AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

2nd-LBC Avatar
2nd-LBC Silver Member Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Wilson"
I bought my 1980 Spit on April and it had the typical rear squat. I replaced the leaf spring, bushings and shocks on all corners. Also replaced the sway bar bushings, turnions, and tires and serviced the brakes. The car went from an unacceptable gross negative camber in the rear to a slight positive with the new leaf spring. Took the car for alignment and it fell within specs.

I later noticed the car sits half an inch lower on the driver side; measured both at the front as well as the rear. The car was a one-owner-car and the PO told me it had never been in an accident. Having worked on the car and driven it 2K miles, I can also tell the chassis is straight and the car’s paint is original all around.(accident free)

I have checked and rechecked all the suspension for any mistakes I could have made when assembling everything back. It’s very straight forward, I have prior experience with this type of work, and I also have manuals to assist when necessary. All bolts have been checked for proper torque and all seems visually correct from underneath.

I have included some pictures of the raised suspension. Here it’s clear that the opposite side, passenger, lifts off the ground half an inch higher than the driver’s while resting on stands of equal height on a level surface. Is this normal? My prior experience does not include leaf springs.

Any thoughts on what’s making it “lean” to one side? BTW, when I seat my butt and the rest of my 250lbs in the car, it gets a bit worse… eye rolling smiley

Thanks,
Robert

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
crop.JPG    35.2 KB
crop.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG    39.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Try switching the front springs L to R.

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
I assume that you replaced the rear trunions, so a stuck trunion can't be the source of the trouble. Have you disconnected the sway bar and checked if the problem goes away?

It may just be that your frame has taken a twist for whatever reason. If you can't find any other reason, take your car to a frame shop and have them straighten it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
I will try that, thanks Al.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-20 10:34 PM by 2nd-LBC.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 874804 by britsnspits I assume that you replaced the rear trunions, so a stuck trunion can't be the source of the trouble. Have you disconnected the sway bar and checked if the problem goes away?

It may just be that your frame has taken a twist for whatever reason. If you can't find any other reason, take your car to a frame shop and have them straighten it.

All 4 trunions replaced. I will disconnect the sway bar and see what happens. Thanks!

hunttriumph1500 Avatar
hunttriumph1500 Stephen Hunt
Colchester, Connecticut, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Oldest Spitfire Owned"
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "First Triumph!"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Parts Car"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Junk Yard Dog"    & more
This is an all to common problem. Every spitfire I have owned did this... (To help fix this, besides new suspension all around) I put air shocks in the rear and a spacer on the diiver side spring, no more than 1/2 inch thick between the the top of the spring and the spring perch it's bolted to. This will rectify all of this... The Spitfire has a cheap not well engineered rear end, that requires a bit of extra effort to stave off excessive negative camber and the driver's side lean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-20 10:39 PM by hunttriumph1500.

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
You could always change Roxie's name to Eileen.

dave-skip-fire-four-iv- Avatar
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
robert are all your spring buttons there .my car did that also and i found a broken trunion bolt driver side rear it was a pain .but got it done. i installed munroe air shocks in my car rides nice now and sits level .....

British Steel Jon Canupp
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
Eileen is that one legged woman that works at the IHOP. She has a one legged sister named Peg. grinning smiley

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 874820 by British Steel Eileen is that one legged woman that works at the IHOP. She has a one legged sister named Peg. grinning smiley

And they have a nasty friend named Naomi, spelled backwards is I moan.

hunttriumph1500 Avatar
hunttriumph1500 Stephen Hunt
Colchester, Connecticut, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Oldest Spitfire Owned"
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "First Triumph!"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Parts Car"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Junk Yard Dog"    & more
oh yeah, I forgot, change those leaf buttons to something other than those flimsy rubber ones!! Did I spell flimsy right? doesn't look like it..flliimmsyy...

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
To troubleshoot requires only a flat level surface and a piece of 1/2" plywood, about 12"x12".
On the low side, first the front and then the rear, position the wood, and then roll the car forward about 5 feet so that the tire sits on it.
Measure and record the heights all around.
The tire which restores equal ride height is where the problem lies.
If it's a front, then that spring has settled, or the anti-roll bar is tweaked, or bushing bolts were tightened with the car in the air.
You can swap springs left-right, but flipping the ARB will not fix anything (use a bent paper clip to convince yourself of this).
If it's rear, then sagging/bent spring, tight bushings, binding shock, bad diff mounts, or damaged/missing spring buttons
BTW, my advice is to throw away all the spring buttons, and apply a thin later of graphite, or moly grease between the leaves.
If you are paranoid about road dirt, wrap the lubricated spring bundle in rubber tape, or stretch a piece of bicycle inner tube over each side.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 874811 by britsnspits You could always change Roxie's name to Eileen.

CLEVER!!! LOL grinning smiley

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 874836 by clshore To troubleshoot requires only a flat level surface and a piece of 1/2" plywood, about 12"x12".
On the low side, first the front and then the rear, position the wood, and then roll the car forward about 5 feet so that the tire sits on it.
Measure and record the heights all around.
The tire which restores equal ride height is where the problem lies.
If it's a front, then that spring has settled, or the anti-roll bar is tweaked, or bushing bolts were tightened with the car in the air.
You can swap springs left-right, but flipping the ARB will not fix anything (use a bent paper clip to convince yourself of this).
If it's rear, then sagging/bent spring, tight bushings, binding shock, bad diff mounts, or damaged/missing spring buttons
BTW, my advice is to throw away all the spring buttons, and apply a thin later of graphite, or moly grease between the leaves.
If you are paranoid about road dirt, wrap the lubricated spring bundle in rubber tape, or stretch a piece of bicycle inner tube over each side.

You addressed my concern as to which end may be at fault. This will surely pinpoint if it's only the front or the rear! I'll be doing this first...

Thanks

2nd-LBC Avatar
Valrico, FL, USA   USA
Great ideas guys! I'll keep you posted on my findings. First I'll go to IHOP to look for Naomi, Peggy, and Eileen and offer them a ride on Roxie. This may also level the Spit some. Wait, they would have to weigh 250+, not a good idea!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster