Registry: 1960 Triumph TR3A
Bob Holt's 1960 Triumph TR3A
to vote for this car or add your vehicles
After getting home I went over to the local, Cincinnati, Ohio Triumph dealer to see about getting my carburetors repaired. Back then, in 1971, as we all know, getting parts was horrible from the Triumph dealers. They didn't have any parts for the TR3 carbs. However they had a set of used TR4 Strombergs, which I traded (even up - no cost). Luckily they had the universal joints. I was able to get it back up and running with these 2 repairs. Being 21 at the time, along with the replacement parts issues from Triumph, I didn't have much choice in going this direction with the carb issue.
The Stromberg carbs, stayed on my car until 1986, when I took it out of storage from the garage, at my mothers house
Then in 1986, I wanted to go back to the original SU carbs. At this same time, I had a 1967 175CC Bridgestone Motorcycle and I put an advertisement in the Cincinnati Enquirer, that I wanted to buy a set of TR3A carbs. After someone called me about this, we got to talking and he said he had a set. He also had an original tan factory convertible top, which had a small tear in it (I still have this top and hope to see about getting it repaired someday) and other misc items. After telling him about my Bridgestone motorcycle, we decided to do a trade. Now I had a set of period correct carbs and I rebuilt them. We both went away very happy with our items.That trip, was the highlight of my ownership of this car to date .My car had been in a minor front end accident, prior to 69 when I bought it. Luckily, no frame work or front suspension damage. Passenger side front fender, however looks to have been replaced as it did not fit the car. I wonder if this was an oem fender or a repro. The problem is that it did not fit well at all. A lot of cutting, trial fitting & welding to get it to allign with the rest of the body panels. Front cowl, drivers side fender and inner fender had minor damage. A poor repair overall was made back in the 60's. I have been working through all of this. Also made repairs to the seat frames. Found cracks around the holes where they were bolted to the seat rails and twisted seat backs. Added stiffeners to correct this. See a couple posts where I addressed these problems.
PS - I am adding additional information to this description as I remember things and there will be updates.
|Owner:||Bob Holt [bobstr3]|
|Location:||Apache Junction, Arizona, USA|
|Status:||Restoration in progress|
|Current Colour:||Green primer|
|Last Updated:||2016-09-20 10:07:14|
Leave a Comment
This vehicle's information was last updated on 2016-09-20 10:07:14
|Aug 1, 1968||Bob Holt||Added to Registry (ID 26299)|
If this vehicle has been sold and you are the new owner, sign up to become a member (or if you're already a member, make sure you are signed in) and ask the current owner to click the "Transfer Vehicle" button from this car's page. If you have any difficulty with the process, please contact the webmaster.