TRExp

Odds & Ends Forum

What's your favorite product for cleaning up the engine compartment?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
I just replaced the water pump in my '68 Spitfire. While I had the radiator out, I thought I'd clean up things in that area and wanted to know what folks are using to clean up their engine bay. I've been using simple green for years, but wondered if there was another product that worked better and wouldn't harm painted surfaces. What do you guys use?

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tymnmony Avatar
tymnmony Victor Fleishman
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I like to use spray nine. I use it for the engine , and vinyl . Comes in a spray bottle.
.http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/spray-nine-multi-purpose-cleaner-disinfectant-0390467p.html

peerlessgt paul milsom
leigh on sea, essex, UK   GBR
I tend to use gasoline and a broom, easy to dry out, just burn off the excess with a match..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, California, USA   USA
In a serious note I have detailed many engine compartments during my body shop years. The worst residue is bondo dust when washing down the car prior to the spray booth and having the dust settle in the engine compartment that you did not wipe down. So I use Dawn dishwashing liquid in a warm bucket of water. The warmer the water the better Dawn will work. Also, I would use engine brite foam, followed by Dawn with a rag not a sponge so you do not knock wires or smog hoses off without knowing. Then rinse with water, followed by blowing air over the area washed. If you do not have a compressor - reverse your shop vac and it will perform the same job.

Marian Lubinsky Marie Miguel
SG, SG, Singapore   SGP
If you are looking for a water based degreaser which is biodegradable then an Auto Chem -HD clean will be advisable. It is the most versatile.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I have used 3M engine degreaser for years without any paint issues. It should be done in an area that can be cleaned up afterward, perhaps the car wash.
I do like the idea of the Dawn liquid for final cleanup, it is great.

Dan

OLD.2CV.CITROEN.MAN Avatar
OLD.2CV.CITROEN.MAN Barry Iddon /B
Liverpool., lancashire, UK   GBR
1976 Honda Civic "A Honda That Wonders."
I heat up my old Twin Tub Hotpoint washing machine in my Garage, I have had it since 1965 still excellent by the way, I use it for my Oil..ee overalls... sling in a litre of household bleach and soap powder, then scrub out all the engine bay area's and any thing else I am working on.... done this for 50 years or more always works for ME

Attachments:
CLEANING THE BELL HOUSING..JPG    57.9 KB
CLEANING THE BELL HOUSING..JPG

Another Exposed View.JPG    81.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
READY TO FIT NEW CLUTCH UNIT. SEPT. 12th 2017.JPG    54.9 KB
ON MY DRIVE WORK IN PROGRESS. Sept 9th 2017..JPG    80 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster