71 spit. Stuck in nuteral. HELP

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595111 by jameyemail It is in the shifter linkage. Too much slop in the connection in the middle.
I saw on one of these threads about the gearbox being in N when reassembling the top with the forks onto the gears.?
And if that is the case...how do i get it into N without the shifter?

So you have found that the shifter mechanism is screwy ?
And you want to know how to put it into gear and out of gear without the gear-shift mechanism ?

When you are looking down into the gearbox you will see two places where the shift mechanisms , located in the top cover , reach down and move the parts to shift gears .
One of the places has a wide groove for the fork from above to sit in , when you move the shift lever the fork moves the grooved piece back and forth . Can you grab the grooved piece and move it back to engage a gear , then move it forward to engage another gear ?

Here is a video of the gear inside the gearbox , you can watch the guy shift gears by hand , he grabs the big gear at the top of the video and snaps it into a gear , then he garbs the grooved piece and slides it down to get it into another gear .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 04:07 PM by Lizzard.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jameyemail Avatar
jameyemail jamey winchester
portland, OR, USA   USA
It's difficult at best to move it back and forth. This is the 3rd spit ive had and never have had any problems with the gear box. I havent had time to look it up but how much fliud is supposed to be in there? It seems like there is too much! (It is all the way up halfway up the gears! And it looks terrible. Could that be preventing it from easily going back and forth on the forward gears??

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
You are going off on tangents . Stick with my tests .

On test number 2 , did you get the grooved piece to move forward and back ?
Did you get the other moving piece to move forward and backward ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jameyemail Avatar
portland, OR, USA   USA
Yes it did and as I explained it was very difficult not like in the video and it wouldn't go very far

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595177 by jameyemail Yes it did and as I explained it was very difficult not like in the video and it wouldn't go very far
Did they both move , the grooved one and the other one that looks just like a gear ? They were not stuck fast / non moving ? If so that is a good sign .

What I want you to do next is separate the shift extension from the gear-box top plate and then carefully place the gear-box top plate back on the gearbox . Look down and inside and make sure the three forks are getting put back in place correctly . The one that fits in the groove should of course be in the groove , the one that fits over the gear should be over the gear front and back and the one that moves the reverse gear should be holding the reverse gear . Once you have all the forks lined up and in there correct positions push the gearbox top plate down , put in a couple of bolts , Then try moving a shift forks from above , push it forward and back , do this for all three shift forks . All three should move forward and back along the rods .
Two of the shifts will have a forward , neutral , rear position .
The one that controls reverse will only have neutral and reverse .

If you get the forks all in place correctly , then you can maybe shift into and out of any gear . Shift only one gear in at a time , trying to shift into two gears will bind up the works most times .
Push in the clutch pedal when shifting the gears , it might help and probably would not hurt .

Report back the results when you are finished with all this .

jameyemail Avatar
portland, OR, USA   USA
Im somewhat confused..there is one that fits in the front slot...and one that fits in the rear...over the gear...and then there is one that is off the reverse fork that catches a lever..and is a pain in the ass to get on it at tbe same time. Is tthat the third one youre talking about?

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595200 by jameyemail Im somewhat confused..

1) there is one that fits in the front slot...
2) over the gear...
3) and then there is one that is off the reverse fork that catches a lever..and is a pain in the ass to get on it at the same time.

"Is that the third one you are talking about?"
Yup , those are the 3 .

Once you get them positioned and a couple of bolts holding the top cover onto the gear-box , try slide the forks forward and back along the rods .

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
In reply to # 1593794 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1593788 by jameyemail It isnt in gear at all. They 3 "female" parts in the gear box are not perfectly in line...the one on tbe left is slight back from the othet two.
That looks to be the reverse selector . I can just make out the connection on the right / reverse gear . Maybe put a flat head screw driver in the one slot and tap it forward , maybe that will free the other two to become free to move ?

Lizzard, I think you are incorrect. The picture appears to be looking toward the back of the gearbox, not the way we normally might see it from the driver's or passenger's seat. If I am correct, then the item that is out of alignment is the 3-4 selector fork -- it certainly appears to match the picture in the Rimmer diagram.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005685

If I am correct, then the inability to align the fork to the neutral position would seem to result from something binding on the mainshaft, no?

Smithisretired Avatar
Wells, ME, USA   USA
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595286 by Smithisretired Lizzard, I think you are incorrect. The picture appears to be looking toward the back of the gearbox, not the way we normally might see it from the driver's or passenger's seat.

In this photo the one on the right sure looks to be connected to the reverse gear pin lever etc .

https://www.triumphexp.com/phile/8/115540/20190201_120016.jpg

Smithisretired Avatar
Wells, ME, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595306 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1595286 by Smithisretired Lizzard, I think you are incorrect. The picture appears to be looking toward the back of the gearbox, not the way we normally might see it from the driver's or passenger's seat.

In this photo the one on the right sure looks to be connected to the reverse gear pin lever etc .

https://www.triumphexp.com/phile/8/115540/20190201_120016.jpg

Compare the one on the right with the one on the right in the Rimmer diagram -- they look awfully similar. Ditto the one on the left with the one on the left of Rimmer's diagram that is identified as the reverse selector

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595286 by Smithisretired
In reply to # 1593788 by jameyemail It isnt in gear at all. They 3 "female" parts in the gear box are not perfectly in line...the one on tbe left is slight back from the othet two.
That looks to be the reverse selector . I can just make out the connection on the right / reverse gear . Maybe put a flat head screw driver in the one slot and tap it forward , maybe that will free the other two to become free to move ?

Lizzard, I think you are incorrect. The picture appears to be looking toward the back of the gearbox, not the way we normally might see it from the driver's or passenger's seat. If I am correct, then the item that is out of alignment is the 3-4 selector fork -- it certainly appears to match the picture in the Rimmer diagram.

If I am correct, then the inability to align the fork to the neutral position would seem to result from something binding on the mainshaft, no?

And he reported that reverse in his car was next to 1-2 and not 3-4 . "it is next to 1/2" . This is a clue , what do you think it means ?

Smithisretired Avatar
Wells, ME, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595315 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1595286 by Smithisretired

1-2 is the center selector. Reverse has to be left or right -- can't be any other. Again, picture appears to be looking toward the back of the tgransmission to the rear wheels, in which case the selector on the right is 3-4 and the one on the left is Reverse.

I apologize -- don't mean to offend or challenge your expertise. Perhaps we should confirm the orientation of the picture.

MAS

And he reported that reverse in his car was next to 1-2 and not 3-4 . "it is next to 1/2" . This is a clue , what do you think it means ?

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA

This diagram is incorrect , check out the part they label
Selector Fork
1st/2nd

It has the arm coming off of it to do reverse .

Another part they label
Actuator
it has no arm or fork , it really does nothing as shown .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 01:48 PM by Lizzard.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595323 by Smithisretired I apologize -- don't mean to offend or challenge your expertise.
You can buy the beer tonight then ?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster