A question of aesthetics

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dsw6551 Don Weeks
Hopewell Junction, New York, USA   USA
I own a 1971 TR6 with a Sienna Brown exterior, and a New Tan interior. The tonneau cover is black, and to my eye it just doesn't look right on the car - like wearing a brown suit with black shoes, or visa versa. The previous owner must have had the same opinion, because he dyed the black top in a shade of brown that matches the paint perfectly, and I really like the look.

I value the opinion of other Triumph owners, so here is my question of aesthetics for the group: I plan to dye the tonneau cover this winter. Should I dye it Sienna Brown to match the body, or New Tan to match the interior?

Thank you for your input.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
If it were me, I'd match it to the interior, Don. The contrast between the tan and brown would be attractive.

Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Either would look good, but personally, I think the PO had it right. Dye the top to match the exterior paint.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BritFan Edward Kaizer
Godfrey, Ilinois, USA   USA
I like matching the interior, but with that said.....I have blue interior on my TR6 with both black tonneau and boot cover. Would be interested in how easy and permanent dying vinyl really is. Any recommended brands?

Ed

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
I like matching the top to the interior in your case based on the combination of colors you have. (I worded it that way because I don't always think matching the top to the interior is the best choice for other combinations!)

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

dsw6551 Don Weeks
Thanks for your opinions, fellas. I have a "real life" poll going on as well, and have not yet made a final decision. I'll document my adventure here on the forum when I begin the process. I have my product search narrowed down to 2 suppliers: parasolinc.com and rubnrestore.com. Both offer custom color matching, and the dye can be brush or sponge applied - I'll be performing the tonneau cover recoloring process on my dining room table, so aerosol sprays are out.

dsw6551 Don Weeks
Using Photoshop, I drew a tonneau cover on a photo of my car, and colored one rendering with New Tan, and the other with Sienna Brown. Despite my bias for using the body color, once I saw the pictures side by side, the decision was easy - New Tan it is. I chose Rub 'n Restore as my vendor, and this morning I mailed out a couple of swatches cut from an old seat cover which they will use for color matching. Once I get everything together, I'll start a new thread to document my dyeing experience step by step.

Don

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1428014 by dsw6551 - New Tan it is.

The right call! thumbs up

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links