Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lloydsw Avatar
lloydsw Silver Member Lloyd Williams
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
Well I just spent an un-fun 1 1/2 hours trying to find the lower mounting point by braille. Top one was easy to find. Interesting that in a previous life this car had an inertial reel shoulder harness. I'm about ready to give up, grab a drill and make a whole in the bottom of the wheel well. Anything I need to be aware of?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Lloyd,
Do it the other way. Find the hole from the underside and poke something through to give the location.Then you can cut the vinyl or melt the carpet for the seat belt bolt.
All the best,
Paul

lloydsw Avatar
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
Thanks to these diagrams provided by another forum member, I was able to determine that my car was setup for the static shoulder harness. The clue was the clip on the top of the pillar. So out came the drill for the bottom hole on the wheel well. Unfortunately, the only way I could mount the stalks was to use an included 'L' bracket which interferes with the tunnel trim and isn't very visually appealing. And yes, my OCD flared up at the misaligned stalks, but I will fix that today before putting the seats back in.

Hopefully this will help anyone contemplating taking advantage of TRF's set belt sale.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
inertial.jpg    53.7 KB
inertial.jpg

static.jpg    53.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20170424_150712.jpg    47.4 KB
IMG_20170424_150836.jpg    57.3 KB
IMG_20170424_151005.jpg    40.5 KB
TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Bomb"
In reply to # 1452452 by lloydsw Thanks to these diagrams provided by another forum member, I was able to determine that my car was setup for the static shoulder harness. The clue was the clip on the top of the pillar. So out came the drill for the bottom hole on the wheel well. Unfortunately, the only way I could mount the stalks was to use an included 'L' bracket which interferes with the tunnel trim and isn't very visually appealing. And yes, my OCD flared up at the misaligned stalks, but I will fix that today before putting the seats back in.

Hopefully this will help anyone contemplating taking advantage of TRF's set belt sale.

Seat belt sale? Where? We need to add them to our Spitfire and I'd prefer a 3 point over the lap belt. Ours is a 75 so it's "supposed" to be setup for it, but the PO had the interior re-finished and removed them so I need to find those holes.

Step 1 is to get belts! Whats TRF?

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452468 by TheBomb
In reply to # 1452452 by lloydsw Thanks to these diagrams provided by another forum member, I was able to determine that my car was setup for the static shoulder harness. The clue was the clip on the top of the pillar. So out came the drill for the bottom hole on the wheel well. Unfortunately, the only way I could mount the stalks was to use an included 'L' bracket which interferes with the tunnel trim and isn't very visually appealing. And yes, my OCD flared up at the misaligned stalks, but I will fix that today before putting the seats back in.

Seat belt sale? Where? We need to add them to our Spitfire and I'd prefer a 3 point over the lap belt. Ours is a 75 so it's "supposed" to be setup for it, but the PO had the interior re-finished and removed them so I need to find those holes.

TRF is The Roadster Factory. If you want to take advantage of their sale, you'd better do it soon. The sale ends Thursday, April 27th! Here's a link to the sale http://trf.zeni.net/wc/specials14.16/?s_wt=1600&s_ht=900

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
In reply to # 1452474 by gfe05111952

TRF is The Roadster Factory. If you want to take advantage of their sale, you'd better do it soon. The sale ends Thursday, April 27th! Here's a link to the sale http://trf.zeni.net/wc/specials14.16/?s_wt=1600&s_ht=900

Thank you for the info, I'm going to order a set tomorrow.

Do these come with the hardware required for installation, too? I'm missing the two bolts required in the back seat as well as the bolt by the door...

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452597 by TheBomb Do these come with the hardware required for installation, too? I'm missing the two bolts required in the back seat as well as the bolt by the door...

You'll have to inquire at The Roadster Factory about what hardware is included. If it's not, I would think you could find those bolts at any good hardware store.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

lloydsw Avatar
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452597 by TheBomb
In reply to # 1452474 by gfe05111952

Thank you for the info, I'm going to order a set tomorrow.

Do these come with the hardware required for installation, too? I'm missing the two bolts required in the back seat as well as the bolt by the door...

Yes, the kit I bought had all the hardware, more than needed. The important thing is you need a 'short stalk'. When I ordered mine in August, there was a difference between short & long stalk part numbers. For reference, my invoice shows TRFSB304, followed by the colour code. (Note how I slid the British spelling in.) I would call to make sure you don't end up with a long stalk before ordering

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Chris, hold on there, have you checked the cost of shipping from the US? Plus it can take up to 3 weeks to clear customs. Rimmer's has a better deal https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XKC2528__15BLACK it costs 4GBP to ship and you'll get them next week.

'S all for now
Vic

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 865850 by laverda1200 Hi Randy and all

thanks for that.

I found the mounting point high on the wheel well, and I found the mounting point in the floor not far from the outside rear seat track bolt point by locating it from under the car.

I haven't found a mounting point yet low on the wheel well, but the problem is that I had my twenty year old son fully HushMat the entire interior shell, then glue in felt carpet underlay, then install a brand new carpet set, as well as all new foam and vinyl including the wheel wells.

I can see the mounting point high on the wheel well from inside the rear wheel well, but I can't see a mounting point lower down, looks like the brand new vinyl and foam and HushMat may have to come off the wheel wells........

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!

Paul

The lower hole is in a direct line under the top hole.

You can locate it by stabbing a thin needle. Start from the bottom. Use chalk to mark it.

lloydsw Avatar
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452718 by Doug in Vegas

You can locate it by stabbing a thin needle. Start from the bottom. Use chalk to mark it.

Except if it doesn't exist. I spent 1 1/2 hours trying to find mine. If the car was setup for a static shoulder harness, it won't have the lower hole.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452729 by lloydsw

Except if it doesn't exist. I spent 1 1/2 hours trying to find mine. If the car was setup for a static shoulder harness, it won't have the lower hole.

Did someone replace the entire inner quarter panel?

lloydsw Avatar
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452834 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1452729 by lloydsw

Did someone replace the entire inner quarter panel?

No, no evidence of that & it would have to have been both sides. Referring to the diagrams above, cars setup for the static shoulder harness don't have the bottom hole.

For those contemplating drilling a hole, mine is 3 3/8 in from the back, and 3 7/8" from the bottom. Had I I to do it over again, I would make the hole about 1/2" higher. It was real bitch to get a socket in the little space below the reel to tighten the bottom bolt.

TheBomb Avatar
TheBomb Chris Gill
In reply to # 1452670 by carChips Chris, hold on there, have you checked the cost of shipping from the US? Plus it can take up to 3 weeks to clear customs. Rimmer's has a better deal https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XKC2528__15BLACK it costs 4GBP to ship and you'll get them next week.

Hum.

Now you've created a conundrum for me. lol

lloydsw Avatar
Mine Run, VA, USA   USA
FYI, TRF has extended the sale for a week to include the short stalk mentioned above (TRFSB304).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster