Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MichaelB48 Avatar
MichaelB48 Michael B
Vancouver, vancouver, wa, USA   USA
TSI sells a kit that installs a clutch slave cylinder bleed hose leading from the slave up to the bulkhead. Looks like a nifty idea, and don't the air bubbles rise to the top for simpler bleeding? I can fabricate a custom line easily. Has anyone tried this idea, and how does work in practice?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, ON, Canada   CAN
TSI remote bleed kit just moves the bleed point to a convenient location. It's nothing more than SS braided hose that screws into the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and has a bleed screw on the other end, which is located to the engine compartment. It should work nicely and I'd like to install one but I'm just having a hard time with the asking price.

Yes No Thank
MichaelB48 Avatar
MichaelB48 Michael B
Take a look at this setup: http://www.mntriumphs.org/aOLD/Tech_Info/Spit%20clutch%20slave/Spit_Clutch_Slave.html
This is a DIY setup that can be run up to the bulkhead and braced into place, keeping the bleed valve below the level of the clutch master. Simplicity!

Attachments:
DSC01558.JPG    24.8 KB
DSC01558.JPG

Yes No Thank
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
I guess I've never really understood the "necessity" for a remote bleeder. If this were a procedure that had to be done on a weekly basis, fine. On the other hand, if you have to do it weekly, you've got other problems that a remote bleeder hasn't solved! grinning smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yes No Thank
Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, ON, Canada   CAN
Good point Andrew.

The one that Michael provided a link to certainly is simple and cheap and does make the bleed accessible, although introducing lots of possible leak points.

Yes No Thank
hymodyne Avatar
hymodyne james king
salisbury, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Baby Blue"
I installed these on my bike and on the GT6:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-GT6-Brake-and-Clutch-Speed-Bleeders-/271102061133?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1ef12a4d

The only additional things I need to bleed brake or clutch from the drivers seat is a length of clear plastic tubing and a reservoir to catch the exiting fluid.

The set I bought recently for the triumph did have one that did not work, so they're not fool proof, but its basically a check valve installed in a bleed screw.

James

Yes No Thank
90632D Avatar
90632D Fox Trapper
Various, USA   USA
Sure you can do it yourself and fab one up with a few bits of hardware you pick up at the auto store.

Will you do it, and is it worth your time when compared against the simple kit Ted sells? Can't tell you. That you must decide.

Yes No Thank
rxgod Eric Lee Perry
New Castle, PA, USA   USA
Did a forum search and found this old thread, so I thought I'd revive it for a question rather than start a new topic.

I bought one of these remote bleeders from Moss. Pricey? You bet. But it beats having to remove half the interior every time I need to bleed the clutch slave. Looking at it, I'm having a little trouble understanding it's design. No instruction came with it, BTW.

It looks like you would replace the bleed nipple of your slave cylinder with the appropriate adapter. Then attach the remote line to that. Then run the braided line through to the engine compartment. At the end of the line is a small nut that you would loosen to do the bleeding. Timidly, I say that it looks pretty straightforward.

What I don't see is how the fluid is released from the slave to the line to make it's way out to be bled. It doesn't appear to have any valve system at the cylinder side. How is it supposed to work?

I still have the engine out of my '80 Spitfire and the tunnel cover off, so I figgered I'd play around with this while everything is still opened up and see if I want to keep it in the car. Has anyone installed one of these since this thread was started who might like to share their experience?

Yes No Thank
MichaelB48 Avatar
MichaelB48 Michael B
I'm pleased to report that I installed my own system right after posting this message and it works fine. Do a search and you'll see the setup. Basically, the bleed nipple is replaced with the line extending into the bulkhead area. I used a 30" line and bent it to fit, using a section of pipe as the mandrel. Nothing simpler, works great.

Yes No Thank
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 912035 by rxgod What I don't see is how the fluid is released from the slave to the line to make it's way out to be bled. It doesn't appear to have any valve system at the cylinder side. How is it supposed to work?

Very straightforward. All it's doing is relocating the bleeder nipple out to the end of a flexible line. You crack the bleeder at that end and bleed by pressure on the clutch pedal or with a vacuum source. The bleeder nipple is the valve.

Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 09:20 PM by grubscrew.

Yes No Thank
rxgod Eric Lee Perry
New Castle, PA, USA   USA
Saw this post that you made. I guess my underlying question is whether or not the retail remote bleeder is a straight pass thru to the other end of the braided line? My concern is that if that is the case, that teeny tiny little bleed nut might not become a leakage problem down the line? Thoughts?

ps. @ Dave - thank you for the clarification. My thought was that the replacement of the bleeder from the slave made it a direct pass thru, but I wasn't sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 10:21 PM by rxgod.

Yes No Thank
Brit car fan Avatar
Brit car fan David Salmon
Broadstone, Dorset, UK   GBR
After having similar problems bleeding the clutch on my Spitfire 1500 I designed the ideal thing. I now sell these on eBay if anyone's interested - had good feedback so far.
Dave.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273761793912

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster