Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Fiberglass body parts...

Posted by Daytona Hot Rods 
Daytona Hot Rods Avatar
Tom Roberts
Daytona, FL, USA   usa

I would like everyone's feedback as to whether there is a market for fiberglass body parts! If there is a market and if so, which parts would be most desired!
Thanks for the input.
Tom

martin s
dublin, columbus, USA   usa

Fiberglass trans tunnel cover. They are too expensive from New parts suppliers and would be easy to do in fiberglass. I think there's a market for mk1 and 2 gt6 hoods as well. I can't find anything that doeant need serious reconstruction.

britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

I agree with the hood replacement. Especially if you did a version of the LeMans racing bonnet with the headlight covers. The cost of shipping from England is a killer...but I imagine the cost of that much fiberglass isn't cheap either.

I trunk lid would be nice as I think both the old and new body styles had problems with rust. There are fiberglass replacements available, but again, the cost of shipping overseas...also, I hear the round tail replacement boot lids don't fit very well.

I just checked and my can of whoop-ass is past it's use-by date.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rampant racing Avatar
gary fraser
sarnia, ont., Canada   can
1969 Triumph Spitfire "King Henry V 8TH"

a tonneau for behind the seats with headrests built in like you can get for the mustangs would be cool.front valance for the mk111 and maybe others would be good as they take alot of punishment and are hard to find.

spitfire50 Avatar
Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   usa

Tom,
In the past most panels for the Spitfire have been available in fiberglass. The problem was that they didn't fit very well and the finish wasn't very good. When steel panels were almost unobtainable they were viable, but when good reproduction steel panels returned to the market the GRP panels dropped out.
Good luck,
Paul

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
ken siskin
Horseheads, USA   usa

bumperettes for the front......maybe even a front bumper?

1968triumphgt6 Avatar
Louis Boudreault
Montreal, Canada   can
1968 Triumph GT6 "Charlize"

How about a GT6 hood bulge that you could retrofit on a Spitfire hood ? Wouldn't be too much of a hassle to ship.

...not sure if doable, but worth a thought grinning smiley

carChips Avatar
Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   can
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"

Tom, the hardest to find part for any spitfire is the front scuttle. Left hand drive ones are very hard to find and when you do find one it has the same issues as the one you want to replace.

'S all for now
Vic

rampant racing Avatar
gary fraser
sarnia, ont., Canada   can
1969 Triumph Spitfire "King Henry V 8TH"

how about good looking well fitting fender flares so the people that want to have a larger tire have a choice.right now a person has to get very creative to say the least.vw rabbit,dodge omni and stuff but even those are hard to find now.you can buy universal flares but the don't fit worth a sh!p.just a suggestion.

Darrell M
Huntsville, Tx, USA   usa

In reply to # 859998 by rampant racing a tonneau for behind the seats with headrests built in like you can get for the mustangs would be cool.front valance for the mk111 and maybe others would be good as they take alot of punishment and are hard to find.

+1 on this!

Gt6s Avatar
Laurence Cochrane
Newtownards, UK   gbr
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2600 EFI"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2500"
1976 Triumph Spitfire "Sixfire 2500"

Here is a link to Honeybourne mouldings here in the UK, may give you some ideas.

http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/triumph.htm

Laurence

69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spitwad"
1968 Volvo Amazon (122) "Rollsie"

maybe in rust prone salty areas
but the car already has so little resistence in a crash
isn't fiberglasss even more delicate?

Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   usa

Actually, fiberglass can absorb a significant amount of energy as it deforms and fractures.
But if you are seeking crash protection in a Spitfire, well, better to pin your hopes on it's ability to avoid them.

carChips Avatar
Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   can
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"

Fiberglass doesn't look as bad when it's bashed into, just cracks and springs back.

'S all for now
Vic

Daytona Hot Rods Avatar
Tom Roberts
Daytona, FL, USA   usa

Thanks for the input and I welcome more!
Some of the items I was thinking of were possibly a wide body set of fenders(wings). To pull this off I could see a three piece front end enabling mixing and matching front fenders and flat or GT6 hood center.
This was one concept on the subject with a lot of other ideas....
This is a great place with a great group!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8