Soft top window stain

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DavBill Bill J
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
Anyone know what this is on the windows of my TR4 top, or how to get rid of it? The top came out of storage like this. It was folded up in the rear of the car and not in contact with any painted surfaces. Thanks for any ideas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Damage to TR4 top windows.jpg    37.2 KB
Damage to TR4 top windows.jpg

glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
I believe that is brown mildew. Must have been some moisture in the area where stored. I had some of that on the side curtains of a TR3A I bought many years ago. I tried several things to remove it and was finally successful, but I don't remember what worked the best. I remember I tried white vinegar (100%) first, followed by laundry grade chlorox solution (10% chlorox / 90% hot water) and hydrogen peroxide (100%). I think it took all three if I recall correctly. My side curtains were white like your top. I scrubbed the fabric with a brush with each of the chemicals. I do remember that my side curtains looked absolutely like new when I finished. Chlorox is comprised of sodium hypochlorite and can be very corrosive to metal so make sure you thoroughly rinse the top with warm water to remove all of the chlorox. from the fabric and especially the fasteners. Make sure you use rubber gloves and eye protection during the process.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

DavBill Bill J
Thanks, Gary. The photo shows the stain from the inside, which is to say that the exterior of the top is black. I didn't want to try anything that might react with the plastic windows, so I'm glad to have the advice. I'll see how that works.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1482401 by DavBill Thanks, Gary. The photo shows the stain from the inside, which is to say that the exterior of the top is black. I didn't want to try anything that might react with the plastic windows, so I'm glad to have the advice. I'll see how that works.

I didn't realize that your top is black. Since it is black, I would be very hesitant to use either hydrogen peroxide or clorox bleach. I would stick with the white vinegar and see if that works by itself.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

DavBill Bill J
Got it. I'll stick with the vinegar. Thanks.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster