Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Coil spring spacers

Posted by Flyagain 
Flyagain Avatar
Mike M
Centerport, New York, USA   usa

Anyone know of a source to get coil spring spacers to fine tune ride height? I found some on Moss Europe, but haven't found any US suppliers. The lowered springs dropped my Spit more than the 1" advertised, and I'd like to pick it up a bit in the front.

- Mike M
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Dan A
walla walla, washington, USA   usa
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Bellevue"   → more

Depends on how much you need to put it back up. Often used are aluminum spacers that go on top of the spring hat under the top of the tower. They have a limit in thickness due to the length of the bolts that go through. If you are thinking of those squirrely twist in things used back in the 70's, they will fall out when you lift the car, and look cheesy. The reverse clamp pieces are equally ugly IMHO.
I am curious about the spring allowing the car to be too low. Do you have taller tires? I don't believe I have ever had someone complain about the car being lowered too much by the replacement springs. Perhaps they are cheap ineffective springs?

Photos?

Dan
Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   usa
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1967 Triumph Sports 1200 "The Munsonmobile"

p/n 125441: $35.00 each from Spitbits, or $15.54 each from Canley in the UK (shipping might eat up much of the difference). Either way, that's the factory 3/8" spacer used on some cars for various reasons.

http://triumph-herald.us/
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

How about height adjusting shocks with the screw on plates?

I just checked and my can of whoop-ass is past it's use-by date.
Peter Boutsicaris
cleveland ohio, USA   usa

Had same issue with my 1979 Spit when I switched to the shorter, stiffer springs. I bought four TR4 coil spring spacers from a Moss dealer and only needed two to correct the slack in the spring and keep my front down slightly. I can sell you the two spacers, if you wish to pm me, for $20 (includes shipping).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2013 05:58AM by medinasurgeon.
Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   usa

There are a couple of threads on this already that are worth tracking down.
Because of the geometry of the suspension, to estimate ride height change you must multiply the spacer thickness by a factor.
ISTR that it's around 2:1, so a 3/8" spacer would raise approx 3/4".
Anyway, it's really simple to make the spacers with hand tools, from virtually any flat material; aluminum, steel, plastic, etc.
There's no precision required.

In one of the recent threads, a member posted a template that you can use.

So a couple of thick ones and a few thin ones enable you to stack them to achive the desired ride height.

You don't have to diassemble the shock/spring, just jack the car and remove the 3 little nuts that hold the assembly to the turret.
The spacers fit right there between the assembly top plate and the turret.

Carter
Moss Pauly
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia   aus

I would be careful with plastic. I had this same issue and made up spacers out of a thick nylon chopping board. After a couple of drive there were serious visible crack all over the board. Needless to say I replaced it with a few layers of conveyor belt rubber. I have the spacers from Canley sitting in the shed but the rubber has been fine so i haven't seen any reason to change it. Just be careful what material you use.
Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   usa

Good info Moss,
I have only used aluminum, but had seen postings about using plastic.
Had not thought of rubber, that's even better.
90632D Avatar
Fox Trapper
Various, USA   usa

Wood works as well. Not soft pine but a piece of oak. I've used this in between the tower and the plate, not under the coil itself, or as a coil wedge block.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8