A view into the head - too rusty ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I was asking about how the water passages in the head should look, in another thread. I decided the best way was to just pull the water pump and take a shot or two.

I wanted a better shot over the edge of the second one, but didn't know I missed it, until now. The passage is pretty small. Is this all about the norm ?

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
That's not that bad. It'll flush without flaking.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
Remember also that the cast surface isn't very smooth to begin with. I agree with Doug - that should clean up pretty good with a good flush. That's more than likely mineral deposits rather than rust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 07:52 AM by Greg1835.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
That will clean up , boil it , flush it , etc .

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I don't think you even need to bypass the radiator.

rich wino Richard Ruggiero
wallingford, CT, USA   USA
When I take a shot or two it is usually is bourbon. Any way that does not look bad at all. Clean it up put it back together then have a shot or two!

JohnW63 John Williamson
I was hoping it would have come back from the machine shop cleaner, but I'll flush it, when the car is actually back together and running.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595605 by JohnW63 I was hoping it would have come back from the machine shop cleaner, but I'll flush it, when the car is actually back together and running.

Sounds like a good "ala carte" shop.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
You could tape up the holes and fill it with Vinegar or CLR.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595639 by Tonyfixit You could tape up the holes and fill it with Vinegar or CLR.

The lime remover sold by the gallon at smart and final does great.

Foams a lot though.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
1937 Dodge Magnum "The Dodge"
1947 Unknown Unknown "My Autocar"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Vicki's Little Red Car"
I live in dairy farm country, I use milkstone remover which is fairly strong phosphoric acid, @ about $12 a gallon. It eats rust and mineral deposits, but stops when it gets to clean iron.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Here's a tip if you suspect flakes.

Remove the bottom hose. Squeeze it and see if it's coated in lime.

I always use distilled water.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Quote: I use milkstone remover which is fairly strong phosphoric acid, @ about $12 a gallon.

I looked it up. $12.99 a gallon. Then I tried to find it here in California. No go. I have a TractorSupply store here, but they don't sell it at THAT store.

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595740 by JohnW63
Quote: I use milkstone remover which is fairly strong phosphoric acid, @ about $12 a gallon.

I looked it up. $12.99 a gallon. Then I tried to find it here in California. No go. I have a TractorSupply store here, but they don't sell it at THAT store.

John
You can get Phosphoric Acid at Home Depot .....and that cylinder head should have never come back from your machine shop looking that way.

Anytime I see scale like this I soak the entire head in Phosphoric Acid in an ultrasonic cleaner. It helps to keep the acid agitated, a cheap fish tank pump works well if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Phosphoric Acid works like magic.

GH

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Phosphoric acid differs from all other organic acids in having an INSOLUBLE reaction product with ferric oxide, (hematite, rust). Thus it must be scrubbed off, unlike other acids whose products dissolve off.
Phosphoric is a great final preparation of parts AFTER rust has been removed by other means. Iron phosphate, once dried, is a hard, black coating that is an excellent foundation for primer and paint.
But an acid that has a SOLUBLE product with rust will be more effective inside the cooling system, where you cannot reach to scrub it away. Acetic acid works well, as vinegar! Its cheap enough to use neat, and the smell doesn't last!
John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster