Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Hi, for those of you that have a GT6 and wish to install a 3 point harness, I put my 3rd attachment point up on the B C pillar roof rail. There is already a hole there but no nut, so I welded the nut to the back of a 12 ga plate, opened up the existing hole slightly to except the nut into the recess. Then welded the plate to the rail, do not use too much heat at one time as you do not want to distort the roof.This location is much better for the shoulder strap, the inertia reel mounts to the wheel arch mounting point. Obviously I had the advantage that my headliner was already removed, as was all other trim items in the vicinity.
Regards,
Paul.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Welded nut plate.JPG    26.5 KB
Welded nut plate.JPG

Top Mounting.JPG    57.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
3 point seat belt.JPG    52.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
lloydsw Avatar
lloydsw Silver Member Lloyd Williams
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1453588 by 69gt6stopp Hi, for those of you that have a GT6 and wish to install a 3 point harness, I put my 3rd attachment point up on the B C pillar roof rail. There is already a hole there but no nut, so I welded the nut to the back of a 12 ga plate, opened up the existing hole slightly to except the nut into the recess. Then welded the plate to the rail, do not use too much heat at one time as you do not want to distort the roof.This location is much better for the shoulder strap, the inertia reel mounts to the wheel arch mounting point. Obviously I had the advantage that my headliner was already removed, as was all other trim items in the vicinity.
Regards,
Paul.

Paul, that is awesome. I ordered the inertial reel based on having the clip on the pillar. It wasn't until I got the seatbelts, opened the clip, saw the tiny phillips screw, and realised (note the British spelling) that is was merely for holding up the static shoulder harness. I don't have that access and don't know how to weld, so drilling the hole to match the manufacturer's original spec for an inertial reel was the path of least resistance. But I really like the way yours came out.

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bomb"
In reply to # 1452670 by carChips Chris, hold on there, have you checked the cost of shipping from the US? Plus it can take up to 3 weeks to clear customs. Rimmer's has a better deal https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XKC2528__15BLACK it costs 4GBP to ship and you'll get them next week.

So I went to check out on Rimmers and it's not 4gbp... I'm in Canada - it's $40 USD to ship so almost $55 Canadian for a small box. Wow.

That doesn't even include duties/taxes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
So I ended up buying the short-stalk 3-point kit from Rimmers... shipping was pricey and the duties/taxes weren't fun but it ends up being about $100 cad per seatbelt setup.

With that said, the ONLY hole I haven't located but *think* I can kind of feel is the mounting spot by the door.

Does anybody have a measurement of how far this should be? And is this a hole with a threaded nut on the back of it so I just put a bolt into it, just like the stalk mounting bolt?

Any help would be appreciated - I plan to install these this week and I just need to work out that hole as well as whether the kit itself has the right thread/size bolts to fit the car, or if I have to go get new grade 9 bolts.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
If you mean the one on the floor you can see it from under the car. Poke an awl through the hole to locate it through the carpeting.

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Yes the one by the door on the floor. So I can get under the car and I'll see the hole through the rocker/frame for it?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Yes. You'll see the nut welded in place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-25 11:09 AM by Doug in Vegas.

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
In reply to # 1459847 by Doug in Vegas Yes. You'll see the nut welded in place.

Ok thank you Doug, I'll give it a look tonight and see if I can locate it. It'll be nice to have seatbelts in this car, finally.

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Looks like I have to drill a hole or two

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Has the floor been changed before? There should be a bolt welded to the bottom about 4" ahead of the rear kick panel and right beside the rocker.

'S all for now
Vic

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Chris,
The placement of the missing bolt location on the passenger side, should be a mirror of the location on the drivers side. You have the driver side location, so you should be able to cut a template from its position and use it flipped over for the passenger side. From inside the car use the heel board and the inside sill,(rocker), as your two reference surfaces on the template. Perhaps a PO repaired the floor and did not prepare it for a seat belt mounting.
The floor is normally reinforced in that area with a thicker backing plate before the nut is welded on to the underside. If you are going to be just using a bolt with separate nut, you should add two large diameter fender washers to use as a sandwich either side of the floor hole with your mounting arrangement. I think a nyloc nut would be better to use with your bolt than a spring washer and regular nut to secure, the size you will need is 7/16-20 NF.
Hope this helps,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
If you can't weld one option I always suggest is a quick trip to a muffler shop.

Often those guys will do a quick job on the side for the price of a dinner for them and the wife.

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Got it all done - thanks guys.

Now I need to order the guides for the belts because it's incredibly annoying when they disappear behind the seats. lol

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Get in the habit of picking it up when you get in.

'S all for now
Vic

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
In reply to # 1461634 by carChips Get in the habit of picking it up when you get in.

Absolutely not!

New Seatbelt guides installed. I'm very happy with the overall package and feeling of safety in the car.

Attachments:
IMG_0236.JPG    37.6 KB
IMG_0236.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster