Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MichaelB48 Avatar
MichaelB48 Michael B
Vancouver, vancouver, wa, USA   USA
My left front wheel has a bit of play. I tried to get the grease cap off but no dice. Turning in screws just reams the hole larger as they strip out - the metal is too soft. There are no surfaces to use adjustable pliers on. The chisel and turn trick does not work. I need the magic method - or do I just order another and destroy this one taking it off?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Grip it with a largish-size pair of water pump pliers and tap on the pliers with a hammer while gripping. It'll come off eventually, at which point it'll probably look like h-e-double-hockeysticks but also most likely will go right back on. If the look doesn't bother you (i.e., if it continues to live under a hubcap of some sort), fine. It'll still do its job!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Get a bigger screw with coarse threads, a block of wood and a claw hammer to pop it off. Just hook the claw over the screw and POP!

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
British Steel Jon Canupp
Monroe, NC, USA   USA
If you replace them, have a small nut brazed to the inside and keep a matching bolt in your tool kit to remove them on the next trip.

MichaelB48 Avatar
MichaelB48 Michael B
Vancouver, vancouver, wa, USA   USA
I'm used to caps with a shoulder. These are bell-shaped with no shoulder, hence a comlete lack of gripping surface. I like the braze-on nut idea! I will try a lag screw and see what developes before extreme measures (hacksaw) are taken.

In reply to # 873992 by Herald948 Grip it with a largish-size pair of water pump pliers and tap on the pliers with a hammer while gripping. It'll come off eventually, at which point it'll probably look like h-e-double-hockeysticks but also most likely will go right back on. If the look doesn't bother you (i.e., if it continues to live under a hubcap of some sort), fine. It'll still do its job!

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Before the hack saw, just tap top/bottom, left/right with the hammer. It may give thema 40 mission crush but it will come off. As long as the swedge edge is still nice and roundish it will go back. I've used the head of a ball peed hammer to "re-round" the thing. used to be new ones were not so expensive either.
Dan

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Second worst-case scenario, enlarge that center hole just enough to get some needle-nose pliers (regular or locking: your choice) for grip and tap on that! Chances are you'll still be able to hammer it back into shape; if not, it's off!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
Does anyone know the diameter of these things? Mine has none and the local Auto Store has some for various NA model cars.

If none of those work I will get a friend to try and 3D print a set for me

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
You need to use a lifting pry bar type action to the lip of the cap. You can manage that with a flat screwdriver. Go all the way around. I've also had success with channel locks and rubber mallets. The cap is just like the ones on other RWD cars but smaller. Everything on the Spitfire looks like it's been scaled down.

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
Try a hammer and screwdriver sideways into the hole. Should pop off. If it's not working then just buy some more for a few £s/$s and hammer the crap out of them until they come off.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
In reply to # 1496604 by Doug in Vegas You need to use a lifting pry bar type action to the lip of the cap. You can manage that with a flat screwdriver. Go all the way around. I've also had success with channel locks and rubber mallets. The cap is just like the ones on other RWD cars but smaller. Everything on the Spitfire looks like it's been scaled down.

I bumped an old thread.. I think the question has already been answered.. I was asking about the diameter of them in this thread instead of starting a completely new one

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1 & 5/8"

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Attachments:
D603EB56-7CE7-4D5D-AAED-F07E9F99459D.jpeg    32.8 KB
D603EB56-7CE7-4D5D-AAED-F07E9F99459D.jpeg

060A87B8-042C-42E1-ABBE-268CBE985933.jpeg    25.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Nice pics. You can see the part where you have to slip in a tool to pry.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Remember the Spit/Herald are different diameters to the GT6/Vitesse (larger). With the new ones rater than welding a nut on the inside I drill the hole in the top larger and fit a threaded collapsible style pop rivet with the flat head on the inside. Future removal then easy, but remember to keep the bolt in your tool kit.

Peter T

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
I caught hell for it, but I just used my wifes' cork screw.

Marty

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links