Complete newbie

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RichBGT6 Richard BELLINGHAM
Marden, Kent, UK   GBR
Helping a friend of mine with GT6 Mk3 resto. We were pulling tge wiring loom out of a donor car..... what is the yellow connector box in the left rear wing? Is this the voltage regulator? Can't see anything on the wiring diagram

Thanks

Richard

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601409 by RichBGT6 Helping a friend of mine with GT6 Mk3 resto. We were pulling tge wiring loom out of a donor car..... what is the yellow connector box in the left rear wing? Is this the voltage regulator? Can't see anything on the wiring diagram

Thanks

Richard

Hello Richard,

First what year square tail. I have a 71 that I restored and there was no such yellow connector box in the left rear wing of my car just the side marker light and the gas tank filler.
A photo might help. It could be something that the PO might have installed, maybe some form of alarm / tracker system.
Hope this helps.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1601409 by RichBGT6 Helping a friend of mine with GT6 Mk3 resto. We were pulling tge wiring loom out of a donor car..... what is the yellow connector box in the left rear wing? Is this the voltage regulator? Can't see anything on the wiring diagram

Thanks

Richard

Richard,
The name of that device slips my mind at the moment, but it dims the rear lights when the headlamps are lit to avoid blinding following drivers at night. General wisdom is that bypassing it so the lights run at full brightness is safer now.
All the best,
Paul

+1 Yes No Thank
  Herald948 thanked spitfire50 for this post
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In UK sold cars that is the Night Dimming Relay, works as Paul mentions above. An online search for the item should give you some good information as to its use in general and what the current regulations are for that device in the UK.
RHD wiring diagrams usually show it. #13 in the attached diagram
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

Attachments:
GT6-RHD-KE20000on.pdf    580.6 KB

+1 Yes No Thank
  Herald948 thanked Yellowhawk Valley for this post
bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
Rear lights blinding following drivers? I'm lucky if i'm seen from behind in the dark.confused smiley

Yes No Thank
RichBGT6 Richard BELLINGHAM
Marden, Kent, UK   GBR
Thanks so much for everyones help..... really friendly forum.
Thanks also for the wiring diagram

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1601487 by bonnett1954 Rear lights blinding following drivers? I'm lucky if i'm seen from behind in the dark.confused smiley

There used to be halogen brake light kits, super bright! Why?

Often I would have to travel out of London heading North early in the morning, there is an area on the M1 motorway known as Whatford Gap where the road covers rolling hills. Due to Fog It was not uncommon for cars on that road to encounter a change from unlimited visibility to perhaps 30ft visibility within a distance of maybe 75 yards as they decend a hill at 70 (or more) mph :-(

Faced with this sudden loss of vision, your first reaction is to hit the brakes, but someone, perhaps a large truck will be comming up behind you, so you slow gently, peer into the fog and pray.

Nowadays they have overhead warning signs to reduce traffic speeds if conditions ahead dictate.

+1 Yes No Thank
  bonnett1954 thanked Tonyfixit for this post
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1601487 by bonnett1954 Rear lights blinding following drivers? I'm lucky if i'm seen from behind in the dark.confused smiley

When I was over there in late 60's, it was very common for the cities to not allow headlights on within certain parts of the city, based on the amount of street lighting available. With the yellow street lights it allowed your eyes to accommodate the relative light level and it could be briefly blinding for full power brake lights to come on, on some cars. My 69 Spit I drove over there for a year did not have that fixture as it was an export model. I got stopped by a Bobby once and asked about my brake lights. When I explained, he accepted and we just chatted for a bit.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

+1 Yes No Thank
  bonnett1954 thanked Yellowhawk Valley for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster