Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

71trymph Avatar
71trymph Greg Stangl
Merrimac, WI, USA   USA
Am having a great time getting my Spit ready for painting... I painted a few cars back in college and did a terrible job with them. Thinking I will do a better job this time.. found a great local paint supplier guy and he is going to walk me thought the steps. He figured out my out of pocket in the $500 range.. have debated back and fourth about single stage vs base and clear coat, he recommends single stage...

Have completed the body work and am now getting ready for a high fill primer and lots of block sanding..

Am planning on building a paint booth inside my garage.. that should be fun.. I will send some images along as I perform more of the steps..

Hope to have this puppy on the road by next summer... Greg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Last paint job I did consisted of 2 primer coats - sanding between each one - one base coat - two color coats (sanding between coats), plastic pin striping, followed by 7 clear coats - sanding between each one... to the point the pin striping was smoothed into the finish with no bumps..... Did it in a large garage with fans set up to exhaust fumes.... It's been years - but - was easy and turned out flawless.... Lasted 7 + years until I sold that puppy....
Z

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Need lot of pictures as you go.

BTW: I've seen cheap tarps, a staple gun and a roll of duct tape used to protect a garage.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
Is someone planning on painting their car, or did we just revive a post from 2014 for fun?

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Ressurrected threads are always fun to revisit.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

wildwood Avatar
wildwood Rick Howe
Wayne, NJ, USA   USA
Well since were revisiting the past painting of our cars I’ll show how my rolled on paint job is holding up being I don’t have a garage , I did fix some small rust spots and gave the whole car a fresh wet sand and compound.

Attachments:
900B5FF3-86CE-47A3-B8E7-7F1FD46BE4A9.jpeg    56.5 KB
900B5FF3-86CE-47A3-B8E7-7F1FD46BE4A9.jpeg

F6CC3CED-F1E9-496F-9E98-8E405CDD2DA1.jpeg    60.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
52F3BB36-B8FA-4E37-A3B4-88416A9ACB66.jpeg    67.4 KB
F1796C53-5A3E-4812-9D94-84178A34D980.jpeg    79.3 KB
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Looks nice, Rick. I've seen a lot of cars (on the Internet) with rolled-on paint jobs. To my untrained eyes, they look beautiful. And most of the jobs come in under a hundred dollars -- and that's if you spend a lot on the sundry items you need to do the job. Over on the MGB Experience forum there's a guy who did his car in Rustoleum TopSide marine paint. It too looked really nice and seems to have held up well. I have a hard time justifying spending thousands of dollars more on a paint job than the car originally cost.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

wildwood Avatar
wildwood Rick Howe
Wayne, NJ, USA   USA
Thanks Doug I agree on not wanting to pay big money on a paint job with the way these cars have rust just show up out of nowhere and not having a garage spraying the car without having a neighbor complain is to much to ask for, so i'll just keep touching up spots and saving money again thanks .

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
At least with a home paint job you can take everything (like tailights) off.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
This is a fascinating old thread.....

I'm a purist and perfectionist..... and know that 90% of the cost of new paint is the prep work.... All of which we all are capable of in our driveways...... Lots of care - lots of sanding - then more sanding - then even more sanding..... (I'm a general contractor and have learned over the years that prep work is the hardest part of any job)..... I'm fascinated by the tone of this thread.... from "roll on" to "Maaco" - to multi - thousand dollar paint jobs...... to which I say "to each his own".... There are no "right answers" - only what works for each individual... Some jobs look great from a distance - some stand close scrutiny from the judges....

In my humble opinion - if you're going to go to the trouble to restore an old classic (a cheap one, but a classic nonetheless).... do it right. When we paint my daughters newest acquisition (78 spit) - every bit of hardware from the door handles, bonnet latches, bumpers, window trim, to the snaps for the convertible top - will be removed (tape is a sin - lol).... even the registration plate on the door jamb will have to come off - to be riveted on later after painting. It doesn't cost anything but time and sweat to get the car ready for a proper painter - who can shoot the entire vehicle in just a few hours for minimal expense...... after lots and lots of work on your part..... Proper shooting is an art - prep work is nothing but sweat and time....

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Changing colors dramatically can lead to major expense - depending on what you do.... Just the exterior - cheapest - ---- moving to painting the door jambs, trunk/bonnet undersides, engine compartment, etc... to match..... getting up there.....

Z

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
The Spit is already a "wow" car so all it has to do is shine.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1501802 by TheZster Changing colors dramatically can lead to major expense - depending on what you do.... Just the exterior - cheapest - ---- moving to painting the door jambs, trunk/bonnet undersides, engine compartment, etc... to match..... getting up there.....

Z

Ideally you are pulling inner and outer waste seals, seats, rug, and inner panels,......then the tub from the frame.

Jim Conaty Avatar
Swampscott, Massachusettes, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Bumblebee"
Well, since you resurrected this old topic, here's my completed Spit from post #18. Driveway painted under an EZup.

Jim

Attachments:
20171008_124622.jpg    43.7 KB
20171008_124622.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster