AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1601952 by Hot Spit Andrew,

Take a look at these photos. They are from my 79 Spitfire. The double flares pipes and Wheel Cylinders I believe are correct for years 76-80. Bubble flares are used on the Master Cylinders and PDWA. PDWA and Master Cylinder fittings are metric. This is correct for model 1500 Spitfires as far as I can tell. Double flares are the correct flare for both ends of the transfer pipe.

Mike

Mike,
Excellent pics. They show there was a change in the flare type at the rear wheel cylinder. I suspect that came at the change to the long axle. Earlier wheel cylinders had the brake hose directly attached to the wheel cyl. Long axle cars, of course, have the transfer pipe on the backing plate between the hose and the cylinder.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
am143a ANDREW MORRIS
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
Thanks for all of this information. The issue is that the cylinders I bought won't work with the existing fittings because they need a double flare and fully threaded (as shown in Mike's post above) so I am going to just take off the old brake line and see if I can replace the fitting on the end and make the correct flare.
If I have to replace the entire line David's tip about where to get the correct fittings will be very useful.

Yes No Thank
am143a ANDREW MORRIS
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
I ended up dremelling off the bubble flare, putting a clean cut on the end of the brake line and installing a new fitting and inverted flare. I had to straighten and re-bend the line but it all looks OK and no leaks so far although because the line was shortened as a result it doesn't have the nice 180 degree bend at the end where it connects to the cylinder. I might have a go at making a new line from scratch over the weekend.

However, when I put the handbrake lever back it looks to me as though the indent in the end of the lever that goes through the square hole in the brake shoe is pointing the wrong way (ie towards the cylinder instead of towards the shoe that it has to push outwards). Am I missing something here? This is for the left side. I have not done the right side yet. Is it possible that the left and right side levers got swapped at some point?

Thanks.

Attachments:
2019-03-15 07.36.23.jpg    46.7 KB
2019-03-15 07.36.23.jpg

2019-03-15 07.36.13.jpg    42.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
Andrew,

When you pull the lever it will (should) move the brake shoe out. There is no right and left hand lever, same for both sides.

Also see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162796019347?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Mike

Attachments:
IMG_4575.JPG    50.4 KB
IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4576.JPG    46.2 KB
IMG_4577.JPG    39.4 KB
+2 Yes No Thank
  Herald948 and spitfire50 thanked Hot Spit for this post
am143a ANDREW MORRIS
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
Thanks- it must be correct then. Your rear axle and brakes are much cleaner than mine, even after my efforts to clean everything up with degreaser and a wire brush.

Another silly question- am I correct that the shoe on the opposite side to the one that the handbrake lever engages with needs to be installed so that the square hole is on the bottom (as in your pics). Or does it matter?

Yes No Thank
Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Andrew,

This diagram shows the correct orientation.

Mike

Attachments:
Rear brakes.jpg    41.9 KB
Rear brakes.jpg

Yes No Thank
am143a ANDREW MORRIS
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
Thanks- thats what I thought.

Yes No Thank
am143a ANDREW MORRIS
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
So everything is on as in the picture but I still can't get the brake drums on. The adjuster is all the way back- I took it off and cleaned it to be sure.
I have tried moving the pads up and down but no luck. I have new drums but the old drum also won't go on. I've attached a couple more pics. At this point I am thinking about grinding off the ends of the rear facing pad but before I do that can anyone spot anything else that I might have missed?

Attachments:
2019-03-16 10.14.08.jpg    49.1 KB
2019-03-16 10.14.08.jpg

2019-03-16 10.14.17.jpg    56.7 KB
Yes No Thank
Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Andrew,

Looking at your photo it looks like the shoes may be a little low. Tap the bottom of the shoes to raise them a little bit so that they are centered with the back plate and try again to put the drum on.

Mike

Yes No Thank
mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
Is your wheel cylinder fully retracted? Squeeze the ends with a big pair of channel locks and see if you can get some more (Or less) room in there. Make sure the e-brake is loose also.

Marty

Yes No Thank
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Your adjuster doesn't look like it's all the way closed from that picture. They have a squared end so you might have to go a few extra turns to get it closed all the way.

'S all for now
Vic

Yes No Thank
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
This reminds me that part of my springtime checklist is tighten the manual adjusters.

Yes No Thank
Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
All the above, and I see the leading edge of the pad has a nice chamfer, but you might also consider slightly chamfering the sharp outside circumference of the pads to help them centre as you push the drum on.

Yes No Thank
am143a ANDREW MORRIS
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
Thanks for all your suggestions. In the end I decided that the issue was that the end of the new shoes without the square hole for the handbrake lever was longer by about 1/8 inch than the old ones I took off. So I took that off and now everything fits perfectly. I am not sure why that would be- the shoes were from one of the usual vendors that generally does a good job supplying parts that fit.

Yes No Thank
Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Andrew,

Are you sure your new brake shoes aren't meant for a GT6's larger brakes?. Match the radius of the new shoe to your old shoe to see if they are the same. If not you have the wrong shoes. Easy enough to check.

Mike

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster