AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bonnet center trim
  This topic is about my 1964 Triumph Herald 1200
Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, NY, USA   USA
I am in the process of getting the bonnet ready for bodywork and paint. The PO braised the holes and eliminated the trim. After stripping I could see the holes and the braze fell out to expose the clean original hole for the rivets to attach the clips. I put a scale on it to verify the holes are centered on the body feature and found out that they are a fat 1/16" off center as you ar looking at it from the front. In other words, if the feature is 2" wide then the left dimension to center off hole is 15/16-" and the right side is 1 1/16+".

I thought the clip hole may be offset but it appears centered. It just seems like it will offset the trim enough to be visible especially at the top where it is narrow. Do the clips attach facing a certain way or do I have to weld these holes up and drill them on center? Common sense says that the holes put in at the factory should be correct but enough of this car has been so bastardized that I can't assume anything.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_0493.JPG    46 KB
IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG    39.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0495.JPG    38.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Ed, it looks to me as if you should be ok if you orient all the clips as per your last photo. My mediocre eyes tell me that those clips actually are the slightest bit offset. Also, I've seen any number of Heralds where the strip kinda / sorta doesn't quite look perfectly centered side-to-side (although they probably are)! How does your bonnet top compare in this regard to the one you got from me for parts?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yes No Thank
Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, NY, USA   USA
Andy. Your holes are on the centerline of the feature much closer than mine. I wonder if the drilling of this bonnet was victim of the Monday morning/Friday end of shift case of don't give a damns. It's easy to weld them up and drill new holes. I hate to admit it but it drive me insane every time I would look at it if the trim was off center. angry smiley

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

Yes No Thank
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602097 by Dadsturn Andy. Your holes are on the centerline of the feature much closer than mine. I wonder if the drilling of this bonnet was victim of the Monday morning/Friday end of shift case of don't give a damns. It's easy to weld them up and drill new holes. I hate to admit it but it drive me insane every time I would look at it if the trim was off center. angry smiley
I hear you, Ed! Now that you have a suitable template (or something from which to make a suitable template), it's probably worth that small effort to correct the situation! I know how you feel; it would nag at you forever, even if you were the only one who ever noticed! I'd probably certainly react the same way!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yes No Thank
quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
it would send me over the edge....

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster