Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Any one install a Spitfire mark4 steering Rack in a MK 3 GT 6?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
As some of you know I’m deep into a complete restoration on my Mark III 72 GT 6 I bought coffee bring the trailer website.
The rolling chassis is now at my mechanics and we made the decision to change the steering rack for the quick ratio mark 4 Spitfire steering rack. I Purchased a brand new steering rack from SPITBITS (TRIUMPH) here on the West Coast it’s supposed to be just a straight Bolt in, anyone done this and can tell me if they feel the difference in the quickness of the steering ?

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Having used one of those aftermarket steering racks a couple of years back on an MGC, I would not use one again.

The rack, that was not servicable (greased for life) was replaced after just one year. It was NOT a duplicate of the original rack needing some tweaks to sort out grounding etc.

Rimmers offer re-built original racks that seem to be a better bet, or you could re-build a good Spitfire rack yourself

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
Just curios, did you buy a “normal” ratio spitfire rack? Or “quick” ratio spitfire rack? Those are both quicker than a gt6 rack. I went to a quick ratio in my spitfire and the steering is noticeably more difficult, the wider tires just make it worse. But it serves its purpose for autocross. I thought “hey I could put the spitfire’s old rack in my gt6” , but then I came to my senses. Why do you need the quicker ratio?

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595251 by Ron Avery As some of you know I’m deep into a complete restoration on my Mark III 72 GT 6 I bought coffee bring the trailer website.
The rolling chassis is now at my mechanics and we made the decision to change the steering rack for the quick ratio mark 4 Spitfire steering rack. I Purchased a brand new steering rack from SPITBITS (TRIUMPH) here on the West Coast it’s supposed to be just a straight Bolt in, anyone done this and can tell me if they feel the difference in the quickness of the steering ?

Ron,
I have a quick ratio rack in my Spitfire. Love on the road, hate it in the driveway. Be prepared to use some muscle when you try to maneuver in a parking lot. My after market steering wheel, which is a smaller diameter than the OEM, doesn't help. The added weight of your six won't help either.
Mike

Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
I am installing a stock Spitfire new steering rack, with 3.7 turns lock to lock. My GT6 has a 4.2 turns lock to lock.
I will be running 13” wheels and tires, the tires are only slightly wider thanks stock. The wheels are a cross between panasport and torque thrust style.
I plan on doing lots of performance driving and auto crossing. I’m also installing adjustable ride height front gas shocks and gas shocks on the rear and polyurethane bushings and all the suspension. Plus a slightly lower right height.

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
Oxnard, CA

Notti Avatar
Notti Eric N
San Dimas, CA, USA   USA
Martin Keller lives right down the road from you and restored/modified his GT6. You should try and reach out to him, he probably has a wealth of knowledge to pass on about these kinds of things.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
I’d say go for it! You can always change it back if you want. I put my quick rack on so I could make all the turns on course with out taking my hands off the wheel, id suggest testing what ya got out and have fun adjusting to what ya like

In reply to # 1595308 by Ron Avery I am installing a stock Spitfire new steering rack, with 3.7 turns lock to lock. My GT6 has a 4.2 turns lock to lock.
I will be running 13” wheels and tires, the tires are only slightly wider thanks stock. The wheels are a cross between panasport and torque thrust style.
I plan on doing lots of performance driving and auto crossing. I’m also installing adjustable ride height front gas shocks and gas shocks on the rear and polyurethane bushings and all the suspension. Plus a slightly lower right height.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595308 by Ron Avery I am installing a stock Spitfire new steering rack, with 3.7 turns lock to lock. My GT6 has a 4.2 turns lock to lock.

Ron,
If you are going into competition you may want to consider up-grading your steering universal joint as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162823606997?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 05:21 PM by Hot Spit.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Hey Ron, if you are all about the performance, I’m not sure why you’re sticking with 13” wheels?

Is it a regulation thing? Are you going to run much lower profile tires? (May be okay on the track, but not so much on the highway). Maybe you already have them and don’t want to spend more? Although if you are yet to buy tires, now is the time to upgrade wheels.

After moderate suspension upgrades to my car I found that they made even less of a difference in feel than the wheel upgrade to 15”.

Just something to think about.

All the best.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
By the way, the only difference beteeen the GT6 and Spitfire 1500 rack is the pinion having one less tooth . I am building a Spit6 and chose the Spitfire ratio. I’ll find out soon what happens.

A penny for your thoughts but everyone gives their 2 cents' worth...somebody is making a penny.

Joao

197? GT6 Convertible
1965 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe
1950 Dodge Meadowbrook

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
This looks interesting, wonder if anyone on forum has tried it?? I’d Fully support making sure the joint you have is tight. Don’t know if I’d want to be feeling every little crack in the road, but getting rid of the steering lash(think that’s the term) was a major benefit.

In reply to # 1595383 by Hot Spit

Ron,
If you are going into competition you may want to consider up-grading your steering universal joint as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162823606997?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Mike

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595485 by Manana Hey Ron, if you are all about the performance, I’m not sure why you’re sticking with 13” wheels?

Is it a regulation thing? Are you going to run much lower profile tires? (May be okay on the track, but not so much on the highway). Maybe you already have them and don’t want to spend more? Although if you are yet to buy tires, now is the time to upgrade wheels.

After moderate suspension upgrades to my car I found that they made even less of a difference in feel than the wheel upgrade to 15”.

All the best.

Steve,
Thanks for the comments. I did upgrade my TR8 to 15” wheels and tires. The GT 6 already has 5 new wheels and tires that came with it. I am only looking at some Autocross runs, and the rest will be street driving.

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
Oxnard, CA

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595485 by Manana Hey Ron, if you are all about the performance, I’m not sure why you’re sticking with 13” wheels?

All the best.

In motorsports you want the smallest wheel that fits over your brakes. Rotating mass and unsprung weight are enemies of fast lap times.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1595569 by RobTAR

All the best.

In motorsports you want the smallest wheel that fits over your brakes. Rotating mass and unsprung weight are enemies of fast lap times.

Perhaps the lightest wheel/tire combination, but going to Alloys over Steele’s will save mass. If you look at my log entry on putting better wheels on my Spit you will see that even increasing width with my 15”ers the weight was near identical.

Edit...(a bigger wheel means less rubber, with alloys that can be a weight reduction)

Lower profile tires will roll over on their sides much less...to that I can most certainly attest. smiling smiley And the result will be much better handling, or at least it was with my moderately improved suspension.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 03:00 PM by Manana.

jimgt6 Jim E
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
I put a Spitfire pinion in my GT6 rack. As was stated above, the spit pinion has 7 teeth and the GT6 (and TR6) has 6 teeth. I have been using it for years and like the feel.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster