3 Point seat belts

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cowskey Stan WO
Oneonta, New York, USA   USA
My 63 spitfire didn't come with seat belts. The mounting points are there for lap belts, but I was wondering if a retractable 3 point seat belt could be installed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Yes, but you'll have to provide the bracing on the fender wells where the bolts go through. There might be kits for this with the plates provided.

1963 Spit Avatar
1963 Spit Ken J
California City, CA, USA   USA
I went with a fixed 3 point on my 63 and it works fine.
Ken

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cowskey Stan WO
Oneonta, New York, USA   USA
Ken, do you have a pic as to where you mounted the shoulder part of the seat belt?

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Shouldn't the same mounting point that the squaretails use work for the early roundtails?

See Dan's pictures in this thread:

Triumph Experience thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-29 01:57 AM by Spitnut64.

GBspit Avatar
GBspit Graeme Brown
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand   NZL
Stan, have a look at the Securon site. Securon were fitted to the MklV spits. (ones that came to NZ)
http://www.securon.co.uk/index.htm
They should fit you spit just fine.
The buckle packed up on mine, they were a flexible webbing type. I did want to replace with the stalk type type and Securon recommends the 500/30 on their site for spitfires. The 300mm stalk however is much to long so I opted for the fixed metal strap at 150mm long. (pt 500/15)
I had to cut down their 4/33 bracket and redrill to fit the tunnel mounting.
http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/brackets.jpg
As far as mounting the retractor head read
http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/500fitting.htm
http://www.securon.co.uk/seat_belts_firstframe.htm

Seems so you have plenty of rules for seatbelts like the rest of us smiling smiley
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.209

Attachments:
Seat Belt.jpg    58.6 KB
Seat Belt.jpg

Seat Belt2.jpg    69.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
I recently replaced the seat belts in my wife's 80' Spitfire with a kit I bought from James Paddock, part# JPR929P. They also have ready-made anchor plates, TT7968.
http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/parts.aspx?searchtext=seat%20belt

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

1963 Spit Avatar
1963 Spit Ken J
California City, CA, USA   USA
Stan,
Here are some pictures of my 3 point setup on my ’63. The point I drilled is approximately 1-1/2” from the top of the arch in the fender well and approximately 3-1/4” from the left side of the arch. Let me know if you need anything else.
Ken

Attachments:
Driver Seat belt mount.jpg    29.7 KB
Driver Seat belt mount.jpg

Seat belt bolt in fender well.JPG    29.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sjharris68 Stephen Harris
Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand   NZL
Hi Graeme, I am fitting the exact same 500/15 set to my 1973 Mkiv and wondering about that bracket.
With what you did, did you take 50mm or so off the stalk to lower it down?
Looks to me that it is going to be well over the top of hip as is on my car.
I dont have a photo, but I fitted the 4/33 upside down which sits well, but the bracket sticks out into the side of the seat and looks like it would have a lot of rotational torque on the mounting point.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Looking at the site it seems they offer a 10cm buckle.

But I too wonder about the inflexible bar attatching the buckle. A flexible cable would seem better.

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
The link I provided before is dead, so here's an updated one for Spitfire seat belts: JPR929P

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
My OE belts are this style, where the buckle is mounted on the top of the transmissin tunnel.

The belts look to be in good order, but the buckle and it's white buttons look worse for wear.

Attachments:
inertial.jpg    53.7 KB
inertial.jpg

GBspit Avatar
GBspit Graeme Brown
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand   NZL
In reply to # 1496951 by sjharris68 Hi Graeme, I am fitting the exact same 500/15 set to my 1973 Mkiv and wondering about that bracket.
With what you did, did you take 50mm or so off the stalk to lower it down?
Looks to me that it is going to be well over the top of hip as is on my car.
I dont have a photo, but I fitted the 4/33 upside down which sits well, but the bracket sticks out into the side of the seat and looks like it would have a lot of rotational torque on the mounting point.
Hi Stephen, I used the 4/33 bracket. Re-drilled a new hole on the longer side then cut the old hole and excess bracket off. I didn't want to cut the buckle stalk or alter the standard setup in any way. The buckles sit snug down the sides of the seat and don't interfere with the operation of lifting or sliding. I did find that the buckle and stalk would drop down between the tunnel and seat, so I used a nylon type washer of the right thickness to provide a bit of friction between the buckle stalk and the bracket. The buckle now sits perfectly and makes clipping the belt a one handed operation. Just edit to add after 4 years or so of operation the drivers side bracket has turned itself clockwise about 2 or 3 deq. This seems to now be its natural operational position.

In reply to # 1496981 by Tonyfixit Looking at the site it seems they offer a 10cm buckle.

But I too wonder about the inflexible bar attatching the buckle. A flexible cable would seem better.
Tonyfixit, the inflexible bar works just fine. I did have the same concerns as you have, and certainly with the longer bar/buckle that they seem to recommend. I did also consider some variation on a flexible stalk but am very pleased with how mine turned out. The top of the buckle sits in a natural position about 75mm above the backrest / seat cusion junction, doesn't get in the way of normal driving operation, feels very comfortable. I just like the one handed operation in coupling the belt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 03:37 PM by GBspit.

Attachments:
Bracket.jpg    99.9 KB
Bracket.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Thanks Graeme, makes sense!

BCL Lynn Gardner
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Just a little food for thought: the positioning of the shoulder belt is very sub-optimal in the early cars (don't know about the later cars), I recall reading a study not too long ago that suggesting that a low mounted shoulder belt was likely to cause more trauma than just a lap belt because of the low position of the shoulder belt mount. In the event of an accident the low mounting point will likely cause severe compression of the thorax with resulting injures, on the other hand the likely hood of surviving that kind of deceleration in our LBC isn't real high anyways belted or not.

Now ask me if I wear mine? I sure do but I really don't think the physics support my decision. YRMV
Cheers,
Lynn

L Lynn Gardner
66 Triumph Spitfire
68 Honda CT90
68 E Type OTS
73 E Type 2+2 V12

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster