AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
While working on my bro-in-laws wood shop yesterday one of the big sanders stopped working. The result was that the motor needed a new switch. I grabbed the old one as it looked remarkably similar to the rocker switch used for the headlight switch.
I brought it home and worked on it. Attached are a handful of photos I took during the process of resurrecting it.

It comes apart the same as our switch, by spreading the case and allowing the two plastic pins to release and lift the moving piece out of the case. Once out you can see it has the same spring loaded pin and extensions that reach down to the metal strap piece that opens and closes the contacts. As this one is only and ON/OFF switch there is only one pin and strap with no middle stop.
On this one, it failed for the same reason our switches often do, extreme corrosion on the contact points. In this case it was mostly burned on wood dust. A quick scrape of the solid contact and the contact on the metal strip, reassembly, and poof. A switch that shows very good contact (basically 0 resistance between the pins) when the switch is thrown.
I will add that this switch has a secondary lower piece that can also be separated to make cleaning easier.
I have posted this info so that many others have an opportunity to see how easy it is to rebuild our switches. I hope this helps. I also have similar shots of one of our actual switches if it is a benefit to anyone. This one will almost fit into the standard switch hole in the dash. Need a cool switch with a safety tab in it?
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170329_165319.jpg    15.2 KB
20170329_165319.jpg

20170329_165311.jpg    21.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170329_164108.jpg    22.7 KB
20170329_164001.jpg    10.9 KB
20170329_163704.jpg    22.3 KB
20170329_163714.jpg    32.4 KB
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Years ago, I bought the first in a series of small air compressors, the kind that plug into the cigarette lighter. It wasn't all that expensive, so I wasn't too frustrated when it first got stubborn and then stopped working completely. I soon realized that it was the little rocker on-off switch that was the problem, so I replaced it with a cheap toggle switch.

Manufacturer of the failed rocker switch? Clear Hooters. winking smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I guess no one can be perfect.
It would be interesting to me to see one of the Clear Hooter switches and the Lucas switch to see just what the differences are.. They look very similar on the outside , I think.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links