Spitfire 1500 Rear end conversion questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
An easier and simpler front mount can be made from a stock Spitfire mount.
Cut a large downward 'U' shape out of the middle of the Spit mount to just clear the R160 snout, with the bottom open.
Weld a pair of angles going forward from the Spit mount to the rearmost set of R160 mounting holes.
Only 1 pair of R160 holes is needed, as the forces are not great (the NZ mount is just a flat piece of steel bent to fit).
Drill a hole in the mount on each side of the bottom of the 'U', and bolt in a heavy reinforcing strap to close the 'U'.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geeteesix Avatar
geeteesix martin diederen
kerkrade, limburg, Netherlands   NLD
Maybe a little bit off topic now but since march 2013 the Quaife is fitted to the 3.63 spit diff in my GT6 with 160 horse power and after 30000km now I can say that it was a succes and for me the best solution without disturbing the factory construction of the GT6.

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, Maryland, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
I basically cut to top portion out as this makes it parallel to the bottom of the R160. Pretty simple and quite strong once I added the braces on both sides.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
What will you do for a spring mount?

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
I plan to build something similar to what Larry Porter did below. Basically will build two brackets to bolt to the differential and after they are built, will bolt them on and then take the top piece and drill it for the spring (using my 3/4 spacer piece as the guide as to where to drill the holes) and the place it on the brackets and tack weld it in place when it is centered. I'll then remove it and do the final welding/bracing and clean it up. Photo is not mine, but what I intend to build.

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Here is the spring mount, just made up from 1/4 steel plate and used a cardboard template and a drill press and angle grinder to make the side pieces.

Dlwoolsey Duane Woolsey
Salt lake, Utah, USA   USA
How did you handle your wheel ends of the CV axles? I am currently struggling with that.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Radius rod to tub?

Dlwoolsey Duane Woolsey
No, sorry. How did you connect the subaru cv axles to the wheel?

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1502102 by Dlwoolsey No, sorry. How did you connect the subaru cv axles to the wheel?
The CV axles don't 'connect' to the wheels.

Examine the picture at the bottom of this page, it is a Canley CV conversion axle assembly:
https://www.canleyclassics.com/rotoflex-vitesse-gt6-cv-conversion-kit/

The left hand side is the wheel stub axle, which features an integral CV joint.
It replaces the GT6+ wheel stub axle.
To install the CV axle assembly, the GT6+ hub must be disassembled, the wheel stub axle is removed,
and the CV axle assembly wheel stub axle is installed in it's place.

Dlwoolsey Duane Woolsey
So that is the answer to how they "connect" to the wheel. I guess that I missed the boat on that and will need to figure out another solution. thanks for your quick reply.

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
In my case, I am not using the Cantley CV axles but a hybrid of parts. I had my GT6 hubs machined out for MGF bearings and hubs. Once these are assembled, I am using an MGF outer CV joint that bolts thru the hub and the inner CV joint is Subaru. The MGF axles are slightly larger in diameter than the Subaru, so they will be cut down and splined for the Subaru side and reassembled. I'll post some pictures later today. The MGF hubs are much stronger, and the bearings are a modern design that do not require shimming and are much stronger.

The Cantley CV axles are the easiest if you are just looking to convert to CV axles and/or upgrade to the R160 diff. My setup is harder to replicate as you would have to chase down all the parts, but it is stronger which is what I was wanting, while keeping it all mounted in the stock locations and not requiring any body modifications.

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1502122 by dherr2 In my case, I am not using the Cantley CV axles but a hybrid of parts. I had my GT6 hubs machined out for MGF bearings and hubs. Once these are assembled, I am using an MGF outer CV joint that bolts thru the hub and the inner CV joint is Subaru. The MGF axles are slightly larger in diameter than the Subaru, so they will be cut down and splined for the Subaru side and reassembled. I'll post some pictures later today. The MGF hubs are much stronger, and the bearings are a modern design that do not require shimming and are much stronger.

The Cantley CV axles are the easiest if you are just looking to convert to CV axles and/or upgrade to the R160 diff. My setup is harder to replicate as you would have to chase down all the parts, but it is stronger which is what I was wanting, while keeping it all mounted in the stock locations and not requiring any body modifications.

Exactly the same deal, but using the MGF wheel stub axle rather than the Triumph 1300 FWD stub axle.
Both share the unusual wheel PCD pattern of 4 x 3.75".
The MGF stub axles feature the same integral CV joint design as the Triumph ones, it's by far the most common
modern design for CV axles assemblies used by FWD and IRS vehicles.
The Triumph stub axles are becoming quite scarce now, but the MGF stub axles are not exactly common either, especially in North America.

David, what diff are you using?

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
The diff is from a Subaru Legacy, R160 Viscous LSD with a 3.54 ratio.

Dlwoolsey Duane Woolsey
Thanks for all the info. I will continue to gather parts. Can anyone put together a list of parts needed. I have the diff but need to know what parts I will need get the rest done. Thanks for the help in advance.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster