Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ww2rafftw Avatar
ww2rafftw Matthew W
Rockville, MD, USA   USA
I'm really on a roll lately with things that aren't what I expect. I purchased this CS-130 alternator (don't ask why, I just did) to replace my generator:

https://123ignitionusa.com/cs-130-import-replacement-105-amp-alternator-for-lucas-equipped-cars-orders-outside-of-the-continental-usa-may-require-additional-fees-before-shipment/?fbclid=IwAR2gF9CIk9gCkq5RxZJ4j-0It-bAmFkQ_Fl8t4ZvxkhUTPYQnJP_QEzXK1s

Got the correct alternator mounting hardware, and well it doesn't fit. There's a lip from the mounting hardware attached to the front of the engine that seems to be interfering. Anyone run into this problem before? Seems longer ears on the alternator would help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 01:11 PM by ww2rafftw.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190209_115413.jpg    51.3 KB
20190209_115413.jpg

20190209_131955.jpg    43.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190209_132253.jpg    32.3 KB
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I have not done it before but there are some changes that have to be done to the mounting hardware when replacing the generator with an alternator. I think there is a thread on here that discusses the process. WIll need to do a search using the Search option at the top.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
I don't know about that particular alternator, but here are a couple of photos of the Bosch (from a late 70's Ford Fiesta) on my 1296 engine.

No changes to either the mounting hardware or the engine were necessary. I only had to replace the generator mounting hardware with those from a later engine that used a Lucas alternator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 01:26 PM by spitlist.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190209_121635.jpg    28.8 KB
20190209_121635.jpg

20190209_121645.jpg    25.1 KB
ww2rafftw Avatar
ww2rafftw Matthew W
Rockville, MD, USA   USA
Joe that has infinitely more clearance than mine!

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
In reply to # 1595326 by ww2rafftw Joe that has infinitely more clearance than mine!

Maybe the people advertising this alternator were a bit optimistic.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hello Mathew,

In the first photo the arrow is pointing to the front engine plate. You can just take a file and remove enough to give you the clearance you need. The second photo and third photo do not make much sense to me. Might I suggest that you hold the new alternator in position with the first photo and see if the belt lines up with the alternator. I think the new spacer is provided to help mount the alternator if it is needed at the back side mount of the alternator. Some times it just takes putting it down and looking at it later or making another bracket / mount to update our little cars.
Hope this helps.

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

ww2rafftw Avatar
ww2rafftw Matthew W
Rockville, MD, USA   USA
Martin, I'm attempting to mount it as seen in Joe's pics above, which appears to be the proper way.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595332 by ww2rafftw Martin, I'm attempting to mount it as seen in Joe's pics above, which appears to be the proper way.

Hi Mathew,

That should work for you. My GT6 has a different but similar mount with the spacer in front of the plate and a little spacer at the back of the factory mount as seen in the photo looking straight down. Sorry it is so dark of a photo but the garage is dark even with the lights on.
Hope this helps.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Attachments:
3111A53F-CE30-42E1-8CD6-5D59C305E55F.jpeg    29.2 KB
3111A53F-CE30-42E1-8CD6-5D59C305E55F.jpeg

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
I swapped out a 1500 mount bracket on my MK3. Here are pictures, etc. Go to the end of the post to get details on the swap. https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/how-to-do-a-generator-to-alternator-conversion-on-a-mk3-triumph-spitfire/

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

ww2rafftw Avatar
ww2rafftw Matthew W
Rockville, MD, USA   USA
Bruce I've taken a look at your guide quite often actually. I think the issue here is really that the ears on this particular style of alternator are just too close to the body. I'm tempted to trim the front plate, but just not sure how close I can trim to the hole for the mount.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
I looked at the specifications and instructions that are a the link for that alternator. I think they are a bit deceptive in saying this is a bolt on replacement. It says in this case grind here, in that case reverse the bushing.... one of the things I learned when researching this is that starting with a proven alternator and pulley is critical. I saw a variety of people struggling with various issues, most had to do with the pulley. Even with the one I bought I had to swap out the mount from a 1500 to get it to work. I would personally return the alternator before grinding on the front plate.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I am trying not to ask why you bought a 105 amp alterator to replace a Lucas generator winking smiley

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
In reply to # 1595411 by Tonyfixit I am trying not to ask why you bought a 105 amp alterator to replace a Lucas generator winking smiley

Indeed. My Bosch 55 amp is plenty to handle all the normal electrics plus a stereo, electric fuel pump and electronic fuel injection and timing.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1595377 by ww2rafftw Bruce I've taken a look at your guide quite often actually. I think the issue here is really that the ears on this particular style of alternator are just too close to the body. I'm tempted to trim the front plate, but just not sure how close I can trim to the hole for the mount.

I think you are right, the ears are too short for this alternator to work properly on this car. It may be possible to make it fit through modifications but it is not a direct fit, obviously. It may be that any alternator you fit will have to have proper later model alternator mount pieces to go with it.
(I'm not asking about the need for a 105 amp alternator either - if it ever pulled that many it would probably stall the engine at an idle. :-))
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

ww2rafftw Avatar
ww2rafftw Matthew W
Rockville, MD, USA   USA
I've opted to return the alternator and get a Bosch/Fiesta clone.

The reasoning for the CS130 had to do with its commonality and the possibility of needing repairs (basically all shops have dealt with them). I've seen them go on the 1500 Triumph motor in an MG. Anyway, lesson learned.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster