Front wheel bearing grease cap removal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spits Avatar
spits paul krause
In a previous thread on the topic I noted putting a rivnut in the hole. You'll then have threads to drive it off.
Best
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
I've always just tapped it a little, turn the wheel, tap some more. Once the rib pulls away from the hub enough, you can get a stubby screw driver in there and tap & turn against it until the cap is free. Takes less than a minute. No damage. No dents.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497457 by scardini1 I've always just tapped it a little, turn the wheel, tap some more. Once the rib pulls away from the hub enough, you can get a stubby screw driver in there and tap & turn against it until the cap is free. Takes less than a minute. No damage. No dents.

I keep a small rubber mallet just for that.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BartB Avatar
BartB Bart B
Pleasant Hill, Iowa, USA   USA
Hey Michael, just had to do this last week and had the same exact problem.

Here is what worked for me. Get a wood chisel that is really sharp, put the beveled side of the chisel flush with the hub, then tap it enough to cut slightly into the cap.
Then heat the outside of the hub with a blow torch to expand it a little. At this point put the chisel back into place and tap the end of the chisel with a small hammer
and wala, you have defeated the giant. Very little damage.

The advise of brazing a nut to the inside is a great idea, wish I would have done that!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster