Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Now you've got me wondering... My dad likes this one too, though he says much instead of fewer. But he has no answer.

In reply to # 1469481 by ng19delta And my longtime favorite- "WHY is a mouse when it spins?- Because the higher they go, the fewer!" WITHOUT looking it up, WHAT does this mean? (I'll post the answer tomorrow...)

Scott

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
What's the difference between a duck?
One of his legs is the same.

~Hazen.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Not Sure At The Moment..."
In reply to # 1471549 by byakk0 Now you've got me wondering... My dad likes this one too, though he says much instead of fewer. But he has no answer.

In reply to # 1469481 by ng19delta And my longtime favorite- "WHY is a mouse when it spins?- Because the higher they go, the fewer!" WITHOUT looking it up, WHAT does this mean? (I'll post the answer tomorrow...)

Scott

Got so busy, forgot to post the answer... A "mouse" in this case, is a technical term for the round balls on the centrifugal governor for a steam engine... As they spin faster, they separate outwards, and go upwards. As this occurs, they control a relief valve which bleeds off pressure, and slows the RPM of the steam engine... SO- A "mouse when it spins" is referring to the spinning of t he governor, and "The higher they go" means they raise with speed, from centrifugal force, and "the fewer" means fewer revs... And the WHY is because of the spinning in the first place!

NOW- the corollary is "Balls to the walls!" meaning the engine is turning at full speed, and the balls (or mice) have gone to the fullest extent (the walls) of their range! Additionally, "Flat out" (as in "going flat out"winking smiley refers to the arm the balls are on, being pretty close to straight across from one ball to the other because of the speed...

Scott

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
I love stuff like this. I learned something today.

I wonder if there is an error in the first sentence. To me, "WHY is a mouse when it spins?" is a nonsense sentence or a sentence fragment. There seems to be a word missing after mouse - "Why is a mouse _______ when it spins?" I don't have the foggiest idea what word might be missing, but it remains an incomplete sentence without some word there.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-23 09:06 AM by Spitfirejoe.

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Cool.

smoking smiley

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Very interesting indeed. I would never guessed that seemingly nonsense joke was actually about steam engines

~Hazen.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
In reply to # 1472451 by Spitfirejoe I love stuff like this. I learned something today.

I wonder if there is an error in the first sentence. To me, "WHY is a mouse when it spins?" is a nonsense sentence or a sentence fragment. There seems to be a word missing after mouse - "Why is a mouse _______ when it spins?" I don't have the foggiest idea what word might be missing, but it remains an incomplete sentence without some word there.

Nope! It is all there... This was one of my Grandfather's favorite expressions... It is, I believe, intentionally corrupted looking...

Scott

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
A rodent type mouse does not spin, so "a mouse when it spins" refers to a particular kind of mouse. So the question is effectively why does such a thing exist?

It's a riddle, not a grammar lesson smiling smiley

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
In reply to # 1473022 by TR3driver A rodent type mouse does not spin

You have obviously never seen a mouse trapped in the middle of a parking lot... Saw that one time- Poor little guy was in the middle of a small parking lot, but everything in his sight distance was blacktop, and everything he cold smell was blacktop as well... He just started spinning like a top! I think he was doing 120RPM... Trying DESPERATELY to find a direction to go to get home... Back to the grass... I finally went out with a dustpan, and scooped him up, carried him to the curb, and set him loose... He made a very straight line into the tall weeds!

Scott

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Saw a mouse cross the freeway in front of me on my way into work this morning (OK yesterday morning). I managed to straddle him in his journey, and he was still moving in the right direction when I saw him in my rearview mirror, and the car behind me missed him too; I think he survived the car in the next lane over, but there was a line of cars in that lane, and I can only speculate that if he didn’t stop to let them all pass then he’s now ‘road pizza’.

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster