AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

2nd-LBC Avatar
2nd-LBC Silver Member Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Wilson"
First results are back.
With the sway bar disconected, I placed a 1/2" plywood under the rear tire: the lean was reduced to 1/4" on both front and rear. Same results when plywood placed under front tire.

I'm including a picture of what the car looks like from back. 1/2" may not sound like much, but it sure shows!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_7475.JPG    39.4 KB
IMG_7475.JPG

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Now try it again with the ARB connected.

dcarguytr3 Doug Lindberg
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Yah, make sure All bushing attachments were tightened when car was sitting on it's hoofies (tires). And, it doesn't hurt to run it around a bit with everything not quite snug to let things settle, then tighten things with the wheels on the ground. Another thing is, one can measure the fitted and unfitted length of the front road springs, see if they are the same.
Now, on my GT6, there IS a half inch spacer on the drivers front spring, from the factory. I assumed this was to correct for the extra weight of the left hand gas tank and the LHD driver. Steve Hunt suggested this mod. Could be the easy fix. cool smiley
D.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hunttriumph1500 Avatar
hunttriumph1500 Stephen Hunt
Colchester, Connecticut, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Oldest Spitfire Owned"
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "First Triumph!"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Parts Car"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Junk Yard Dog"    & more
I doubt the sway bar is bent, I have only seen one bent sway bar out of maybe 50 plus Spitfires I have worked on so far...

Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, South Carolina, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
Robert,

For the rear:
The diff sits square to the frame (we assume the frame is straight and square, ie, not higher on one side compared to the other side)
So the diff has to be square to the frame because of the pin bolt at the rear of the diff and the front hangers. that's important because the spring is attatched to the diff. Then,it could only be a few things that can make it higher on one side.
So if the diff is square and the spring is new, that should be square. Is the spring square?
A bigger tire (surely not the case),
One bad shock (not the case if yours are new), won't effect the height directly, but will wear out the spring on that side.
One vertical link is bent re-drilled or shorter?
The spring bolts at the vert links were tightened before the car was down on the ground?
You have bad axle joints? The axle keeps the tire in axial location. If it is bad or the axle flange was changed and it wasn't put on the same distance from the u-joint as the other side, it could be longer? making that side sit lower.

Just my thoughts for the discussion. Hope it helps.
By the way, Rose sat like yours and when I completely overhauled the rear end, it fixed it.

Use this same logic for the front. But tackle them one at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 02:57 PM by Dickie B.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 874898 by clshore Now try it again with the ARB connected.

I loosened the anti-sway bar to the point that both links had “play”. They were lose during all my testing so I can conclude it’s not twisted. smiling smiley

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 874964 by Dickie B Robert,

For the rear:
The diff sits square to the frame (we assume the frame is straight and square, ie, not higher on one side compared to the other side)Only by the 1/2" lean
So the diff has to be square to the frame because of the pin bolt at the rear of the diff and the front hangers. that's important because the spring is attatched to the diff. Diff bolted-on correctly with rear pin bolt and front hangers with new bushes Then,it could only be a few things that can make it higher on one side.
So if the diff is square and the spring is new, that should be square. Is the spring square? Spring is square on the "box" on top of the diff
A bigger tire (surely not the case),all tires are 175/70 13
One bad shock (not the case if yours are new), won't effect the height directly, but will wear out the spring on that side.
One vertical link is bent re-drilled or shorter?looked fine when taken for powder coating
The spring bolts at the vert links were tightened before the car was down on the ground?Check
You have bad axle joints?replaced The axle keeps the tire in axial location. If it is bad or the axle flange was changed and it wasn't put on the same distance from the u-joint as the other side, it could be longer? making that side sit lower.both seated at the same distance and within specs

Just my thoughts for the discussion. Hope it helps.
By the way, Rose sat like yours and when I completely overhauled the rear end, it fixed it. that a girl!

Use this same logic for the front. But tackle them one at a time.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
EUREKA, I think.
I measured the springs under load, the driver's side is compressed EXACTLY 1/2" more than the passenger's! ARB is still lose. I made the mistake of tightening the bushes on my TR6 with tires off the ground. I remembered and didn’t repeat the same mistake again. This is one less variable as well.

So, road spring settled on driver side?

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
I lifted the chassis, front left, to compensate for the 1/2" of the road spring. The rear leans 1/4" on same side now. (Yes, I've been working on this most of the day.) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Attachments:
IMG_7478.JPG    41.8 KB
IMG_7478.JPG

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Take a break and have a few beers. After the first six-pack, the car will start to look straight.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 875026 by britsnspits Take a break and have a few beers. After the first six-pack, the car will start to look straight.

smiling smiley !!

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
dupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 07:14 PM by 2nd-LBC.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 874964 by Dickie B ...
For the rear:
The diff sits square to the frame (we assume the frame is straight and square, ie, not higher on one side compared to the other side)
So the diff has to be square to the frame because of the pin bolt at the rear of the diff and the front hangers. that's important because the spring is attatched to the diff.

The two front diff mounts (the big rubber bisquits) have more influence than the bushings in the rear ears.
Compare the thickness of the rubber, about 3/16" rear, about 1" front

Carter

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Robert,

I like that both your Triumphs seem to be matching colors. Are they both Vermillion?

Mike

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 875078 by britsnspits Robert,

I like that both your Triumphs seem to be matching colors. Are they both Vermillion?

Mike

Thanks Mike!
The Tr6's color is "Pimento Red". It's more tomato in color, not as orangy as the Spitty. smiling smiley

I was actually searching for a white TR6 like the ones my Dad had, but after a year-search I found this one 5yrs ago in Toronto, and settled for this very nice color. One owner, 43K documented miles, factory survivor. The Spitty actually found me. Wasn't looking for it, but with identical conditions as the 6 and only 32K, had to have it. I had always liked the lines of the Spitfire, I just wasn't looking to own one. Like some one told me when I started inquiring about the Spits, "you'll never have so much fun at 45 MPH". People ask me which one I like better, my answer is: "I love some things about each one of them just the same".

Cheers,
Robert

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links