Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Hi all

72 Spit Mark IV. I bought it not running for a decade or so, wiring harness burnt up, interior trashed, etc. The only obvious belt mounting point is in each rear wheel.

I bought "inertia reel 3 point seat belts" for the car from Moss Motors
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32447&SortOrder=20

that link takes you to the TR 6 section, but Moss sells the same part number for the Spitfire, listed in the online pdf parts catalogue at page A9

bloody things come without instructions. I haven't even figured out what to use for mounting points, other than my car has a seat belt anchor hole in each wheel well behind where the seats will eventually go.

when the seat belts arrived from Moss I realized they are from BEAM's, which make likely 80% of the aftermarket seat belts, and are just generic. If I had known that, I might have just bought them from any of the BEAM's retailers who sell them full bore retail for $65 each rather than Moss's greatly inflated price of $120 each. Price issues aside, I was expecting instructions from Moss as to how to mount them in a Spitfire, especially now that I look at the listing more closing and see they are described as coming with a B pillar mount, where the Spitfire does not have a B pillar in the sense that I understand that term.

Has anyone fitted a set of these belts to a Spitfire? How are they installed and where do the anchors attach? Help, please. Or, do I just send them back for a refund?

Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rainking1958 Avatar
rainking1958 Randy Scott
Green, ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Kermit"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Runt"
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
This is from a GT6, but the mounting points are the same. I have a 79 Spit and this is where mine mount. I also had a 69 with Factory belts that used the same points.
Randy

Attachments:
GT6_seat_belt.jpg    92.7 KB
GT6_seat_belt.jpg

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Randy,

I'm knocked out! You've got a GT6 with the optional rear seat? Can we get pictures of that? It's really rare.

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rainking1958 Avatar
rainking1958 Randy Scott
Green, ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Kermit"
Mike
Sorry to disappoint. I grabbed that off the net.
I wish I had a GT6. Always wanted one.
I currently have an 79 Spit and an 80 TR7.
I have owned a 65, 67, 69 and 76 Spitfire's
Also 67 Sunbeam Alpine, 68 Austin Healy Sprite, 72 TR6 and 67 Jaguar XKE.
Just a little net plagiarism.
Did not have any available photo's of my Spits mount points and its cold in the garage.
Randy

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Hi Randy

thanks for the photos, but...... Makes sense if there is a B pillar to do a top belt mount to, which obviously is not the case with a Spitfire.

how is the mounting of the belts supposed to be in a Spitfire? Do you still do two different anchor points in the rear wheel well?

PAul

rainking1958 Avatar
rainking1958 Randy Scott
Green, ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Kermit"
Paul
The mounting points are identical.
there is 1 high on the wheel well, 1 low on the wheel well and 1 just in front of the bulkhead on the inside rocker-panel just next to the seat. My 69 Spit had factory inertia belts with the same setup. Since you have a 72 the mount poins should be there. You can see the reverse side of these on the tire side of the wheel well.

Seat belts are a necessary pain and in the Spitfire which was designed prior to a common use of seatbelts not real convenient.
They have no real good place to hide out of the way. Some have devised a holder which attaches to the headrest to support the retracted belt for ease of use. They are not much better in a TR7, although the designers put a plastic pouch by the rear of the door to slide the male end of the latch into for ease of access.

My 65 and 67 only had lap belts which attached to eye-hooks in the floor on either side of each seat.
Randy

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Hi Randy and all

thanks for that.

I found the mounting point high on the wheel well, and I found the mounting point in the floor not far from the outside rear seat track bolt point by locating it from under the car.

I haven't found a mounting point yet low on the wheel well, but the problem is that I had my twenty year old son fully HushMat the entire interior shell, then glue in felt carpet underlay, then install a brand new carpet set, as well as all new foam and vinyl including the wheel wells.

I can see the mounting point high on the wheel well from inside the rear wheel well, but I can't see a mounting point lower down, looks like the brand new vinyl and foam and HushMat may have to come off the wheel wells........

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!

Paul

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You're messed up now Paul, the stem part bolts down on the inside of the seat and the bolt goes into the frame. The hole can't be seen from under the car and is impossible to find if not marked before the carpet goes down.

'S all for now
Vic

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Hi Vic

yeah, sort of what I was starting to think...... I am going to call JP tomorrow and see if I can arrange to drop by his place to do some measuring of the location of the mounting point holes on his stripped bare Spit shell before I start ripping up my sons hard work on the interior...... Live and learn.

Paul

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
I can check the distance from the rear deck to the stem attachment for you, and then it is just a matter of poking around with an awl 'til you find the hole. The hole for the stem is pretty much at the very base of the driveshaft tube, and you need the little spacer that goes on the bolt to take up the space between the floor and the frame.

'S all for now
Vic

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
Depending on how thick the carpet and underlay is, the hole should be 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 inches from the back and 20 1/2 from the door side, less if you have the weather strip on.

'S all for now
Vic

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
thanks so much, Vic.

I am heading out to the garage with my awl now to do a bit of poking around to find the mounting hole.

Paul

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Hi Vic

found the mounting points on the drive shaft tunnel using your measurements, thanks so much!

Paul

laverda1200 Paul LeClair
well, two steps backwards, stripping one wheel well of its fresh foam and vinyl, and removing various other bits, found the top mounting point on each wheelwell for a seat belt point, no lower mounting point to be found on either wheel weel. Made lower mounting points, reinforced them appropriately, then put everything back together, so after two steps back, end result three steps forward, so a bit of progress made today, the seat belts are now in, and I drilled out the four stripped 1/4 threads for the convertible top mounting plates, tapped them to 5/16 24, drilled out the mounting plates to match, just need to pick up some new bolts tomorrow for the convertible top mounting plates, then I can start trying to figure out how the convertible top frame is supposed to attach so I can start thinking about installing the new Robbins canvas top.......

car still doesn't run, I have all the interior wiring to do for the dash/ignition/etc but I have been putting off gettting back to the wiring, circling around the wiring topic warily as I complete as many other tasks on the car as I can.......eye rolling smiley

Paul

Fun times Bruce Clark
La Puente, California, USA   USA
Vic, I know it has been a couple years since this forum, but I had to say thanks for your info on the seat belt hole position. I was ready to remove my seats and new carpet trying to find these stupid holes. My ice pick found the holes easily with those measurements. Saved me a lot of time. Thanks again....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster