AutoShrine Sponsor

2nd-LBC Avatar
2nd-LBC Silver Member Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Wilson"
In reply to # 875057 by clshore
In reply to # 874964 by Dickie B ...
For the rear:
The diff sits square to the frame (we assume the frame is straight and square, ie, not higher on one side compared to the other side)
So the diff has to be square to the frame because of the pin bolt at the rear of the diff and the front hangers. that's important because the spring is attatched to the diff.

The two front diff mounts (the big rubber bisquits) have more influence than the bushings in the rear ears.
Compare the thickness of the rubber, about 3/16" rear, about 1" front

Carter

I'll be sure to meassure these as well. Thanks Carter!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brentsimpson Brent S
Boca Raton, FL, USA   USA
Robert, did you get it leveled?
If so how, I got same problem.
Brent

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Brent, I sent you a PM.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
I'm sorry to report that I have not found a fix yet. I'm at the stage of taking it to a chassis shop to check for a possible twist.

Jamesh81 James Holian
Rio Grande, NJ, USA   USA
Perhaps when you reassembled the suspension, you tightened everything fully with the car still suspended and created a preload on the suspension bushings. A 1/2" difference is a lot based on bushing preload, but anything is possible.

I say put car on the ground on its own weight, loosen the rear suspension a little and let everything settle in under the cars weight, then retighten.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
Not sure about Brent (above), but I checked for that twice. I even rolled the car a few feet back and then forward before tightening everything-up, no change. 1/2" lower on the rear driver side, slightly less on the front driver side. When I rolled the car on to a 1/2" board under each wheel individually, the problem seemed to fix itself while under the rear driver wheel. At this time, the lean on the front driver side was negligible.
I did replace the rear leaf spring, maybe I got one that was not bent to specs.(?) I bought the one made in England, which I've heard are of the best manufacture...

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Either the spring is tweaked, or the diff mountings are off.
The large front diff bushings (biscuits) could be off.
Should be enough room to simply undo the two front mound nuts and washers, swap them left-right, and see.

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
"Come on Eileen" (Dexys Midnight Runners)

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
Thanks Carter, I'll be checking that in a week or so and respond with results. thumbs up

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
Although I would like to find the source of this problem, this may be a quick fix.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-19 06:14 PM by 2nd-LBC.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
I'm about to go into my garage and install the leaf spring on the Spitty. I removed it earlier this week to reseal the diff. I also replaced the buttons on the driver side with thicker ones. Hopefully this will help with the 1/2" lean. In my mind I'm just remedying instead of fixing the fault, but this will have to do for now.

I would like to be certain that the spring is assembled correctly before I install it back in the car. I'm almost certain that I have kept the correct alignment of the main spring position in relation to the others. Nonetheless, I was looked to the Hayne's manual p(.279) for guidance. Line #8 in the included attachment reads: "...reassembly, ...main leaf, ...safety leaf, ...GROUND EDGE AT CENTER FACES, ...unstamped legs, ...(towards the rear when installed)".

I can see clearly the stamped and non-stamped legs of the spring clips. The problem is finding that ground edge at the center of the main leaf. Frankly, the main leaf seems to be symmetrical on both sides. I can't see what difference it would make to install it one way or the other. But, since I've had this issue of the lean, and the spring being on the bench, I want to triple check before I install it back again.

Thank you all for your suggestions,

Robert and "Eileen" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 09:30 AM by 2nd-LBC.

Attachments:
Leaf spring 001.jpg    54.9 KB
Leaf spring 001.jpg

leaf spring 2 001.jpg    85.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Wheels1980 Avatar
Wheels1980 G Wheeler
Rocky river, Ohio, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Trumps"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup "Lumpy"
Tilt your head to the right. smiling smiley

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
I'm "leaning" more towards feeding my wife till she weighs-down the pass side! LOL

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I suppose you could flip the rear spring and see if it's simply worn out from the prior owner's beer gut.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1496663 by Doug in Vegas I suppose you could flip the rear spring and see if it's simply worn out from the prior owner's beer gut.

2013!

I think that by now he has either fixed the problem, got a 300lb wife, or got rid of the car (and possibly wife)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster