige as well.
Many of those colors only appeared on certain models of Standard and/or Triumph, but not necessarily across the entire range. For example, beige was a TR3 color for a relatively short period of time. Coffee was found on early Heralds and some Standard saloons and estates. Velasquez Cream was another short-lived color, appearing on some early TR4 and perhaps other Standards. I think Nimbus White was more a secondary color, such as found in the "white" band around the window area of some Standard 10 and Triumph 10 estate wagons.

Interesting to see "Pearl (Spa)White" phrased that way, implying that they were the same color? Is there mention of "Primrose" v. "Pale" Yellow? I have a similar chip set, but it's packed away at the moment, so I can't reference it. sad smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1595705 by MHKflyer52 Hi John,

cool smiley

John,
Along with putting the scan information on this forum It might help many other Triumph owners if you made the information available through the Vintage Triumph Register.
All the best,
Paul

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Anybody have the PPG code for cactus green by chance? Kyle.

bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
In reply to # 1596253 by twomanytriumphs Anybody have the PPG code for cactus green by chance? Kyle.
http://teglerizer.com/triumphcolors/index.html

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Thank you. I should have gone and looked. Kyle.

In reply to # 1596261 by bonnett1954
In reply to # 1596253 by twomanytriumphs Anybody have the PPG code for cactus green by chance? Kyle.
http://teglerizer.com/triumphcolors/index.html

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links